Hugo Ferreira
msg tools
mbmbmb
Gloomhaven HP/XP dials (2nd printing) are compatible with your included monster sands:
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3954103/hugo-ferreira?size=m...

Helps to save precious table space, avoids accidental changes from laying dials flat, and always lets you know HP/XP at a glance. Had no idea they could fit like that!
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Very cool! Mine have the problem though that the wheels are a little too loose, so that a slight tap would change the HP and XP values. I found that the only way to avoid accidently moving the positions, is to keep them flat on the table so that their own weight gives the additional grip to keep them stable. How do you deal with that issue when the dials are put into the stands?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Beck
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
danom wrote:
Very cool! Mine have the problem though that the wheels are a little too loose, so that a slight tap would change the HP and XP values. I found that the only way to avoid accidently moving the positions, is to keep them flat on the table so that their own weight gives the additional grip to keep them stable. How do you deal with that issue when the dials are put into the stands?


I agree. My wheels are also very loose. I put a small piece of foam (w/ adhesive on one side, like you'd use to hang a poster) on the back of the cardboard (not the dial itself, but the bigger cardboard frame) and it caused enough friction to cause it to stop spinning like the Wheel of Fortune.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Ferreira
msg tools
mbmbmb
danom wrote:
Very cool! Mine have the problem though that the wheels are a little too loose, so that a slight tap would change the HP and XP values. I found that the only way to avoid accidently moving the positions, is to keep them flat on the table so that their own weight gives the additional grip to keep them stable. How do you deal with that issue when the dials are put into the stands?


Didn't know about that possibility: My dials are quite tight, and wont spin without the weels being touched.
Have you tried giving a good squeeze to the tittle black buttons on the center of each weel? That could help to tighten it, and stop the unwanted spinning.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco van Barneveld
Netherlands
EDE GLD
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danom wrote:
How do you deal with that issue when the dials are put into the stands?

I've seen people put a stand on each "wheel" on the side as well, to keep it from turning unintentionally. (made it look like an old game-controller though )
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter McCormick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugo_Ferreira wrote:
danom wrote:
Very cool! Mine have the problem though that the wheels are a little too loose, so that a slight tap would change the HP and XP values. I found that the only way to avoid accidently moving the positions, is to keep them flat on the table so that their own weight gives the additional grip to keep them stable. How do you deal with that issue when the dials are put into the stands?


Didn't know about that possibility: My dials are quite tight, and wont spin without the weels being touched.
Have you tried giving a good squeeze to the tittle black buttons on the center of each weel? That could help to tighten it, and stop the unwanted spinning.


Mine and a buddies copy are like his. You so much as lightly bump the dial and it shifts 1-2 numbers. In fact, that's why I'd never put them on a stand like that. We're playing on a pool table and laying them flat causes enough friction to cancel enough of the bumping to make them usable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
So I tried this and you can actually avoid uncontrolled moving by using 2 stands next to each other. If you do so, they will press against the two wheels and the dials will also stand much more stable.

Two problems:
1) In this way, you run out of stands quick.
2) You have to place them far away from you to be able to see your HP and XP values, unless you have a really high table and very low chairs.

So, I will just return to putting them flat on the table again
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter McCormick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
danom wrote:
1) In this way, you run out of stands quick.


You can say that again, in order to keep track of monsters easier, we put a stand next to their slot on the monster cards. So if I spawn 4 normals and 2 elites, I grab 8 white and 4 yellow stands.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
paverson wrote:

I agree. My wheels are also very loose. I put a small piece of foam (w/ adhesive on one side, like you'd use to hang a poster) on the back of the cardboard (not the dial itself, but the bigger cardboard frame) and it caused enough friction to cause it to stop spinning like the Wheel of Fortune.


We did something similiar with paperclips. It's not quite as pretty, though. Using stands for friction is definitely a much nicer quick solution.

Quote:

Two problems:
1) In this way, you run out of stands quick.
2) You have to place them far away from you to be able to see your HP and XP values, unless you have a really high table and very low chairs.


Or you can put the stands on the top half and lie the dials down. That way, the wheels won't spin and the dial is angle slightly towards you.

Stands running out aren't an issue for us. We invested the 5€ or so in 50 extra stands of different colors to match the dice we bought for hitpoints.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Ferreira
msg tools
mbmbmb
You can also just do this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3957169/paverson
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Morales
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
paverson wrote:

I agree. My wheels are also very loose. I put a small piece of foam (w/ adhesive on one side, like you'd use to hang a poster) on the back of the cardboard (not the dial itself, but the bigger cardboard frame) and it caused enough friction to cause it to stop spinning like the Wheel of Fortune.


We did something similiar with paperclips. It's not quite as pretty, though. Using stands for friction is definitely a much nicer quick solution.

Quote:

Two problems:
1) In this way, you run out of stands quick.
2) You have to place them far away from you to be able to see your HP and XP values, unless you have a really high table and very low chairs.


Or you can put the stands on the top half and lie the dials down. That way, the wheels won't spin and the dial is angle slightly towards you.

Stands running out aren't an issue for us. We invested the 5€ or so in 50 extra stands of different colors to match the dice we bought for hitpoints.


I took floss and wrapped it around the black plastic center piece on the rear of the tracker. 3-4 wraps then cut the excess and squeeze the excess under it as well.
3 
 Thumb up
1.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.