Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On 1/27/18 six players (Curt, Joel, Josh, Jess, Shaun and myself) met at the Fantasy Flight Game Center to recreate the final chase in The Road Warrior.

I drove the semi, Curt drove the two Settler vehicles (cop cars) while the rest played as Marauders; Jess drove Humungus (black van with turret and guy on top), Joel (black truck pickup with front ram and top mounted guns), Shaun (maroon coupe w/roll bars) and Josh (green buggy).

I wrote the scenario so both the Settlers and Marauders had a set group of vehicle states to choose from (so for the most part the actual vehicles they ran were just for looks).

Settlers:

Semi - Beside Max driving with his trusty double-barrel shotgun, there were also 3 passengers. Two on the tank that could shoot rifles 360 deg., with the one on the back also having a flame thrower (closest to molotov cocktails the rules can get, which were in the movie) and also the Fixer in the cab. Any round the Fixer didn't shoot, they could roll 1d6 and repair damage to the semi (1-2 no repair, 3-4 one hit and 5-6 two hits). It was also fitted with heavy ram plates in the front, sides and rear making it a force to be reckoned with. Since Max is such a spectacular driver, he also started the game with 4 re-rolls.

The Settlers could start the game with any of the following: Heavy Bike, Light, Medium or Heavy. Curt chose a Light and Medium. Each one got 1 re-roll (hey, they are the good guys).

Marauders:

Humungus - Nitro, offensive ram, run-flat tires, fuel cell, custom exhaust and two front mounted guns; as well as a 6 shot 44 Mag. revolver. In addition, a passenger on the back had a rifle with 180 forward arc. One re-roll for Humungus.

The rest of the Marauders could choose from Light Bikes, Light or Medium vehicles. Josh took a Light while Shaun and Joel took Mediums. The Marauders did not start with re-rolls, as they are too reckless.

We used "standard" A&A rules, based on the 3.0 setup/gameplay sheets found in the file section here on the A&A page, with the following exceptions:

If starting your turn in contact with the road, a vehicle received +1 to ACC or DEC. If a vehicle was off the road and skid or loss of control, +1 would be added to the distance. The semi was considered one level higher than a Heavy (for ramming purposes).

The Layout:

We setup four 4ft x 4ft terrain boards with road sections from beginning to end.

The goal for Max and the Settlers were to draw the Marauders as from away from the start as possible, to allow the rest of the Settlers to escape to "Paradise".

If a vehicle was destroyed, the opposing side was awarded a victory point. Passengers on the semi were also worth a VP (-2 to a hit roll to take them out) and the semi worth 4 VPs. If Max was able to get the semi to the end the Settlers won. If the semi was destroyed, the game went to the side with the most VPs.

Respawns: When a vehicle was destroyed, the player could choose either to come back as a Bike or a Light vehicle. Placement would be the back half of the current board (the furthest board their side had reached) and within 2" of the side. If they chose a Light vehicle, their side would lost a VP.

The semi started 28" from the edge of the first board and the Settlers could be anywhere within 12" of the semi. The Marauders had to start within an inch of the edge of the first board.

Some shots early in the game:

It didn't take long for the Marauders to catch up to the Semi and Settlers, especially when Humungus turned on the nitro.

Shortly after the above image, one of the Settlers whipped a 180 move and charged back at the Marauders!

While the semi was taking some damage, it didn't take long for the Marauders to realize the Fixer could repair most of the hits the semi took. Steak-Face (Shaun) stepped on the gas to try and get a shot at the Fixer. Meanwhile the rest of the Marauders attempted ramming the semi. While effective slowing the big rig down, it became apparent quickly the semi wasn't going to lose a ram easily.

You can see in the image above, some vehicles were already destroyed while others had lost control and were stopped momentarily. Even though his vehicle was on fire, from the flamethrower, Steak-Face roared up and took some shots at the Fixer. Eventually the Fixer was killed.

The Settler vehicles didn't last too long against the Marauder horde and were destroyed. A few Heavy Bikes came in as reinforcements for the good guys.

As Max took the semi to about the midway point of the second board, Humugus rammed the cab. Initially Humungus won the ram....but Max used a re-roll and was able to drive out of it. This spun out Humungus and left him sitting at zero speed right beside the cab. Max pulled out his VG Bentley shotgun and unloaded both barrels at Humungus, while the passenger of the tanker shot as well. The vehicle went up in flames from a fuel tank hit during critical hit rolls.

It was looking like Max might get away at this point, as he swerved off the road to take a more direct path to the end. Steak-Face swerved to the other side of semi and unloaded a barrage of gun fire then rammed the big rig....dealing enough damage to destroy the semi. The Marauders won on VPs!

Takeaways from the game: The reason I created this scenario is to run it at Con of the North next year, so I wanted to get the rules down. For the most part players thought it seemed balanced and liked that the Fixer gave them a goal to go after besides just destroying the semi. Since the semi made it to the middle of the second table in about 2 hours, it was suggested to eliminate the VPs and make the scenario all or nothing on two 4ft boards; if the semi reaches the end of the second table the Settlers win, if the semi is destroyed the Marauders win.

A few ideas and things to work on, and to run the scenario again at some point before the Con.

Have set respawn points, as coming in where they were could be too much of advantage for either side. The respawn points will be random. Have more curves in the road to possibly slow down both sides.

When the semi is rammed either have it go to 1/4 speed of the current speed (instead of half), lose a set amount of speed or have a minimum speed it can go too. As the Marauders best move was to keep ramming the semi to keep it from going too fast.

Make a chart with the semi tires, have the Marauders try to shoot them out to reduce the semi's speed.

I can't wait to play this again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Crater
United States
Ftw
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report. I love the vehicles and the car wars modifications installed. Brings back very fond memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a blast to play!!! One of my favorite scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bipf wrote:

It was fun to play. I'm looking forward to trying it again with the few modifications we talked about. Hopefully Max will get some revenge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Kline
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
Bipf wrote:

It was fun to play. I'm looking forward to trying it again with the few modifications we talked about. Hopefully Max will get some revenge!

Yeah, it was great, thanks for setting it up. It was very 'cinematic'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Fournier
United States
Columbia Heights
MN
flag msg tools
Brrrrrrr!!!!!
badge
I'm so cute!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play it again. The only thing that was missing was the little Ferrell boy with the steel boomerang
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joel4nier wrote:
I'd play it again. The only thing that was missing was the little Ferrell boy with the steel boomerang

Yea, it was difficult to work him into the scenario....so I created the Fixer instead.

That kid was cool though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CurtKline wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:
Bipf wrote:

One thing I don't think we talked about is if it felt like the Settlers amount of vehicles felt right? Getting attacked from behind, they aren't going to last long, just wondering if a min. two felt like a good number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
CurtKline wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:
Bipf wrote:

One thing I don't think we talked about is if it felt like the Settlers amount of vehicles felt right? Getting attacked from behind, they aren't going to last long, just wondering if a min. two felt like a good number.

I think 2 cars felt good. I think having Settlers respawn with light vehicles instead of heavy motorcycles could change things up a bit. Although ramming could be an issue if Settlers ram Marauders with cars constantly. It was fun fighting the motorcycles, and running them over, lol. Even if the motorcycles had 3 or 4 hits per line, they'd be so weak with ramming, it would be an interesting match up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.