Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once people have the basic idea of this game, is it fair to say it’s always a fight for awareness?

As in, why bother going for anything else, other than getting cards to level one, then gaining awareness?

From my initial impressions, it seems like trying to do anything else is a losing strategy, as it takes too long and is too easily reversed.

I’d be interested to hear from the designer/playtesters... once people get good at this game, do the other win conditions come into effect more often?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, 90% of games are ended by awareness. Other strategies - only if the opponent allows you to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
In my experience, 90% of games are ended by awareness. Other strategies - only if the opponent allows you to.

So we might assume that the other victory conditions act as a timer, rather than a likely way to win. That works. Just might be good in a rulebook to highlight this.

My thoughts were that as people become more familiar with the mechanics, perhaps this changed. But it seems so much easier to rack up awareness, and the game seems to be about optimizing your route to winning that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
3 secured people is doable, just not worth the risk/time. In many ways this game reminds me of Theseus. The underlying design idea is very similar: it can be a smart game with smart combos, if players allow for them, because they’re not playing to win. If they do however, the game flattens significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if this would be addressed with a simple house rule, that to raise awareness you need to pay the next awareness level + 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
I highly doubt it.

Why not? Just makes awareness a tad more difficult... all the other mechanisms remain the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
It will just make the game 5-10 mins longer, but won't change how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
It will just make the game 5-10 mins longer, but won't change how it plays.

So make it +2 for awareness cost, then.

At some point, I would assume, the challenge of paying that price will match the difficulty of filling out three cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.