Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
58 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] AKUR-GAL - 2018 9-Card Nanogame PnP Design Contest - Component Ready rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
What if there were four images, one to each corner, could you configure each images so they differed slightly and make the game even more difficult? This way, when you rotated the cards and added flipping, it could add a step higher in difficulty.

This is really a game that should have square tiles so you can rotate each 90 degrees. You'll probably want to try this after the contest.
These suggestions would indeed make the game pretty much the same as Scramble Squares
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tucky60 wrote:
kingspud wrote:
What if there were four images, one to each corner, could you configure each images so they differed slightly and make the game even more difficult? This way, when you rotated the cards and added flipping, it could add a step higher in difficulty.

This is really a game that should have square tiles so you can rotate each 90 degrees. You'll probably want to try this after the contest.
These suggestions would indeed make the game pretty much the same as Scramble Squares

Better to leave it as it is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

updating of the cards according to the suggestion of Caroline ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
etacarinae1965 wrote:
updating of the cards according to the suggestion of Caroline ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Giampiero

I played 4 quick games in a row (I found myself counting out the moves in my head to keep track as I went along).

Scored 7, 7, 6 and 6 - so I obviously have a consistently 'simple' mind

I had fun - although I often had to refer to the end solution which did make the game feel more 'mechanical'. 'Skill' comes from working out moves in advance - a bit like those sliding puzzles from my childhood.

Obviously the luck of the initial layout of the cards plays a big part e.g. if you have 2 cards that, when swapped, end up in the correct position. To achieve the lowest scores, some cards would need to start in their correct place.

I think the 'Set up' wording could be improved grammatically.
How about something like:
"Shuffle the cards, face down, and place them face up on the table to form a 3 x 3 grid.
On each turn swap the positions of any 2 cards.
In a maximum of 9 moves arrange the cards to create the original tablet design (shown below)"

You could then omit the diagram with arrows.

I echo others in that your choice of graphics is great - the finished tableau looks beautiful!

Good luck in the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tucky60 wrote:
Hi Giampiero

I played 4 quick games in a row (I found myself counting out the moves in my head to keep track as I went along).

Good luck in the contest!

Thanks Mark for your time ... I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I will follow your suggestion and rewrite the rules ... any word that serves to improve is welcome!

I will try to return in some way ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
tucky60 wrote:
I echo others in that your choice of graphics is great - the finished tableau looks beautiful!
What he said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogumił Koszałka
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is too easy. I literally in mind can always in 9 seconds said what it he least number of moves.
Answer:
(Print cards like chansen2794.)
Check how many cards is on place - answer is 9 minus this number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogumił Koszałka
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not same picture in all corners like below?
Now ther is 9 diffrent ending position, and game is more complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BogusKoszalka wrote:
Why not same picture in all corners like below?
Now ther is 9 diffrent ending position, and game is more complicated.
thanks for the advice ... I will try this scheme too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe there are only 4 different end position with the different layout, which is still better than 1.

I can see that you either shift all card on the left over to the right or vice versa or top to bottom or viceversa.

Is my simple mind missing something?

EDIT: yup... I see it now. Ignore my simple mind.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:
I believe there are only 4 different end position with the different layout, which is still better than 1.

I can see that you either shift all card on the left over to the right or vice versa or top to bottom or viceversa.

Is my simple mind missing something?

EDIT: yup... I see it now. Ignore my simple mind.

Chris
laughlaughlaughlaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using this idea for a harder to solve puzzle would work well ON THE REVERSE of the existing puzzle but using a very different colour scheme - eg cream tones Double the fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GarryHoddinott wrote:
Using this idea for a harder to solve puzzle would work well ON THE REVERSE of the existing puzzle but using a very different colour scheme - eg cream tones Double the fun

I am glad that this idea receives so many suggestions and I sincerely thank all of you who have tried it!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried and tried again ... thanks to the precious advice, I worked and reloaded the new versions of the files (including the back of the cards, as Marek advised ) in the main thread of Akur-gal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello giampiero,

Could you do me a favor and add a link back to the main contest thread so people who check out your game can find the actual 9-card contest?

Thanks

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
A nice cup of tea
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a few games of this last night, and found it quite a nice little distraction, but I also think you should make use of the back of the cards, however my thought was that you had the same picture reversed on rear, so that the centre column of 3 cards would be the same front and back however the columns on the left and right would have the opposite side on the rear. Then as well as being able to swap 2 cards position you could also have an option to turn 1 card over. I'm in 2 minds how this would actually effect game play (i think i'm going to print out a double sided copy and see ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Quiet Bump wrote:
I had a few games of this last night, and found it quite a nice little distraction, but I also think you should make use of the back of the cards, however my thought was that you had the same picture reversed on rear, so that the centre column of 3 cards would be the same front and back however the columns on the left and right would have the opposite side on the rear. Then as well as being able to swap 2 cards position you could also have an option to turn 1 card over. I'm in 2 minds how this would actually effect game play (i think i'm going to print out a double sided copy and see ).
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have prepared a hook-box to put the 9 cards ... the printable file can be downloaded from here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Wermelinger
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new A4 rules still show the old layout with multiple pairs of kings facing each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Wermelinger
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BogusKoszalka wrote:
This game is too easy. I literally in mind can always in 9 seconds said what it he least number of moves.
Answer:

That's just the number of cards in the wrong place, not the minimal number of swaps.

First, the maximum number of swaps is 8, not 9, because with each swap you can put one card in the right place, and after 8 swaps the 9th card must also necessarily be in its right place, the last remaining place.

Second, if 4 cards are out of place, you may need 2 swaps (like for 2143) or 3 swaps. So, the position of the cards also matters.

You might be right that the game is too easy. Because one can swap any 2 cards, the 3x3 geometry is irrelevant. The puzzle is basically: given a permutation of the digits 1 to 9 (e.g. 631298457), put them in ascending order by swapping any two digits at a time. The algorithm is very simple: if 1 is out of place, swap it with the digit in first position, next if 2 is out of place, swap it with the digit in 2nd position etc. After 8 swaps at most, you have 123456789.

I couldn't think of a way in which the order of the moves might be important. For example, you might have the 1 in the 3rd position, and then think "if I put the 3 in first position I could then with a single swap put 1 and 3 in their right positions". But why would you spend a swap to get the 3 into first position, to then do a second swap, if you could bring the 3 immediately to its right place in the first swap and then bring the 1 to the first position in the second swap?

Unless someone can show an example where the order of swaps matters to minimise them, this puzzle doesn't seem to require any thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prof. Plum wrote:
The new A4 rules still show the old layout with multiple pairs of kings facing each other.

oops!... blushI was wrong! I arrange everything as soon as possible ...

I corrected!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prof. Plum wrote:
BogusKoszalka wrote:
Answer:

That's just the number of cards in the wrong place, not the minimal number of swaps.

First, the maximum number of swaps is 8, not 9, because with each swap you can put one card in the right place, and after 8 swaps the 9th card must also necessarily be in its right place, the last remaining place.

Second, if 4 cards are out of place, you may need 2 swaps (like for 2143) or 3 swaps. So, the position of the cards also matters.

You might be right that the game is too easy. Because one can swap any 2 cards, the 3x3 geometry is irrelevant. The puzzle is basically: given a permutation of the digits 1 to 9 (e.g. 631298457), put them in ascending order by swapping any two digits at a time. The algorithm is very simple: if 1 is out of place, swap it with the digit in first position, next if 2 is out of place, swap it with the digit in 2nd position etc. After 8 swaps at most, you have 123456789.

I couldn't think of a way in which the order of the moves might be important. For example, you might have the 1 in the 3rd position, and then think "if I put the 3 in first position I could then with a single swap put 1 and 3 in their right positions". But why would you spend a swap to get the 3 into first position, to then do a second swap, if you could bring the 3 immediately to its right place in the first swap and then bring the 1 to the first position in the second swap?

Unless someone can show an example where the order of swaps matters to minimise them, this puzzle doesn't seem to require any thinking.

I love mathematical games ...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm seeing that the puzzle of this game is considered to be simple by some. However, I can see that it isn't simple to everyone, and it takes some thinking to figure out the best solution.

I saw that your game was in the Contest Ready section. Will you want to keep it there, considering that the deadline for entering into the Contest Ready category is April 15th, not April 1st?

If you are interested, you can add a layer of complexity to Akur-Gal while keeping its rules simple. It may require rethinking your scoring system, though...

Here are a few ideas you can try out:

1. After switching the two cards for a turn, choose one of the cards to flip. All cards will need both to match and to be flipped in the right direction.

2. Instead of switching two cards, switch two rows or two columns.

3. Add a rule for how cards can switch, such as, "Only cards that are vertical, horizontal, or diagonal to each other can switch," or, "Only cards that are adjacent can switch," or, "Only cards that have the servant facing the same direction can switch."

Again, I don't know if you are still working on this game, but you can see if these ideas work for the main system or for a possible variant. I can see these beautiful cards being used for several related puzzle games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onthewayover wrote:
I'm seeing that the puzzle of this game is considered to be simple by some. However, I can see that it isn't simple to everyone, and it takes some thinking to figure out the best solution.

Thank you for your interest in this game!

When I invented it, I enjoyed the idea that such a simple game could hide difficulty levels ... mathematics is not an opinion, classic thinking.
I love mathematical puzzles, but my "simple mind" will never become Akur-Gal, ever!
You can feel free to experiment with possible alternative mechanics; I'll leave the splendid community of players the task of searching for and finding the infinite mechanics hidden in this simple pastime ...

Only one thing I ask: let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |