Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
58 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] AKUR-GAL - 2018 9-Card Nanogame PnP Design Contest - Component Ready rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Onthewayover Anonymous
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well, I've printed out this game and tried it out! I am watching someone's cat, so a game that uses only cards is easy to manage, especially since it fits very nicely on my clipboard

For the base game, I have discovered a couple of tactics thatget me to 6 moves for a finished picture, but I can't quite make the jump to "Important Mind"! I've figured out clues to see which cards go where, and that helps me do much better planning of moves, such as seeing where I can make a double-move. But I can't help but sense there's something I'm missing...

I tried a couple of the variations I recommended in my previous comment. I'll share the results here:

1. My idea to have the player choose one of the cards to flip each turn was OK, but it didn't greatly change the way I played. It only really becomes a problem if you arrange your cards in an odd number of moves; I always finished in an even number of moves (6), so I didn't notice added challenge except perhaps to re-flip the card I had just flipped.

2. My idea to switch rows and columns was disastrous. After some very concerned play, I realized that switching rows and columns never changed the content of each row and column, just its order and location. Does not work!

I may try a few of the conditional rules at another time. I have a few more card manipulation challenges to try out as well. But for now, I am satisfied with the current game, and I think there is more to it than first meets the eye.

After I had played for a while, the art on the cards started to create a slightly hypnotic effect, like a kaleidoscope. The act of switching the cards and focusing on the patterns became an enjoyable activity in itself. I don't know how often I would play this, but as a quick activity that fits in your wallet I think it's pretty fun! But how on earth is anybody supposed to get a 3-move victory outside of pure luck?? wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading a book of mathematical games and I'm lost in the chapter that deals with numerical orders in the magic squares ... I do not think I've created one, I'm trying to figure it out ...laughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first game from the contest I’ve printed out and tried out, since it’s so simple and only required nine cards.

Intellectually, I wonder if the game is too simple and solveable but I also know this is a game that I will end up playing a lot. Nine cards and a maximum of eight moves, this is the perfect fidget game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomekin wrote:
This is the first game from the contest I’ve printed out and tried out, since it’s so simple and only required nine cards.

Intellectually, I wonder if the game is too simple and solveable but I also know this is a game that I will end up playing a lot. Nine cards and a maximum of eight moves, this is the perfect fidget game.

I'm glad you like it ... I just hope it does not make you nervous too much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For such a simple idea, this has been executed about as well as it could be. It looks great; distinctive, yet functional.

The issues with the randomness of the setup being the major determining factor in the final score have already been highlighted, and it doesn't have the depth to be a truly great game, but I've played this a fair few times now and it remains a surprisingly distracting simple puzzle..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iyidin_Kyeimo wrote:
For such a simple idea, this has been executed about as well as it could be. It looks great; distinctive, yet functional.

The issues with the randomness of the setup being the major determining factor in the final score have already been highlighted, and it doesn't have the depth to be a truly great game, but I've played this a fair few times now and it remains a surprisingly distracting simple puzzle..

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi. I would like to provide you a feedback to your game in order to be able to vote in the contest.

I am sorry I did not provide it earlier - I don't have pretty much spare time after work for about last six months. Also, forgive me rather strange wording of the review as I wrote as part of my challenge to review every game in the contest, so it's written in 3rd person rather than talking directly to you.

And here comes the feedback:

Aestethics (2)
I liked the game from the first look - it was one of the first games with final graphics, only slightly enhanced during the contest. The visuals are simple, yet functional and doesn't feel cheap at the first glance. The game is partly based on the visuals, so it is a good thing that characters and other design parts are well-blent.

Mechanics (1)
The game is rather trivial - swap a pair of the cards until the matrix is arranged as proposed. On the other side the possibilities are always multiple, player has to think ahead in order to get the highest score. There is also a luck element, as sometimes the cards may be distributed in almost solved pattern and sometimes they're mixed up as hell.

Involvement (1)
The theme is present, but the cards could have almost any graphics and the gameplay wouldn't be affected at all. It's still nice that Giampiero provided Sumerian theme as it is not widely used.

Game length (0)
The game can be sometimes too short. I think 5 minutes is the top, and it is still too short for example during lunch until the food arrives. Sure, player can play more times, but there is nothing to discover, it's the tactics only, so game can worn-dry pretty fast.
The game could be played competitively with multiple copies of it. It would certainly prolong the enjoyment of the game.

Overall thoughts (2)
It is a nice simple game that can be taught and prepared under a minute. Sometimes people don't want to spend afternoon with a game and this may be interesting choice - the rules are written well, the visuals are okay, although the gamplay may be a bit shallow.

TOTAL AMIGO SCORE: 6/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystael wrote:
Hi. I would like to provide you a feedback to your game in order to be able to vote in the contest.

TOTAL AMIGO SCORE: 6/10

Thank you very much, Marek, for your feedback ... I appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  |