Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
To those in whom the will has turned and has denied itself, this our world, which is so real, with all its suns and milky-ways — is nothing. [A.Schopenhauer]
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the fence for this one.

I want to back the KS, but I guess the only thing holding me back is that while I read several rather enthusiastic reviews (and of course, some lukewarm one - you cannot please everyone), I have not seen anyone who found the fantastic.

Anything keeping the game from being really exciting? Is it that kind of game: fun, pleasant, but not the stuff that dreams are made of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with all games, no game will make everyone happy. Your best bet is to watch some game plays and see if it looks interesting. If you like what you see, jump in. If not, pass. Don't base your choices on what other reviews are saying. Use them to help decide if you will like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched many videos of the game in play (latest one from Heavy Cardboard here:

...but it doesn't have anything new to stand out from the crowd. So i'll pass on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
To those in whom the will has turned and has denied itself, this our world, which is so real, with all its suns and milky-ways — is nothing. [A.Schopenhauer]
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, the Heavy Boardgame conclusions are quite lukewarm indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:
As with all games, no game will make everyone happy. Your best bet is to watch some game plays and see if it looks interesting. If you like what you see, jump in. If not, pass. Don't base your choices on what other reviews are saying. Use them to help decide if you will like the game.

I know... I am aware, you are right. I guess I just need a push to get on the train. Someone to tell me: "Listen, I actually find the game fantastic for reasons X, Y and Z" - so if I, myself, find those reasons to be aligned with my own interests... If it does not come, I'll just pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, feel your meh-ness. I read another opinion the other day from someone who had the first edition, played it a few times, and already sold it. My guess is that folks with many euros already (like me) will find the game enjoyable but not amazing in comparison to others. Those with smaller collections might find it a go-to game for a few plays at least. It looks good, but not must-have.

Make your own decision. I'm not in an aggressive buying mood lately, so I will probably pass. I'm still enjoying tying the different factions in Gaia Project and have yet to taste the new maps for Concordia, so I'm good for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
I, too, feel your meh-ness. I read another opinion the other day from someone who had the first edition, played it a few times, and already sold it. My guess is that folks with many euros already (like me) will find the game enjoyable but not amazing in comparison to others. Those with smaller collections might find it a go-to game for a few plays at least. It looks good, but not must-have.

Make your own decision. I'm not in an aggressive buying mood lately, so I will probably pass. I'm still enjoying tying the different factions in Gaia Project and have yet to taste the new maps for Concordia, so I'm good for a while.

I think that one of the reason why I am paying a close attention to it is that I like deluxe versions with great (wooden) components and a fair price (one of the reasons why I won't buy Gaia Project, in fact, as I find it very costly and tacky looking). It seems that I want to want it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Cox
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it as enjoyable as Yokohama. Probably still like Orleans more but that may be due to the fact that I like deck/pool building.

This is a clean and well developed design. The timeline allowance and the way you purchase cards and train members of society feel fresh.

Some games just don't do it for some. Try the Rahdo or the Gaming Rules video too. You never know.. after all.. I thought Food Chain Magnate was boring and everyone else loves it. Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Tavares
Brazil
Goiânia
Goiás
flag msg tools
Playing 'til death!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a kind of Civ games lover. I thought that Gentes a good CIV game, but there is nothing new here. The graphics are cool, there is some action management, where you try to get rid of the action blockers in your personal board, and some interesting card actions, but that's it. I was tempted to upgrade my copy to the deluxe version, as I frequently do with my games, but I don't think this one deserves all its praise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Cox
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I thought the time-travel mechanism in Anachrony was "meh". It didn't feel rewarding or penalizing or all that interesting really. But that is my point actually.. folks need to decide if it is for them not whether we do or don't like it.

I do agree though that this is a pure euro and isn't a civ game really.

Casulo wrote:
I am a kind of Civ games lover. I thought that Gentes a good CIV game, but there is nothing new here. The graphics are cool, there is some action management, where you try to get rid of the action blockers in your personal board, and some interesting card actions, but that's it. I was tempted to upgrade my copy to the deluxe version, as I frequently do with my games, but I don't think this one deserves all its praise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I find parts of it are quite novel and very enjoyable. I don't jump up and down and say, this is the best thing since sliced cheese; I also don't do that for many games anymore. To find a game that has that element is very hard with a large collection of very good games. I keep games that have mechanisms that are done in a unique way; Gentes has a couple of very cool ideas that are represented quite nicely in the game. It feels a little like a Feld game, which I don't usually like, with all of the little processes to work on to make other things work. But like those few Feld games I do like, they are more fun to play than others in my collection depending how I feel, my taste of the week, etc. Bora Bora rarely hits the table, but I still keep it. Gentes won't hit the table much, but when I want to play it, I will pull it out and have the option. No other game currently has the same "feel" I get when I play it, so I guess unless someone does Gentes better, it is going to stay in my collection (or return to my collection after the KS).
Now, if I had a small collection, and this was one of a few choices in my closet, this would not be a first buy. As with most Spielworxx games, this is for a niche' market of gamers. The niche' market is growing, so maybe it is more mainstream in the gamers' crowd than last year, and definitely a lot more accepted than back in 1999 when Splotter dropped Roads and Boats on everyone, and we were barely accepting Catan as a heavier game. Gamers are becoming more eclectic in their taste of games, and Gentes will fit nicely into that gamer's collection as it doesn't feel much like any other game as a whole, and what it borrows from other games, it does well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
ropearoni4 wrote:
...I don't jump up and down and say, this is the best thing since sliced cheese;...

Sliced cheese is a measure of badness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
...I don't jump up and down and say, this is the best thing since sliced cheese butter;...

Sliced cheese is a measure of badness.

fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fotis Giakoump
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
STUSFURNUS
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is an epitome of a fluid and elegant design. Mechanism wise, it is not that groundbreaking but the time element is really well represented here, so is the specialized workforce. The CIV feeling is pretty much alive -Tech Research,Expanding- but it all comes down on what you expect from Gentes.

If you are looking for a medium, somewhat abstract euroCIV game with zero conflict but meaty enough to get you hooked for lot of plays, then Gentes is your game.

If you trying to get your mind blown in complexity and interlocking mechanisms then you won't get it here.

Imho,Gentes is perfect for non-gamers as an introduction to heavier games and still gamers will find a nice mid weight game that last roughly 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
msg tools
badge
Caught you 'mirin'.
mbmbmbmbmb
My take after three games: cohesive design, lacking "fun". It's a good game, but I enjoyed Stefan's other title, Arkwright, far more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Roth
msg tools
From the reviews so far it seems like a well made game, with familiar elements. I think it will provide a good deal of crunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got behind this one because outside of the gameplay examples, the components look great. I've loved TMG's approach at "Deluxifying" games, and typically the components outweigh the cost, and I at least feel like I'm getting a lot of game for my money. I don't want to miss out like I did with Orleans. So I'll back it, and if I end up not liking it, I can trade or sell to someone who missed out of the Deluxified version and really wants to have it. I know there is no risk to picking this up. Hopefully I'll love it, and from watching gameplay, this is something that would be enjoyed in my house and with some (not all) of my gaming friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read a lot of reviews regarding the game over at opinionatedgamers.com and many of the contributors said "good but not great". Also, things like "samey" after a few plays due to stagnant deck and initial setup. So, I'm a little concerned now as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. Love civ games. Just not sure I need another one. Love some crunchy Euros (but not all). Definitely don't need another "Meh" game I won't play often.

For reference, I love Yokohama. It's one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After checking extensively on reviews, playthroughs etc I have to say Scott Nelson summed it up greatly.
I have already first-play-them euros, but want more mid-weight good looking ones, so I backed Gentes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny Blount
New Zealand
flag msg tools
out to lunch
badge
same place I eat at
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game about 8 times.

In my opinion it is thoroughly meh, and on the light side of medium.

There are far too many interesting games coming out to justify either purchasing or playing this.

There is nothing wrong with the game and it plays just fine (but not as easy as a real gateway should, also it is too themeless and bland to hook people). But the standard for new games these days is way above that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solipsiste wrote:
I'm on the fence for this one.

I want to back the KS, but I guess the only thing holding me back is that while I read several rather enthusiastic reviews (and of course, some lukewarm one - you cannot please everyone), I have not seen anyone who found the fantastic.

Anything keeping the game from being really exciting? Is it that kind of game: fun, pleasant, but not the stuff that dreams are made of?

Gentes received its glowing review from Jason Levine recently. But perhaps the most telling is in his video review with Melody, Jason ranked Gentesas his 31st favorite game of all time. This coming from a guy who has arguably the largest board game collection in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.