Nikolay Nikitkin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
So me and my wife are playing Charterstone as a 2 player campaign.

And we have the rules for adding building to inactive charters. We'd rather avoid using Automa, but i feel like we almost have to? Unless we are playing something wrong.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Am i understanding correctly that the only way for inactive charter buildings to be built, is to first open the crate IF it comes out in the advancement deck display, and then at setup for next game you put the building on the board? Seems pretty slow to me, as in game 4 our charters are almost/completely full, and the inactives haven't grown at all yet, because we've only seen 1 inactive charter completed building card come out in the advancement deck display.

Are we miss-playing something? or is this intended?

second question.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
My wife is playing the red charter, and she just unlocked her golem minions. i'm playing green, and i've build almost all my building and i haven't gotten mine yet. Seems a little un-fair that she gets all these extra workers she can build, while i'm stuck with just two. Does each charter unlock their minions at diffirent times? OR can i use her charter buildings to build her red golems to work for me?

Thanks for any answers. And if Jamey sees this, gotta say man, this game is our favorite 2 player game right now. We constantly talk about our next session

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For your first question: At the end of each game, you can only keep a certain number of advancement cards in relation to your capacity and those cards must be different types. So if you are doing that correctly, then quite often, at the end of a game, unconstructed building cards may end up in the advancement deck. See Rule 29: Capacity

In order to build on inactive charters, at the beginning of set-up, you look through the advancement deck and find the first unconstructed building card and you adhere it to one of the inactive charters. If you have more unconstructed building cards, add a building to the next inactive charter, and so on, until each inactive charter has a new building on it. Then all the constructed building cards (crates) are added back to the advancement deck. See Rule 2 - Set-up: Inactive Charters

During set-up, you do not look for crates in the deck, and unlock them for inactive charters.

For your second question: The Golems do not belong to just your wife. Unclaimed Golems are kept in the general supply. ALL players can get Golems by going to the building where you can pay 2 bricks to get a Golem. BTW... You can use any buildings on the board, including those in your wife's charter. Each charter will eventually unlock a certain minion during the game.

I played my first campaign as a 2 player game, and now I am playing it as a 4 player using the Recharge pack. Crates unlock much faster in 4 players and the game feels quite different at higher player counts. I do think the game plays well at 2 player though. I played most of the 2 player campaign without Automa, and it was good experience. You just may want to review the rulebook as I think you have some confusions going on. I hope I've helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolay Nikitkin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
awesome thanks for the response!

i guess we're just at the mercy of the advancement decks in terms of when the constructed building cards come up for inactive charters then. In game 4 we just got the first one that showed up for an inactive charter and we immediately went for it, just to get some buildings for that charter on the board.

So next game we'll pull one of those buildings and build it during setup. and then hope we get some completed building cards for other inactive charters to show up as the game goes by. Not really a big deal or anything, just was hoping that they'd be built more often

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zelegith wrote:
awesome thanks for the response!

i guess we're just at the mercy of the advancement decks in terms of when the constructed building cards come up for inactive charters then. In game 4 we just got the first one that showed up for an inactive charter and we immediately went for it, just to get some buildings for that charter on the board.
In my 2 player experience, I found there were usually quite a few unconstructed building cards to build on inactive charters at set-up because we'd unlock a fair bit of buildings and it was there usually wasn't enough time to build it all.

My recommendation would be to stick with it... the buildings will develop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear ANY unconstructed building card can be built in ANY inactive charter using the rules for setup. And for that matter you can build ANY building within your own charter. With the exception of the basic resource buildings at the beginning of the campaign no building belongs to a specific charter.

Also a slight aside but still related...you may unlock personas that don’t look like your starting persona and instead look like the persona for another charter. That persona still belongs to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
Just to be clear ANY unconstructed building card can be built in ANY inactive charter using the rules for setup. And for that matter you can build ANY building within your own charter. With the exception of the basic resource buildings at the beginning of the campaign no building belongs to a specific charter.

Also a slight aside but still related...you may unlock personas that don’t look like your starting persona and instead look like the persona for another charter. That persona still belongs to you.
Good points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a strong sense you may be doing something wrong. The phrase "when the constructed building cards come up for inactive charters" makes me think it.

Concepts possibly missed:
- building cards do not not belong to any particular charter
- if there are any unbuilt buildings in the deck, you build them into whatever inactive charter you are drawing for

So in my game, at setup we go:
Let's build a building for Yellow. I turn over seven advancement cards and finaly find one of green's cards. I build that into Yellow.
Now let's build for black. I turn over another two cards, and hey there is an unbuilt yellow building, that gets built into black

In my blue charter, I happen to have a red building, a yellow building, a black building, and three blue buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolay Nikitkin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
My main confusion is that with adding item cards, guest, and assistant cards, we're just not drawing any of the completed building cards onto the advancement display. We got the first one during game 4, and my wife picked it up, and then eventually opened that crate, that put 2 more "uncompleted" buildings into the deck.

Now we do have some uncompleted buildings from our charters in there, so what you're saying is that during setup we build those in the inactive charters even though they aren't meant for that charter? Example: during setup there are a couple of "green" buildings, so since i have 4 inactive charters, i'd pull 1 building at a time, and build those green buildings, 1 at a time in the inactive charters? Thus filling up those charters with "our" buildings, as well as buildings meant for those charters?

As far as buildings going into any charter that makes much more sense now, so if i have 2 uncompleted buildings in the deck now (currently we have 2 from the iron producing charter) we would pull both of those during setup, and put each one in a different inactive charter?

sorry if i'm being super dense about it

the quote "when the constructed building cards come up for inactive charters" made us think that when an "iron" unreconstructed building came up during setup, it would only go into the "iron" charter, and if we had our charters buildings in the deck "clay" and "wood" we'd ignore those since those are active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zelegith wrote:

Now we do have some uncompleted buildings from our charters in there, so what you're saying is that during setup we build those in the inactive charters even though they aren't meant for that charter? Example: during setup there are a couple of "green" buildings, so

As far as buildings going into any charter that makes much more sense now, so if i have 2 uncompleted buildings in the deck now (currently we have 2 from the iron producing charter) we would pull both of those during setup, and put each one in a different inactive charter?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolay Nikitkin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
gotcha, so then there will be more completed cards in the deck for us to go after during game, so they would show up more often?

thanks for the clear up everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blackburn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...but that’s your own quote.
Buildings belong to the charter they’re built in. They’re meant for whatever charter they’re built in. You can use a building in any charter to gain its benefit—you just can’t place minions there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolay Nikitkin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Super Zero wrote:
...but that’s your own quote.
Buildings belong to the charter they’re built in. They’re meant for whatever charter they’re built in. You can use a building in any charter to gain its benefit—you just can’t place minions there.

yea sorry for the confusion. just re-read the rules with the info others have posted, and it makes sense to me now. Sorry for being so dense lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zelegith wrote:

yea sorry for the confusion. just re-read the rules with the info others have posted, and it makes sense to me now. Sorry for being so dense lol

I'm glad you understand it now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikolay: It sounds like you understand what's going on now, but I'm here to help if you have any further questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.