Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The arrival of Wing Leader: Blitz has been very cheering. The package looks good. There’s a lot of goodness in there to keep you all occupied. It frees me up to pivot and work in earnest on the second expansion set: Wing Leader: Eagles.

Eagles
This last week, Eagles has appeared on pre-order. I recommend you get your order in now by going here:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-679-wing-leader-eagles.aspx

Eagles has a lot of scenarios—eight more than were in Blitz. It also has an exciting campaign, Fortress Rabaul, by Gordon Christie, that borrows some of the ideas from the Barbarossa campaign in Blitz but does some very neat things to create a short but intense campaign. I’m pleased at the way in which the margins are tight enough that it prompts interesting responses from the player. It doesn’t (yet) appear to be a rinse-and-repeat experience. Some initial testing has been done on this and I’ve just pushed a refined campaign rules set out to the rest of the testers to tackle.

Second Edition Wing Leader: Victories
Going on from Eagles, I’m also working on what we are calling the second edition of Wing Leader: Victories. This is a bit of a misnomer, because the changes are, in the aggregate, small. However, they are large enough to warrant a new printing.

In basic terms, the second edition represents across-the-board fixes to all the aircraft data. We refactor ratings, primarily to bomb strengths. We also enforce rating consistency across the entire ecosystem of aircraft data cards. The ADCs have been uniform in most areas, but not all, and the inconsistencies were recently revealed when I sat down to compile all the rules for ADC creation in one place, rather than leave them scattered across multiple files and spreadsheets. This shone a light on obscure corners of the game, such as strafing values for medium bombers and the handling of large-calibre ordnance in the game. It also touched on forgotten stuff such as Turn ratings for light bombers, which I discovered had been handled in a very scattershot fashion. I have now patched these, and all future data cards will be built to a new second edition standard.

Again, aside from the bomb ratings, these are not major changes. They are tweaks to numbers across some hundred and something data cards.

The whole second edition package includes an updated rulebook, updated charts, revised and rebalanced scenarios and some brand new scenario and ADC content. We even chuck in new counters and make official some of those that appeared in Blitz, such as bomb hit markers. I’ll be talking in more detail in the coming months about second edition, but I highly recommend signing up for it.

If you already own Victories, you can pre-order the update kit here:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-674-wing-leader-victories-1940-19...

If you want a brand new boxed game, you can pre-order it here:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-673-wing-leader-victories-1940-19...

The second edition is almost ready to go, but I have no ETA for it. We’ll need to see how pre-orders go. However, I doubt we’ll see it until the end of the year at the earliest.

Second Edition For Free
For those who don’t want to spend more money on the game, I’m going to be making the second edition materials (ADCs, rules and scenarios) available for free for download.

Better yet, I’ll be making this stuff available in the spring, so you can check it out and decide if you want to invest in a hard copy well before taking the financial plunge. It’ll also give you the opportunity to help test and polish the final product.

See you guys there.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Spessato
msg tools
mb
Quote:
For those who don’t want to spend more money on the game, I’m going to be making the second edition materials (ADCs, rules and scenarios) available for free for download.

Better yet, I’ll be making this stuff available in the spring, so you can check it out and decide if you want to invest in a hard copy well before taking the financial plunge. It’ll also give you the opportunity to help test and polish the final product.

Very generous of you, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud Bouis
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
Nice and wise move, Lee.
And by the way, congrats for Wing Leader Blitz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that after the Victories upgrade kit, we'll also need a Supremacy, Blitz and Eagles upgrade kit???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking, if there was, it would new and updated ADCs and some new counters.

Eagles is still in preorder - why would something that is still being play tested need an upgrade kit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Blue wrote:
I'm thinking, if there was, it would new and updated ADCs and some new counters.

Eagles is still in preorder - why would something that is still being play tested need an upgrade kit...

I don't know that's why i am asking what we are going to need.

Are Eagles at v2.0 already? Blitz? Supremacy?

Because if you add all these it is getting expensive for v1.0 owners unless you want to end up with PnP components...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagles is being designed to the second edition standard so will not need an upgrade kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotofficerprune wrote:
Eagles is being designed to the second edition standard so will not need an upgrade kit.

So i guess we are going to need upgrade kits for:

Wing Leader: Victories upgrade = $29 + shipping
Wing Leader: Supremacy upgrade = ?
Wing Leader: Blitz upgrade = ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an owner of Wing Leader Victories, is there any reason for me to purchase the 2nd edition rather than the upgrade kit?

In other words is there anything in the second edition which I will not receive in the upgrade kit if I order it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Get the update kit and you're good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Lee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Drury
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Will the Victories update kit cover the ADCs for the Blitz expansion or will that have its own update kit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Victories update kit will not cover any of the other games or modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Drury
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Is it intended to produce an update kit for Blitz, or is it the case that none of the new planes introduced in Blitz will require changes to be consistent with the second edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotofficerprune wrote:
The Victories update kit will not cover any of the other games or modules.

Why not wait for Blitz 2.0 instead of buying Blitz 1.0 + upgrade kit which will cost more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Drury
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Possibly true, but if you already have Blitz...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel Drury wrote:
Possibly true, but if you already have Blitz...

I am not buying Blitz or any other Wing Leader products until the series is done. The Blitz was released just now and you already need an upgrade kit!

I don't buy the series to playtest them and pay extra on upgrade kits or have to pnp components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geo, that's very wise. Don't spend any more. You can play what you've currently got and it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel Drury wrote:
Is it intended to produce an update kit for Blitz, or is it the case that none of the new planes introduced in Blitz will require changes to be consistent with the second edition?

In truth? I don’t know if we’ll ever produce an update for Blitz. If it sells out there may be a second printing and we’ll consider updating then.

I’m not all that bothered by this as the Blitz ADCs will not change much to the second edition. The major revisions are to the bomb values of the heavier bombers. But if there’s never a second edition of Blitz you’ll be able to play scenarios just fine with the currently printed ADCs.

I shall say this, and continue to say this: until a revised ADC appears, you can use the existing ADCs just fine. They ain’t broken. Future ADCs will have some revised values, but if you don’t have those cards just use what you got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc paturel
France
flag msg tools
Hi, I discovered the game recently and was really interested. So i placed an order for the 2nd edition but the number of order is not increasing much... If i understood correctly, the game should reach around 750 orders for gmt to launch the production ? looks like a long shot when we are only 74 to have placed an order in nearly 4 months... will it be produced anyway wether the minimal number of order is reached or not ? Do you consider the core game and upgrade kit as the same production (and therefore sums up the orders) ?

I'm not in a hurry has i should received another game with roughly the same theme soon, but is it worth it to keep waiting for the 2nd ed core games, or should i switch my order to the upgrade kit and look for the 1st ed core game on the second hand market ? (or just forget about victories and go for supremacy ?)

Cheers,
Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still hoping that the second edition will come out late this year. GMT Will be assessing publication based on progress of box and update kit together. Unless you have money to burn it will be cheaper to get the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc paturel
France
flag msg tools
that's why i choosed the box but as i have no experience with p500 projects, i didn't know what to expect. Also why not having the same mounted board as the supremacy one ? I would have thought that sharing components would have reduced the overall production costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mounted/not mounted mapboard question creates all sorts of division. Some people prefer mounted and others unmounted. My desire has long been to have one of the main boxes contain a mounted map and the other an identical unmounted map.

Mounted maps also add to cost and box size. In the end I felt it better to keep the Victories box with a paper map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.