Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The arrival of Wing Leader: Blitz has been very cheering. The package looks good. There’s a lot of goodness in there to keep you all occupied. It frees me up to pivot and work in earnest on the second expansion set: Wing Leader: Eagles.

Eagles
This last week, Eagles has appeared on pre-order. I recommend you get your order in now by going here:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-679-wing-leader-eagles.aspx

Eagles has a lot of scenarios—eight more than were in Blitz. It also has an exciting campaign, Fortress Rabaul, by Gordon Christie, that borrows some of the ideas from the Barbarossa campaign in Blitz but does some very neat things to create a short but intense campaign. I’m pleased at the way in which the margins are tight enough that it prompts interesting responses from the player. It doesn’t (yet) appear to be a rinse-and-repeat experience. Some initial testing has been done on this and I’ve just pushed a refined campaign rules set out to the rest of the testers to tackle.

Second Edition Wing Leader: Victories
Going on from Eagles, I’m also working on what we are calling the second edition of Wing Leader: Victories. This is a bit of a misnomer, because the changes are, in the aggregate, small. However, they are large enough to warrant a new printing.

In basic terms, the second edition represents across-the-board fixes to all the aircraft data. We refactor ratings, primarily to bomb strengths. We also enforce rating consistency across the entire ecosystem of aircraft data cards. The ADCs have been uniform in most areas, but not all, and the inconsistencies were recently revealed when I sat down to compile all the rules for ADC creation in one place, rather than leave them scattered across multiple files and spreadsheets. This shone a light on obscure corners of the game, such as strafing values for medium bombers and the handling of large-calibre ordnance in the game. It also touched on forgotten stuff such as Turn ratings for light bombers, which I discovered had been handled in a very scattershot fashion. I have now patched these, and all future data cards will be built to a new second edition standard.

Again, aside from the bomb ratings, these are not major changes. They are tweaks to numbers across some hundred and something data cards.

The whole second edition package includes an updated rulebook, updated charts, revised and rebalanced scenarios and some brand new scenario and ADC content. We even chuck in new counters and make official some of those that appeared in Blitz, such as bomb hit markers. I’ll be talking in more detail in the coming months about second edition, but I highly recommend signing up for it.

If you already own Victories, you can pre-order the update kit here:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-674-wing-leader-victories-1940-19...

If you want a brand new boxed game, you can pre-order it here:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-673-wing-leader-victories-1940-19...

The second edition is almost ready to go, but I have no ETA for it. We’ll need to see how pre-orders go. However, I doubt we’ll see it until the end of the year at the earliest.

Second Edition For Free
For those who don’t want to spend more money on the game, I’m going to be making the second edition materials (ADCs, rules and scenarios) available for free for download.

Better yet, I’ll be making this stuff available in the spring, so you can check it out and decide if you want to invest in a hard copy well before taking the financial plunge. It’ll also give you the opportunity to help test and polish the final product.

See you guys there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Legan

APO
AE
msg tools
designer
mb
Lee,

Thanks for the update and for continuing to improve the system. As far as bombing ratings, are you changing any from supremacy?

Thanks

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All ADCs will ultimately be affected by the changes, which is why I'll be releasing downloadable updates for Supremacy ADCs also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Legan

APO
AE
msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.