8 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Treebeard and Tidings not burdens.......... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zoe Ford
msg tools
So...

The question is: Are they useful? I read that they not really necessary and don't add to the game but sometimes Treebeard can be useful.

Any insights on this?

Are you in an advantage if you have Treebeard in your army? Is someone ever able to play the Tidings not burdens cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
ZoeMedrix wrote:
So...

The question is: Are they useful? I read that they not really necessary and don't add to the game but sometimes Treebeard can be useful.

Any insights on this?

Are you in an advantage if you have Treebeard in your army? Is someone ever able to play the Tidings not burdens cards?
Tidings not burdens and fly, you fools are joke cards.

Treebeard has been tweaked to make him more useful, but the consensus is that without "Root and Branch" he is not particularly helpful to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go here for Treebeard update and background. He is, like many individual elements in the game, situational. If the FP holds no Ent cards, he's not going to be much use; if they hold several, he's going to make them a little more effective and offer some additional options for combat in and around Rohan.

Same applies with the expansions.

Regarding Tidings, I enjoy the game too much to use Tidings not Burdens as a sudden death mechanism. I'd rather play a game to the nail-biting end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
You don't need either - and especially not Tidings, Not Burdens which we never play with any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tidings not Burdens are not real cards for a real game, nor were they meant to be. They were designed as joke cards to surprise a friend with a "what in the world just happened moment." After surprising your friend, you take the card back and tell them it was a joke. Everyone gets a good laugh. You keep playing till the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
savedbyhim01 wrote:
Tidings not Burdens are not real cards for a real game, nor were they meant to be. They were designed as joke cards to surprise a friend with a "what in the world just happened moment." After surprising your friend, you take the card back and tell them it was a joke. Everyone gets a good laugh. You keep playing till the end.

That's how I thought of it. It's very funny, but it would ruin a game to have it end in a flop like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy THEBAUT
msg tools
Does someone know where I can find Tidings not burdens expansion cards? I'd like to test the game with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gtbo33 wrote:
Does someone know where I can find Tidings not burdens expansion cards? I'd like to test the game with them.

They are not actually supposed to be used in the game. They are a joke for die-hard Tolkien fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.