Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Trying to figure out exactly how Artisans play out round after round. Per the rules:

"No effect when played [in the Dynasty Phase]. During the Rejuvenation phase, for each Artisan you have, you may pay 1 Deben to place one fewer card in the Forum."

Once an Artisan is played out in the Dynasty Phase:

1. Can I only use his ability during the immediate subsequent Rejuvenation Phase? (One time use.)

Or...

2. Can I use the Artisan's ability in every following Rejuventation Phase for the rest of the game? (Multiple use.)

And, if 2, does this mean that once I have 2 Artisans, I can hold back up to 2 cards each Rejuvenation Phase for the rest of the game (as long as I can pay the required Debens)?

My wife and I have been playing it as 1 but we wonder...

--------------------------
I note that in the rules:

1. The Pharaoh and Soldier have an "infinity" symbol on their respective card. The rules then clearly state, "For the rest of the game...."

2. The rules state "No effect when played" for the Pharaoh, Artisan, and Farmer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is #2. The reason there is no infinity symbol is that this ability changes during the game depending on how many Artisans are in your tableau. So it is ongoing like the Pharaoh and the Solider but dependent upon the number of Artisans.

Yes you can use an Artisan ability starting in the next round after being played.

There is no benefit beyond 2 Artisans for their ability (they of course are still worth points) because you only place 2 cards in the Forum during Rejuvenation.

"And, if 2, does this mean that once I have 2 Artisans, I can hold back up to 2 cards each Rejuvenation Phase for the rest of the game (as long as I can pay the required Debens)?"

Yes as long as you pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, glad I asked. We'd been playing it the other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.