Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Fallen Land: A Post Apocalyptic Board Game is pure Ameri-trash goodness. The setting is America after something has gone terribly wrong. The country is broken up into factions and you want your faction to rule supreme over the country. You accomplish this by either making your Home Town so great people want to admit you are the capital or you gain so much Prestige that everyone admits you are the greatest faction. Or something like that.

Each player will build a team of people that make up their faction and will become their "party". This party will go on adventures to make a name for their faction. Characters may die and/or be replaced by others, but their joinery will tell an epic story.

The game is a little complicated to jump into because you are juggling so many characters, supplies, action cards and competing agendas from the other players. The "test" you do during the game is a new way to handle things that I've never seen before. One player really needs to have a handle on this before the players sit down to play. It isn't complicated, but because it is new most gamers struggled with this. I would start teaching the game with this mechanic as it is really the only thing people will struggle with at all. The rest of the game is very easy to pick up.

While I really like this game, there are a few negatives to point out. First, the characters do not take damage very much. This may have been because we don't tend to do a lot of take that in our gaming style, so it felt like we passed a lot of test without much danger. I wonder if others experienced something different. Second, the solo conditions is to try and "beat the game" in X amount of rounds. I don't normally like this win condition. Third, the art work and components do not draw me into the game. The board is very bland.

What I really like about the game is the theme. The cards are insane and fun. From being the Terminator to driving James Bond's car, the game is just crazy fun and good. You can really build a story through your characters. They all feel so different and we had a good time role playing them during the action. The encounters and missions really build a story. Even if you lose, you will have a great time playing the game.

Overall, I think this game is really fun. I think it needs the take that to work the way it is intended. If you are losing, I'm convinced this is the only way to catch up (except for just really, really good luck). The game is going to fit a niche for many gamers. This isn't a dry Euro by any stretch of the means. It lacks miniatures and things that make a game pop. Instead, you feel like you are going through a story with these crazy characters. A wonderful experience and one I recommend.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are a mixed bag. The board is nice, but it is pretty bland and boring to look at. There are a lot of cards in the game; I mean a lot a lot. A lot. The quality of the cards is fine, but there are so many I doubt anyone will want to sleeve all of these cards. If you don't like take that, the take that cards are clearly marked so you can take them out. That is a huge foresight with the components. The art work is very thematic, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of it. Yet, the art work grew on me and I now like it. Go figure. The components overall are not fantastic. You do not have to worry about the components falling apart or not lasting, but from a thematic point of view it is below what you would expect in many games. Nobody will walk past this game and be drawn into it just from the look of the game.

Rule Book:

The rule book is very long. The rule book is pretty easy to read and there are a lot of examples included. I still think I prefer to be taught this game, but the rather book isn't a hinderance at all. The rules is clear, includes a precise "cheat sheet" and the last page is a summary of all the icons in the game. For a more complicated game, I feel they did a pretty good job.

Flow of the Game:

My goal is here to explain how the game flows and not all the rules. I hope you get a general idea of what the game will be like. There are two competing ways to win: Prestige or Town Hall Points. The first person to the end of either track wins the game.

I. Any start of turn events now occur.

II. Town Business:

A. Draw an Action card

B. Players may auction off cards (this will get you more than the value of the card, but you are also giving another player a card they really need)

C. Roll a 10 sided die and refer to a chart: You can earn or lose points randomly

D. Players may then sell cards for their cost and then make any purchases available. The purchased tokens are tokens that represent upgrades to your town and normally give you a bonus in Town Hall and Prestige and a skill check bonus.

III. Player Actions:

A. NPC take their actions
B. Players take their actions. In turn order, each player takes 4 weeks of actions. Here are the possible actions:

1. Move (1 week) - roll a 6 sided die and add any movement bonuses. Some hexes on the board may require more than one point of movement depending on the terrain. Then draw a terrain card for that the type of terrain you stop on and do the encounter.

2. Encounter (1 week) - Encounter the terrain card that you are sitting on. There are 3 terrains: plains (smallest risk/reward), mountains (medium risk/reward), city (hardest but best rewards)

3. Resource (2 weeks) - Take over a resource hex. This will give you money and points each round

4. Heal (2 weeks) - get rid of wounds based on a die roll

5. Mission (3 weeks) - when on a hex with a mission, you can attempt a mission card. These normally are harder but give you more points, etc

How to do a Test:

This is the trickiest part of the game. You roll a number of 10 sided dice equal to the number of people in your group. Then you apply each die to the character that matches the color of the die.

Keep in mind, each character may have a number in each of the categories. The supplies they have attached also have a number. These are all added together. Let's say that equals 17. For the first ten, that is one success. Then if the dice roll is below the remainder (7), that is another success. You want to roll low in this regard.

Should I buy this game?:

This game is for fans of Ameritrash games. This is pure American gaming goodness. There is quite a bit to juggle with the different characters and supplies. The game has a lot of dice rolling so many things in the game is based on chance. Also, there are quite a few take that cards that will drive some gamers crazy. This is a game without great miniatures and it doesn't particularly look all that great. These facts will turn some gamers off. For anyone remaining, this is a game that I highly recommend. If you fall into this category and enjoy solo gaming, then this is one I highly, highly recommend jumping into.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1644 Fallen Land: A Post Apocalyptic Board Game: A wild show down in an uncertain future; a real Ameri-trash sort of game
Thanks for posting, always enjoy reading these.

Note that the solo mode is introduced in the expansion. Also you mentioned that " "beat the game" in X amount of rounds " is how you play solo. But there is a 2nd solo mode that requires you to beat opposing faction(s) controlled by a chart of behaviors. I imagine the first solo variant is good for learning the ropes, and the 2nd is available for more challenging play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
johnb4bgg wrote:
Thanks for posting, always enjoy reading these.

Note that the solo mode is introduced in the expansion. Also you mentioned that " "beat the game" in X amount of rounds " is how you play solo. But there is a 2nd solo mode that requires you to beat opposing faction(s) controlled by a chart of behaviors. I imagine the first solo variant is good for learning the ropes, and the 2nd is available for more challenging play.

Yes, I didn't comment too much on solo because it is in the expansion and I will be doing a review of that soon. If you get the base game, I believe you can still play solo but you are racing against time only. I play a solo games a lot so I like to include if I think the game can be played solo. In this case, with just the main box, it would have to be a race against time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Lonngren
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, this is just as much a management game as is it is about adventure, politics, economics etc... Players can "mitigate" the risks they take, by assigning Spoils properly to the best character and deciding what deck to draw Encounter cards from in Multi-terrain hexes, per the strengths of their Party!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FDStudios wrote:
Remember, this is just as much a management game as is it is about adventure, politics, economics etc... Players can "mitigate" the risks they take, by assigning Spoils properly to the best character and deciding what deck to draw Encounter cards from in Multi-terrain hexes, per the strengths of their Party!

Yes, assigning those spoils can be a brain burner for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.