Poll created by SevenSpirits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Boots of Speed can let fast characters completely win the initiative war, which can be good against say Shamans, Night Demons, or Wind Demons, who might be going invisible or Disarming on sub 10 initiatives. But most of the time movement is important for both letting you get around with fewer cards and for letting you adjust to unexpected blocking.

There are a lot of good utility items. Pockets lets you bring more. Many characters will find that quite handy, especially if they're not getting attacked all that much. It's probably not worth rushing to get these, but at higher prosperity or with good found items these good be pretty handy. I'm considering selling a class item for this on my current character.

Talisman is good. The baseline use will be a stamina potion, which is already good. And depending on the available items and situation, you can adjust. Some classes should be defaulting to this (or the higher level variant) for their head item.

Two handed weapons for melee are tough because they mean not using a shield. But if you have a big attack, hitting two guys with it can be pretty awesome. Especially if its a status attack as well.

Weighted Net is basically a stun on the round you'll use it, and its only a tap. Mostly range characters should be considering this, especially if they have high damage that a one shot pierce doesn't sound appealing.

Many groups will not need a minor mana potion. OTOH, the pay off is potentially quite high if you can coordinate its use for other character mixes.

An on demand stun is good, but hard to justify for its slot unless you have pockets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
The Battle Axe is a one-handed item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gu├░brandur Magn├║sson
msg tools
Some of these items are kinda iffy, but their usefulness is undeniable in the right circumstance.

The boot's haven't proven better than actual movement point contributing boot but they can be incredibly clutch, especially on some of the less agile classes, especially in the case of support characters, the Tinkerer can swing his initiative around the Mindthief, Spellweaver and Brute to perform his supportive actions before or after them. The Slower and faster characters are harder to swing around.

The cloak of pockets, no comment. Potions are among the most powerful items and having more is obviously a good thing, the real question is: How many potions can you effectively cash in on?

Talisman requires some OP thing to cash in on. Just like the cloak of pockets this is less about IF it's a good card but IF you have something powerful to double up on.

Battle axe, now here we have a potentially useful card. It is such a simple thing that it needs scarcely any explanation: take a big attack, and double it! So, to make this thing useful to start with you obviously need, a big melee attack! Scoundrels and Brutes can generate attacks worth doubling fairly certainly. Any attack with stun on it might also be worth the extra target.

Weighted net is obviously good, for this card it's less a matter of whether it's "good" but if you have the hand-slots you're willing to dedicate to it. Near anybody can generate the attack to trigger this with, so how important are your hands to you? If you're not using a poison dagger then Scoundrels, Tinkerers and Mindhtieves can make very good use of this item.

Minor mana potion, like the other items, is directly linked to your circumstance, in this case reliance on the elements. Uniquely Mana potion is actually great for those characters who like to eat some mana every now and then, but have difficulty generating the correct resource beforehand. Brutes for example like a little wind in their hair before a Skewer attack, and have only one card to generate it with, a mana potion in this circumstance gives you some options. Don't discount the teamplay options either, with access to any element you can easily set up some pretty cool combos for a buddy.

Stun powder is good. My opinion is biased though as a Mindthief fan. The Mindthief and Scoundrel for example love to dip into combat but don't like taking hits, stun powder is perfect for this, you can play a Move+Fight card to dive in and use stun powder to stun your choicest opponent, it click's right into the mindthief strategy of engaging a foe and taking it out with a combination of control and a pressing volume of strength 3-5 attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagi Springfield
msg tools
Cloak/Talisman is GODLIKE on a spellweaver at lvl 2-3

Yes I'd like to give this Impaling eruption a +1, and I'll make some wind for my friend, and I'll get my cards back, and lemme just take a potion so I don't get killed, and btw lemme just get another two cards back here with this talisman/stamina potion...

Just sayin'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Boots of Speed are excellent for some unlocked classes, but not the starting 6 (except perhaps Tinkerer). They're best at keeping your summons alive for one more turn, or timing your buffs to go ahead of your allies.

Cloak of Pockets is great in theory, but not useful in practice. Front line characters want real armor, spellcasters want some of the unlockable chest pieces, glass cannons want invisibility cloaks, and it puts pressure on your wallet as well.

Empowering Talisman is expensive for a reason: it does everything you want Cloak of Pockets to do (refresh your best item) without reducing your survivability or damage output.

Battle Axe is just reliable extra damage. It's pretty easy to set up, particularly for classes like Lightning Bolt or Sun that don't have positional requirements to get max damage. However, it will soon be outclassed at prosperity 3 by weapons that do extra damage and don't get consumed.

Weighted Net is better than it looks, because it's so cheap. It's easy to throw into a build for any ranged attacker, it will be used in every scenario, and it prevents damage. What's not to like?

Stun Powder is a trap at prosperity 2; virtually all classes will get better results from an extra potion than a Stun Powder at low levels. At scenario level 4+, this is routinely better than a minor potion, just don't forget it exists!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
We just unlocked Prosp.2 items in my group, and as a Brute I was already eyeing the stun mace. But then, the battle-axe. It certainly seems powerful... but I only have like three non-loss single target melee attacks anyways. Sure it might be nice to live the dream of Balanced Measure'ing two dudes, but is it better than a two or three monster stun? Hm... think I talked myself into the axe...

Also, I guess the comments here respond a question I had about the Talisman. The card says refresh, and has the "untapping" symbol, but then uses the icon for potion-style items, which are consumed. I was unsure if worked with potions or if it was just for items that were refreshed on a long rest as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The untapping symbol, to the confusion of everyone, refers to getting back both spent and consumed items.

In the case of the talisman, however, you can only get back potions and other items with that pouch symbol, yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
SevenSpirits wrote:
The untapping symbol, to the confusion of everyone, refers to getting back both spent and consumed items.

In the case of the talisman, however, you can only get back potions and other items with that pouch symbol, yeah.

I've got a clarification question on this, but in the level 3 items for spoiler purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.