Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do people feel about Hide Armor vs Chainmail? I think it's not at all clear that Chainmail is the better item.

Hide Armor:
* Costs 10g less.
* Better if you get hit exactly twice between long rests.

Chainmail:
* Better if you get hit 3+ times between long rests.

(I'll assume you have "ignore negative item effects", otherwise both of these are probably not good.)

My personal experience (playing mostly at +1-2 difficulty, where the enemy attacks are admittedly for higher amounts and therefore more worth avoiding, and mostly with 2 players, where it's easier to outfox the enemies with movement) is you really really don't want to get hit much. I tracked damage for a few games and realized that Hide Armor would actually have prevented more damage than Chainmail. And that's not even accounting for the decreased cost which could let you e.g. buy another potion or a helmet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyles Breecher
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
For more players, you definitely want chainmail. It's a lot harder to avoid all the damage with more players (especially when monsters get to activate before your team!) In my opinion, chainmail is still usually better though.

As long as you take 3 damage between game start and your first long rest or 3 damage between your second and third long rest, chainmail will be absorbing at least 6 damage, the most hide armor could absorb in that same time. And you can absorb more if more damage was taken.

Plus, with chainmail you have more opportunities to short rest and lose less, which can be very beneficial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
My first party I found the prosperity 6 upgrade in the series before I bought Chainmail. This play I've got a character who needs to save up his gold for a retirement goal so I bought Chainmail*. So far I'd still call it worth it. It's not as cost effective, but I don't long rest very often, so it's rare that I don't get a full refresh on it. Both parties are 3p.

*I'd have just done Hide, but I need to buy both. Figured I'd start by wearing the better one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Barsanti
Canada
Ile Bizard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Moon Earring is amazing, and game breaking late in the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Heavy Greaves is perhaps the worst item in the game. Monsters simply don't push or pull you often enough for this to matter. It's heavy armor, but heavy armor classes need level 1 boots anyway, so they can't use it.

Chainmail is excellent, of course, but Hide Armor is usually just as good in a 2P setting.

Amulet of Life is useful only against poison-themed enemies, but will always provide a minor effect, making it better than the Iron Helm. It's no Goggles, but it's quite cheap.

Jagged Sword is great for anyone with a shield. Wound is generally better than Poison because it works even in single combat, and you shouldn't need two shields.

Long Spear is the best argument for not bringing a shield. The AOE is pretty easy to set up, and you'll have this back at the same time you recharge your boots and armor, meaning you'll get a double attack in every room. The opportunity cost is high, but the payoff is excellent.

The Moon Earring, of course, is just incredible. The better your items are, the more work this does, but even at prosperity 3, this routinely gives you +2 movement, +3 health, and +1 damage to your next attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of this discussion has made me realize our group doesn't value defense as much as most people do. Outside of a particular Boss battle, we've never had a Shield purchased, and I think only one character used traditional armor. Keep in mind that we've finished the campaign, so that's a lot of plays without any armor/shield...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I think the shields are kinda spendy, but I keep failing to unlock better hand items, so I tend to use them. I’ve got shield+axe on the tank and shield+bomb on Cthulhu. I’d normally not have bought him a shield, but I used it for the solo scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
To combine a couple different bits in to one post here for spoiler purposes, can you clarify the item refresh please? I know I read it somewhere, but can't find it.

"The untapping symbol, to the confusion of everyone, refers to getting back both spent and consumed items."

Let's take the Moon Earing which states you can use it to untap symbol "spent" items. Because it says "spent" is this only spent or does the untap symbol mean I can refresh a spent or a consumed? Let's say I've got a consumed Piercing Bow, can I refresh it?

The quote above makes me think yes, it's the untap, but there is an ability card out there that specifically says refresh a "consumed" item of type x or y, which makes me think there is supposed to be a difference...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T.
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tibbles wrote:
To combine a couple different bits in to one post here for spoiler purposes, can you clarify the item refresh please? I know I read it somewhere, but can't find it.

"The untapping symbol, to the confusion of everyone, refers to getting back both spent and consumed items."

Let's take the Moon Earing which states you can use it to untap symbol "spent" items. Because it says "spent" is this only spent or does the untap symbol mean I can refresh a spent or a consumed? Let's say I've got a consumed Piercing Bow, can I refresh it?

The quote above makes me think yes, it's the untap, but there is an ability card out there that specifically says refresh a "consumed" item of type x or y, which makes me think there is supposed to be a difference...

You never get consumned items (like potions) back unless you have a specific card/ability that allows you to do this. Not sure exactly what the untap symbol means here, but I think it's referring to items that allow you to refresh spent (not consumed) items only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tibbles wrote:

The untap symbol means to refresh the item: unspend it and unconsume it. It's now usable again.

Moon Earring says you can refresh spent items. Therefore it's no use in refreshing consumed items. Other refresh abilities might have other restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
SevenSpirits wrote:
tibbles wrote:

The untap symbol means to refresh the item: unspend it and unconsume it. It's now usable again.

Moon Earring says you can refresh spent items. Therefore it's no use in refreshing consumed items. Other refresh abilities might have other restrictions.

Thanks, phew. So the earring can so spent armor, but not the bow while the other card can do the bow, but not armor. That was how I was originally playing and then I saw that line and wondered if I’d been making it harder on myself the whole time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the great thing is that you can theoretically use one of your items twice in the same round or even action. Spend an item for an effect, immediately refresh it with the moon earring, and spend it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðbrandur Magnússon
msg tools
Greaves:
Suck balls. Plainly worse then saving for an enhancement. Pushing effects are too rare and dont generally matter enough to warrant wearing these.

Chainmail:
Great. A straight upgrade if tanking is your thing.

Amulet:
Decent. Counters poisons and wounds, not actually worth wearing unless you already plan to long rest a lot already to refresh other items too.

Jagged:
Decent. This card is not dependent on whether its good or not. Rather you must ask yourself: is my hand free? Am I using the spear or Warhammer? This sword is real good if youre using the shield tho.

Spear:
Very good. Repeatedly double a big attack? Yes please. It does require a bit of maneuverability and planning. You'd be surprised if I told you how often I failed to use this item on Brute because of initiative troubles. Very good on faster classes tho.

Major healing:
Good. Expand your HP bar by 5, what's not to like. Question is: can you spare the slot?

Earring:
If youve got a full lineup of tapping items this is obviously a good card. Otherwise you skip it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
How do people feel about Hide Armor vs Chainmail? I think it's not at all clear that Chainmail is the better item.

My Cragheart does a lot of tanking. There is rarely a rest cycle where its Hide Armor is not spent. Chainmail is a no-brainer in that case. But I'll agree, it's not a no-brainer always, simply because of the refresh rules. I don't consider the difference in cost to be the deciding factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.