Tom Slizewski
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play a card for War Status (because the prerequisite isn't met) does the bold text still apply?

For example on Ft. Ruppel. Can you play to gain war status and a VP?

Or to get the VP do you need to do the card text (move Greeks to Lamia in this case) and meet the prereq?

Another Example: Guns of August would add to war status and let you use the ops but you don't get the +1 combat bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Slizewski
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Any help here would be appreciated. This comes up in most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27690968#27690968

Quote:

4. "[War Status cards like CONVOY and SURRENDER OF FT. RUPEL] might be a problem since it limits a player’s flexibility. We just tend to assume that if the prerequisites are met you may always play war status event for the war status point only. It’s similar to PuG where you can play Russo-British Assault for war status points even after Round 1 of the Turn 1. I don't see anything in the IoG rules that PROHIBIT using a card for its WS Points where the Event can't be used. (bold part posted by Perry Silverman as a response)

I really don't agree with playing for WS Points only (yes, I'am a rules lawyer, and they don't allow it), but as the designer himself is fine with playing for WS only, so should you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Slizewski
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I'd read that previous post and I think you should be able to play for War Status only. Otherwise a lot of luck is introduced as to who gets their VP War Status cards first since some cancel others.

But the question remains: When playing for War Status do you get only War Status or all of the bold non-event text, i.e. the victory points on Ruppel, Subs in Med etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ups, probably should have read your post more carefully.
Obviously this is not covered by the rules. I'd consider the entire text as the event, therefore no effects other than War Status increase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Slizewski
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is effectively dead if basic questions like this won't be answered in nearly two weeks time.

I actually don't see in the rules where cards can be played for War Status only. This was ruled legal in PuG but IoG rules indicate the opposite.

Since the WS change is technically part of the event and certain events can be blocked by other cards it's far from obvious that a card that does not meet it's event prerequisite can be played for War Status.

And my question remains, if it is played for War Status while not meeting its event prerequisite do you get the bold text, usually VPs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Silverman
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've posted elsewhere, nothing in IoG's rules prohibit using a card-- whose Event cannot be played--to gain WS points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'll bite Perry.

Definition of Strategy Card, p. 4:

Quote:

Strategy Card:
This is the engine that runs the game. A Strategy Card can be played
to activate spaces for Movement or Combat, to provide RPs that repair or rebuild Combat Units, or for the Event described on the card.

I don't see anything here mentioning that you can play for WS only.

If that's not enough, here we go:

P. 10
Quote:
....or play a card from their hands for Operations (OPS)
Points, Strategic Redeployment (SR) Points, Replacement Points (RPs),
or for its Event.

Again, not on the list.

P. 12, 9.3.A

Quote:
9.3 Using Strategy Cards
a.
Each Strategy Card can be used in one of four possible ways: for Operations (OPS) Points, for Strategic Redeployment (SR), for Replacement Points (RPs), or for an Event.

Explicitly forbidden here.

p.14

Quote:
c.
Some of the Events have pre-requisites printed on the card,and such a card cannot be played as an Event until the prerequisites are satisfied

Quote:

When a Strategy Card contains War Status Points in parentheses
to the right of the Event name, and the card is played as an Event,
advance the player’s War Status marker and the Combined War Status marker on the General Records Track by the number of points in parentheses.

Forbidden to play the card as event, unless prerequisite is fulfilled.. As WS is only credited IF you play the card as an Event, you can't play for WS only.

Bold format
added by me.

Of course you can rule/errata as you like, as it's your game. But that statement is incorrect. Didn't bother to check the rest of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Slizewski
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And again, the main question is ignored.

Assuming, contrary to the current version of the living rules, that cards can be played just for War Status, does any of the other text apply?

For keeping track of card type played I assume it's considered playing an "Other Event" so one can do it unlimited times in a turn.

But is all it does is change War Status? No VP gain on Subs in Med after Convoy for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Silverman
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, playing a card for WS points when the Event is not playable just adds to the War Status. To get VPs, the Event must be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Slizewski
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. We played that wrong but easy fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.