Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Knott
United States
Blacksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I thought I'd occasionally update my progress through my very first mission of Fields of Fire.. Normandy. I'm barely grasping the rules, but the horrific narrative has been entertaining thus far..

1st Turn... 1st and 2nd platoons split off an Assault Team from 3rd squad to scout ahead on the right two columns. Bocage and an Orchard.

1st platoon finds cover in the bocage while 2nd platoons Assault team is too busy picking apples. Suddenly a whine, a roar and a Kaboom. Both Assault teams meet Art Spotters... 1st platoon lives on as a Litter Team, while 2nd seems to be a red splotch.

The spotters are directly ahead of each however firing diagonally.

Turn 2

Not wanting to risk more men to ARtillery, 3rd platoon splits off an assault team and moves up into marsh on the far left column. The reaming 2 steps of 3rd squad moves ahead into a gully hoping to find cover to allow a position from which to spot and lay fire on the spotter to up-right.

Still moving quite conservatively...

3rd platoons assault team in the marsh finds a minefield overwatched with an HMG. Kaboom... Another litter team.

Fortunately the 2 step remainder of 3rd squad clears the gully without incident and finds cover.

The artillery on the far left switches targets and this means two pending fire missions are now incoming on the pinned litter team from 1st Platoon. Fortunately, both spotters fail to draw another fire mission for now... Frankly it would have been better if they both had as they would have been out of ammo and my path forward would have been much clearer..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bauer
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you use the upgrade kit/rules? I haven't got into mine in years but just bought the upgrade and wondered if it made the game a bit more easier to understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is tough sometimes because there is no *right* solution to the puzzle that results in no casualties like there might be in another game. I actually think this reflects the source material well. Sending the assault teams forward is basically the best way to move forward conservatively...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I misread this as:

Fields of Arle: A slow walk forward... Bodies in my wake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Knott
United States
Blacksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwbgamer wrote:
Did you use the upgrade kit/rules? I haven't got into mine in years but just bought the upgrade and wondered if it made the game a bit more easier to understand.

I never had the original so I never tried to get through those rules. These I hear are better laid out, but I'm still primarily picking it up by watching several of the YouTube series online. Both Chris Hobbes and CounterAttacks are really good.

From there a I've referred to the rules and needed.

The Fields of Fire Bootcamp has been useful with some nice strategy tip articles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.