Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: [Amazon] First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet $23.99 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua C.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who posts on this forum. I finally came across a deal no one else seem to know about yet.

Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/Portal-Games-First-Martians-Board/dp/...

BGG https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/192455/first-martians-ad...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
HODL
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
malifer wrote:
Thanks to everyone who posts on this forum. I finally came across a deal no one else seem to no about yet.

Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/Portal-Games-First-Martians-Board/dp/...

BGG https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/192455/first-martians-ad...
Misread the title and thought they had mispriced Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition). Still, $23.99 is a fantastic price for First Martians.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already a thread on it, but you're right it's going lower.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
There's already a thread on it, but you're right it's going lower.


Oh no! double post. I missed the thread. damn you ctrl+f!

Oh well back to being a lurker on this forum. laugh
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lencioni
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dang this thing has dropped fast, they must have expected much better reviews
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
There's already a thread on it, but you're right it's going lower.

yup... but it was 5 days ago and an all time low then.... this came just keeps going down ... I think one of the board game etailers also had it marked down even more trying to unload it.

only one of my geek buds has rated it... giving it only a 4... and this is a guy who imho normally gives ratings on the too high side not too low.

[Amazon] First Martians - currently lower than CCC shows for lowest price $26.95
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuck in Stalag BGG
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Athex wrote:
dang this thing has dropped fast, they must have expected much better reviews


Yeah, this one was/is a dog.

App requirement is a killer.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
klkitchens wrote:


App requirement is a killer.


Why?
If you can access BGG, you can use the app, no?
Or am I missing something?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lencioni
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Athex wrote:
dang this thing has dropped fast, they must have expected much better reviews


Yeah, this one was/is a dog.

App requirement is a killer.


I think its probably less about the app requirement, as more of that it wasnt a very good app. I mean alchemists basically has an app requirement and that one has very good reviews.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If anything killed this game, it's the weight. There's a huge learning curve on this game. Even those familiar with Robinson Crusoe have struggled with First Martians because, for a reimplementation, FM has very little in common with its predecessor. The app does its intended job just fine, but helping to learn the game, unfortunately, isn't one of those intended jobs. But in all objectivity, this is not a bad game and the overall BGG ranking reflects that. This game is in the top 1500, which puts it in some pretty elite company. For a third of MSRP less than six months after its release, anyone who is remotely interested in it with Prime free shipping might as well give it a chance. But find someone who already knows how to play to teach it to you, because that really does help a lot.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
radagast14 wrote:
If anything killed this game, it's the weight. There's a huge learning curve on this game. Even those familiar with Robinson Crusoe have struggled with First Martians because, for a reimplementation, FM has very little in common with its predecessor. The app does its intended job just fine, but helping to learn the game, unfortunately, isn't one of those intended jobs. But in all objectivity, this is not a bad game and the overall BGG ranking reflects that. This game is in the top 1500, which puts it in some pretty elite company. For a third of MSRP less than six months after its release, anyone who is remotely interested in it with Prime free shipping might as well give it a chance. But find someone who already knows how to play to teach it to you, because that really does help a lot.


Yeah this was what I figured. I've read there have been improvements to the app and support since it's initial release.

I think the weight is the biggest obstacle, but I'm up for it.

I don't mind needing an app for a game. Sure 10 years from now there may be an issue, but if I play any game that much I will have gotten my use out of it.

I can understand why a review said this wasn't great especially for $60+ but for a little more than the price of pizza I'm going to give it a shot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I jumped in at $26. For a solo gamer this is a good game for that price!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sobhi Youssef
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
This game might soon dethrone in the year of the dragon as having the most hot deals coverage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Athex wrote:
dang this thing has dropped fast, they must have expected much better reviews


Yeah, this one was/is a dog.

App requirement is a killer.


That is in no way the reason the game is tanking. Many App-driven games have been wildly successful. It's downright dishonest to try to claim that this game is doing badly because it goes against some personal preference that you have. You're cherry-picking a single example to try to fit an untrue narrative.


It's the bad rulebook that killed it.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Espinosa
United States
FPO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐ (╯︵╰,)
badge
(ლ‸-)__(-‸ლ)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
Athex wrote:
dang this thing has dropped fast, they must have expected much better reviews


Yeah, this one was/is a dog.

App requirement is a killer.


That is in no way the reason the game is tanking. Many App-driven games have been wildly successful. It's downright dishonest to try to claim that this game is doing badly because it goes against some personal preference that you have. You're cherry-picking a single example to try to fit an untrue narrative.


It's the bad rulebook that killed it.


The bad rule book and the fact that the designer and publisher came out punching at the fans for pointing it out. I pretty much stay away from Portal now.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anders

California
msg tools
I own this game. I haven't played it yet. I'm hoping that the files on the BGG page answer any rulebook questions I'll have.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.M. Diller
United States
North Street
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:

App requirement is a killer.


In your opinion. You keep stating it like it's fact. The app requirement doesn't bother me at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Athex wrote:
dang this thing has dropped fast, they must have expected much better reviews


Yeah, this one was/is a dog.

App requirement is a killer.


Mansions of Madness 2nd edition is currently ranked #19. App requirements aren't killers. Poor app implementation and poor rule books(which Portal is known by default for doing) are things which kill games.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
matthean wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
Athex wrote:
dang this thing has dropped fast, they must have expected much better reviews


Yeah, this one was/is a dog.

App requirement is a killer.


Mansions of Madness 2nd edition is currently ranked #19. App requirements aren't killers. Poor app implementation and poor rule books(which Portal is known by default for doing) are things which kill games.


Not sure it’s required for that game (Mom) though. It’s an option, right?


You can not play the 2nd edition of MoM without the app.

1st Edition, which is inferior to 2nd, requires one player run the game.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uggh...I hate this thread.

I bought the pre-order and cringe every time I see how low it's dropped.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni
United States
MINNEAPOLIS
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gradman2k3 wrote:
Uggh...I hate this thread.

I bought the pre-order and cringe every time I see how low it's dropped.


I almost pre-ordered it because of how much I love Robinson Crusoe. After hearing the critical reviews I was really glad I didn't. I've learned that it's really not wise to order directly from the publisher, the game will almost always be available cheaper. I just never expected it to be this cheap, but that price certainly reflects some of its problems.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
jmdiller wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

App requirement is a killer.


In your opinion. You keep stating it like it's fact. The app requirement doesn't bother me at all.


In your opinion

Common sense that it’s opinion. Goes without saying.

shake


IMHO, your opinion is like, your opinion. Pistols at dawn.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Lawrence
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
FM was just dropped off on my doorstep today. I couldn't pass it up at that price point any longer. I'm really not sure it deserves all the hate it's been getting. I bet it doesn't. I haven't played it yet. Probably won't for awhile, because Gloomhaven has me locked down. I'll tell you this though, FM is a beautiful game. I opened it and was really impressed by the components and graphic design. Really nice work.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fitzpatrick
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
I love everything...
badge
...that begins with Star!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Yeah, this one was/is a dog.

App requirement is a killer.


Your point, sir, is a valid one. I too am occasionally the victim of angry nerds. Pay it no mind.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Sarikov
Israel
Petah Tikva
Gush Daan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smallville247 wrote:
FM was just dropped off on my doorstep today. I couldn't pass it up at that price point any longer. I'm really not sure it deserves all the hate it's been getting. I bet it doesn't. I haven't played it yet. Probably won't for awhile, because Gloomhaven has me locked down. I'll tell you this though, FM is a beautiful game. I opened it and was really impressed by the components and graphic design. Really nice work.


When the second edition will come out you will be more impressed with it, good luck play testing for us :-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.