Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unlocking new cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Steinburgh
United States
New York
flag msg tools
As characters level up it states they can add higher level ability cards matching their level. From what I read is it correct in that if my character reaches level 2 they can only add 1 level two card to the deck?
Or can they add as many level two cards as they want (always equaling 8 for the spellweaver)

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravi Bhikhie
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get to add ONE new card to your "pool of cards". The choice of cards is: all cards equal AND BELOW your current level.

So when you become level 2, you can choose ONE OF THE TWO level 2 cards.
When you become level 3, you can choose from the previously not chosen level 2 card AND the new level 3 cards.
Again, you only pick ONE.

When you reach level 9, you will have added EIGHT new cards to your deck.
The rest stays in the box(for this current instance of the character). See the FAQ.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of this like your skill / tech / specialization tree for this character this round. Next time someone plays your spell weaver they may pick different cards for the "spec" they want to play.

Tangent: This is actually my only complaint with the game so far... Some of the level cards are obviously better than others (for the brute) so it leaves less room for 'customization' of a class. I would like to choose different cards to try them out, but this is against the rules so I want to avoid breaking them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gillam
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...How many times does this need to asked/answered!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek999950 wrote:
...How many times does this need to asked/answered!


Tons of people just got the game, lots more are going to (until supplies run out again), and there are a lot of new rules and concepts for them to digest. If it pains you to see all these posts asking about the rules, you may want to unsubscribe from the game forum for a while. It's not going to change anytime soon.

Personally, I think the large numbers of BGG users who are willing to answer the same questions over and over deserve a few pats on the back. They're doing good work.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mellman99 wrote:
Tangent: This is actually my only complaint with the game so far... Some of the level cards are obviously better than others (for the brute) so it leaves less room for 'customization' of a class. I would like to choose different cards to try them out, but this is against the rules so I want to avoid breaking them.
Nothing stops you from trying out some cards and later switching them out, as long as you get the okay from your gaming group. While many times you have either a very clear choice, or two cards that are always useful, sometimes the true value of a card takes a while to figure out. I know I'd be cool with anyone wanting to switch their choice if they just weren't having any fun with the new card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I'm going to let people try out different cards and builds whenever they like, so long as they follow the other deck construction rules. There's so much content in this game, I'm not going to force a player to use a character twice just to get the most out of it when there are so many other classes to play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Derek999950 wrote:
...How many times does this need to asked/answered!

not nearly as many times as people ask/whine about rolling modifiers and advantage.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mellman99 wrote:
Some of the level cards are obviously better than others (for the brute) so it leaves less room for 'customization' of a class.


I disagree. While it does suck that you can't respec a character, there's still a lot of flexibility to be gained. Often, you'll have a specific style of playing a character, and the card choices are optimal for that playstyle. Your equipment will usually compliment that way of playing.

The Brute is actually a pretty good example: Depending on team composition, you'll definitely have to decide between high damage or sturdiness. You can also build for Greed, Mobility, single target or AoE. I think, once prosperity is high enough, you could even pull off a ranged, tankmage style brute.

My first brute build went for extreme tankiness, since the group was Brute, Tinkerer, Elementalist, Scoundrel. This came back to haunt me when I played duo Brute-Triforce and the Triforce decided to go for a support build. Suddenly, I had to deal much more damage, but all of my gear and abilities were build towards damage mitigiation. It was pretty ugly.

Oh, and about the respec: I saw a pretty nifty house rule that allowed groups to respec if someone retires. It's a nice way to deal with changing group dynamics and allows you to go back on choices that you've come to dislike.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
swheelock wrote:

Personally, I think the large numbers of BGG users who are willing to answer the same questions over and over deserve a few pats on the back. They're doing good work.


Personally I think those people are to blame that the forum is a big pile of constantly repeated rubbish. I miss the old email discussion lists where people learned to use the search function the hard way - no one answered their questions otherwise, all they got were snarky remarks about being too lazy to search and dumping work onto others. I don't see absolutely any advantage in people being spoon fed the rules without any effort on their side. If anything, they just aquire bad habits.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
florencka wrote:
swheelock wrote:

Personally, I think the large numbers of BGG users who are willing to answer the same questions over and over deserve a few pats on the back. They're doing good work.


Personally I think those people are to blame that the forum is a big pile of constantly repeated rubbish. I miss the old email discussion lists where people learned to use the search function the hard way - no one answered their questions otherwise, all they got were snarky remarks about being too lazy to search and dumping work onto others. I don't see absolutely any advantage in people being spoon fed the rules without any effort on their side. If anything, they just aquire bad habits.

does the search function pick up on things hidden in spoiler tags?
since many people are anal about things ever being even named outside of spoiler tags, it can really impede searching.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:

does the search function pick up on things hidden in spoiler tags?
since many people are anal about things ever being even named outside of spoiler tags, it can really impede searching.


No, the search function doesn't. But google does and it searches much better than the search function here anyway. You can always use site:boardgamegeek.com in your query, however most of the time it's not needed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
florencka wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

does the search function pick up on things hidden in spoiler tags?
since many people are anal about things ever being even named outside of spoiler tags, it can really impede searching.


No, the search function doesn't. But google does and it searches much better than the search function here anyway. You can always use site:boardgamegeek.com in your query, however most of the time it's not needed.


Even without the spoiler tags, I always google for answers. You'll be sure to find the answer much faster than flipping around the forums.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.