Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my limited experience, seems like the energy scoop is a great option. Puddle Jumper has decent cargo holds, a great impulse move, and the energy scoop really helps with power control. Allows you to go longer between refuelings. Adding that the energy scoop is free to use, makes in much more versatile that the other abilities which are great but only for certain circumstances. Through in the chance for a roll-20 fp every turn.

This just seems a no brainer to select every game.

Yes, I know you can pick other options to change things up; just discussing the strategies of picking something over Energy Scoop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple really good tier 1 ships. While the energy scoop is as great ability and the puddle jumper is a nice ship, there are others that I would pick first of given the chance.

The obvious is the TacX reroll.

Ghost walker is another extremely useful one.

I also like the afterburner for larger games as it gives you that little extra boost for when the map is likely to be spread way out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

aleuhe wrote:
This just seems a no brainer to select every game.

And if someone else picks it before you? What's your 2nd choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think Swamp Rat is quite strong, with the largest hold space at tier 1 and a powerful, flexible ability.

If you have the Embers expansion, I also recommend Vagabond, since it's a great way to get extra cargo cubes, making it easier to complete cargo missions, claim the collector title, and/or sell them to get extra cash.

And if you don't have the Embers expansion, there's a Kickstarter that begins in 3 days where you can get it (and another small expansion)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo Momo
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Give me the Swamp Rat any day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't understand why given the chance someone wouldn't take Swamp Rat first every time, and Easy Tiger if it's gone...

I'm usually looking for what will help most mid to late game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group starts with a randomly picked Tier I ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Martino
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, us too. When you start, you're broke, and pretty much buy the first shipp you see and can afford.
Or we'll deal out 3 randomly, and then pick. Either way, a big part of the initial ship is random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.