Dice Forge» Forums » Variants

Subject: 4 die per player in 2-player games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dragon Milenario
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi, guys.

First of all, sorry for my english and I have to say that I haven't yet received the game that will come to me during the week, but I've thought of this variant when looking at videos and watching the manual.

I'm going to play almost always with my wife and from what I've understood, in games of two players, the dice are always thrown twice... as there are dice left over I wonder why not use them all, that is, 4 dice per player.

In addition, so that the game is equally balanced, instead of taking an improvement token, if you decide to improve your dice with the market tokens, you can take two tokens from the same place and improve two dices.

In this way, two things are solved:

- No more throwing the dice twice.
- You can no longer have to remove two tokens per zone before starting the game.

Is there anything I don't see in this variant? Sounds very legit to me.

Best regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Auto Au
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems viable and have an advantage of MORE DICE CHUCKING.
But I can imagine the drawback of longer decision making time because you now have to insert 2 die faces every turn instead of one.

Also, you will take longer time to reset all the dice to initial state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seax daVe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds really interesting. I like it, I'll try it on my next play.

The only difference I can think about is that your dice are going to be slightly different due to the pools with no-duplicated faces. But anyway, this is maybe the point where that rules makes the game even more exciting.

Thanks for the idea!
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Iersel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
Elmo likes to roll the dice
mbmbmbmbmb
You will have less resources available because the chance of rolling a 1G is really high with 4 dice. I’m guessing it will really “slow down” the game resource wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragon Milenario
Spain
flag msg tools
It's not the same as rolling 2 dices twice?

Sorry if I don't understand correctly.

Edit: it's a reply to Wim van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seax daVe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think is going to be the same if dice are well balance (what I was already assuming).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nygaard
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely not the same.

Let's say you focus heavily on forging dice and forge 10 sides over the course of the game. Using 2 dice, you've replaced every single 1-gold face. Using 4 dice, there are still 10 more 1-gold faces left among your pools. The chances of rolling 1s is way, way higher when you're using 4 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragon Milenario
Spain
flag msg tools
Hopelesst wrote:
It is definitely not the same.

Let's say you focus heavily on forging dice and forge 10 sides over the course of the game. Using 2 dice, you've replaced every single 1-gold face. Using 4 dice, there are still 10 more 1-gold faces left among your pools. The chances of rolling 1s is way, way higher when you're using 4 dice.

In this variant you take two tokens not only one. As so, you dont need to remove any tokens before playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragon Milenario
Spain
flag msg tools
After having tried several 2p games with this variant, I have to say that the game is much better for 2 players with this. There is more choice, more decision, a little more AP, but in such a light game is tolerable.

Some considerations:

- Every player starts with 2 light dices and 2 dark ones.
- When you choose to improve your dice with tokens, take 2 tokens instead of 1 and place them on two different dices. They must be 2 tokens of the same group.
- If a card or by expulsion tells you to roll 2 dice, you choose to roll 2 of your dices. Only all 4 are rolled during the first phase of each turn by the 2 players.

Try this variant in your 2p games. IMHO It's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seax daVe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear that, we have to try it!!

Did you worry about balance all dice decisions like placing both tokens from the same group on the same type of dice (light/dark)? And for example if a card says roll 2 dice you take one light and one dark to keep the balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragon Milenario
Spain
flag msg tools
seaxdave wrote:
Glad to hear that, we have to try it!!

Did you worry about balance all dice decisions like placing both tokens from the same group on the same type of dice (light/dark)? And for example if a card says roll 2 dice you take one light and one dark to keep the balance?

Interesting thing, on my plays we roll the 2 dice of our own choice, no matter the color. It may be interesting to allways roll mandatory one of each color. I will try this.

And also interesting to always put the tokens in the same type of dice, to keep the game more as the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragon Milenario
Spain
flag msg tools
I've finally managed to debug this variant to make it as close as the original game as possible. This way, we can roll 4 dice instead of 2 dice twice (something a bit weird, to be honest) and not have to remove tokens from the board at de beginning of the game.

1. The 4 dice are rolled at the start of the turn instead of 2. From this moment on, if a card or any other situation indicates throwing only one, or two dice, once or several times, it will be the player who chooses which dice to throw. If it is one, you can choose any of your four dice, if two, always one light and one dark.

2. When improving the dice, follow the original rules but take two tokens instead of one, equal or from the same zone (in cases where equal may not be) and place them in two dice of the same color (or light or dark).

This is what you get:

- More choice, more depth of choice. Being such a lightweight game, the increase in AP is very little and the gameplay improvement and control are much greater.
- There are no empty zones on the die face board.
- Throwing 4 dice once is much more entertaining and faster than two dice twice.

***There is only one negative aspect in this variant, and that is the increase in power of the x3 face, which can be solved with the home rule that if two x3 come out together, the action is eliminated in that turn.

Greetings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.