Hide
8 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rationalising the "Barricade" card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex W.
msg tools
This isn't strictly a rules question but it's rules-related. Barricade is discarded if an investigator leaves the location to which it applies. However there is no change if an investigator enters the location. I am sure there is a good game balance reason for this being the case so I'm perfectly willing to accept it from that point of view.

Can someone help me find a way of picturing what this means in the "role-play" side of things? If I picture having to dismantle the barricade to get out, surely they'd have to do that to let anyone in too? Discarding when the last investigator leaves the location would make more sense to me, as the barricade is then unmaintained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Dean
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perhaps the investigator knows a way to get through the barricade without it being destroyed. As allies I'm sure they would have shared this knowledge. Or perhaps the investigator knew of another way in that the monsters do not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a chute. You can slide in, but you can't climb out.

There's a doberman preventing unauthorized entry. First Investigator leaves, the dog goes with them.

There's a ritual. Leaving invalidates the spell.

There's a bunch of big heavy boxes stacked up. An Investigator could have left without making them all topple over, but they tripped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Reid
United Kingdom
Camberley
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:

There's a bunch of big heavy boxes stacked up. An Investigator could have left without making them all topple over, but they tripped.

"You tripped again Rex. You always trip over your own damn boxes!"

"Just my luck, heh".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The door swings into the room you are in. You brace a chair against the door. You could easily move the chair to let your friend into the room. However when the last investigator leaves it would near impossible to brace the chair against the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbclac wrote:
The door swings into the room you are in. You brace a chair against the door. You could easily move the chair to let your friend into the room. However when the last investigator leaves it would near impossible to brace the chair against the door.

The problem is that the barricade disappears when any Investigator leaves, no matter how many Investigators are still there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always imagined when another person leaves, the person that put up the barricade gets demoralized and no longer has the will to keep it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W.
msg tools
What I'm hearing here is "role play whatever works" which I am fully on board with. Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.