22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Why would a Kickstarter game be limited to only 250 copies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
A recent KS project had game limited to only 250 copies. I wonder why they do that? I asked but got no reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Casey
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they're self-published, 250 copies might be the maximum that they feel comfortable assembling. Or it could be a niche game that doesn't have a large audience. Just a couple of thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
A recent KS project had game limited to only 250 copies. I wonder why they do that?

FOMO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
A recent KS project had game limited to only 250 copies. I wonder why they do that?

Because they only want to print 250 copies?

Still, the best running show on BGG. I tune in for every chapter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would they make the game the way they're making it anyway?

They're calling it a premium block game but it's just a block game with a small number of blocks and a hardbound rulebook for some dumb reason? And it's like 80 or 90 bucks or something?

I don't understand it. I'd say maybe I'm not their audience but I really am!

I guess they just want to publish it for some reason but know it won't sell or be any good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
caseypd63 wrote:
If they're self-published, 250 copies might be the maximum that they feel comfortable assembling.

Manufacturers give discounts for quantities, and 250 might be the minimum quantity for a discount threshold.

Manufacturers have multiple clients and have to schedule them. The creator may have already scheduled a 250-copy print run, with the understanding that, if they were to order beyond this, the manufacturer would have to reschedule the print run, delaying the project.

The creator manages his project on the assumption that 250 copies will be sold. Sorta like retail works, really... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because KickStarter is garbage. If the game is any good, someone will publish...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Because KickStarter is garbage. If the game is any good, someone will publish...

Tell that to Gloomhaven or 7th Continent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven can be bought retail AFAIK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Because they are hand making it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
Gloomhaven can be bought retail AFAIK

Bought retail because it was Kickstartered twice. It's highly unlikely to have ever seen a retail release without Kickstarter.

Whether you get games at retail post Kickstarter doesn't matter. Kickstarter has brought many great games to the hobby that would've been lucky to be available as print and play.

Anyways, if it's a block game and they're making it by hand, then it could be the maximum inventory they feel comfortable making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
scifiantihero wrote:

They're calling it a premium block game but it's just a block game with a small number of blocks and a hardbound rulebook for some dumb reason? And it's like 80 or 90 bucks or something?

I guess they just want to publish it for some reason but know it won't sell or be any good.

Yes you know which game I am talking about. Quite a risk buying without reviews. this is a small company I assume. So if it well received and more people want it, I don't think they would refuse to print more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I know the project you are talking about. I noticed it and thought, what? It kinda puts me off backing (not that I would have backed this one anyway) rather than thinking how super exclusive it is.

I guess the reason why is that they had only 222 backers for a previous kickstarter.

No point I guess them landing up with a load of copies they can't shift.

I see some games on BGG with huge scores but only 80-200 owners listed.

Makes you realise how niche this hobby is at times, especially a niche within a niche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Yes you know which game I am talking about. Quite a risk buying without reviews. this is a small company I assume. So if it well received and more people want it, I don't think they would refuse to print more.

Worthington Publishing. Just do a little research; it's not that hard. And the game is based on a pre-existing system, so people can get an idea how it plays. There's also a "learn to play" video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
A recent KS project had game limited to only 250 copies. I wonder why they do that? I asked but got no reply.

Your question implies that you think something is wrong with that. I wonder why you think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
For a number of reasons, ranging from stock clearance to extremely limited print-runs and including lack of faith in the project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

Seriously, some of my favorite games exist because of kickstarter. There's no market in retail for a $400.00 game the size of a child with two dozen expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
TVis wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

Your question implies that you think something is wrong with that. I wonder why you think so.

Hesitant to pledge based on this type of marketing, having no idea if the game will go over well and no chance to buy it retail after the reviews are out. Doesn't inspire confidence in the buyer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

I bought Gloomhaven at retail.

Pete (even used store credit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I have considered running a Kickstarter a few times. It would be limited to about 20 copies as that's about as much bother as I want to sign up for and Kickstarter is not so bad for a simple shopping cart, especially for a once-and-done operation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is there air?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:
Seriously, some of my favorite games exist because of kickstarter. There's no market in retail for a $400.00 game the size of a child with two dozen expansions.

MTG wants a word with you

Of course you are right though. Publishing entails risk, and some risks won't find anyone willing to take them on. KS distributes the risk across many backers, so that no one person is risking very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.