Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this game via 2 players. Thus my analysis is only for that mode of play.

The game is broken for the 2 player game. After many failed attempts to win as the POWs I decided to set up my ideal situation. I put half of my guys on one side of the prison and the other half on the other end. I gave myself 5 ropes and two wire cutters. I let the guards setup wherever they wanted because at this point they would have had time to get into their ideal position anyways. I gave myself 36 movement points. It still wasn't enough to get two guys to escape. Okay so build it all back up and get another guy to escape? Sure only if you play the maximum rounds on the board. The recommended rounds it can't be done without the guard player blundering.

Seems to me the only way to win is have a tunnel card and have at least one of the cards that sends a guard back to his barracks. Since getting those are mere chance you might as well do nothing in the game until you get those.

Now, one possible problem is we play it that when a guard "warps" to one of his black dots he can immediately start moving. Not allowing that could be the difference.

I imagine it's not as difficult the more POW players you have. The reason is you're cycling through more cards per turn and should have an easier time getting the ideal setup.

BTW: I think I found a far better way to play this game. Start on turn 30. The POW gets to start with 4 equipment cards of his choice. He puts a POW anywhere inside the castle he wants. Then the guard places one of his pieces anywhere on the board that's legal. You keep alternating this way. Eventually you end up with a setup that would have been the same had you started at round 50, more or less. Unless you think the buildup is the fun part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game isn't broken just because you Reynolds playing it well. 2 player game has ONLY 6 guards to cover the whole prison. And just like in multiplayer game, the idea is to create chaos of simultaneous escape attempts as the guard doesn't have enough power to cover the escapes at all times.

And you don't need to nerf guards with house rules. But if you do, it's your game, do as you will to find it fun - just keep in mind that it can make the game too easy for prisoners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Quote:

Now, one possible problem is we play it that when a guard "warps" to one of his black dots he can immediately start moving. Not allowing that could be the difference.

Here's your problem. That massively increases the maneuverability of the guards, and means that player doesn't need to plan as carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to agree with the OP that this is not a 2-player game. I personally will not play this at 2 or 3 player. IMHO the game does not scale well.

Slashdoctor wrote:
And just like in multiplayer game, the idea is to create chaos of simultaneous escape attempts as the guard doesn't have enough power to cover the escapes at all times.

The trouble is the POWs in 2-player only get 1 dice throw per dice throw of the guards, whereas every additional player adds a throw of the dice. So with 2 players the average movement points of both guards and POWs per turn is 7, with 6 players the POWs average 35. Add to this the extra card availability for the POWs, as the OP points out, and there is a significant shift in balance.

For the German Security Officer player this is off-set slightly by the increased number of pawns, however this helps only if they are strategically positioned. As such this makes the game actually more interesting for the GSO player as they have to rely on pre-placement as opposed to the "warp".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.