Subject: The Oracle Variant introduces random luck and confuses me rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ChToHe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules on the Oracle Variant, I want to understand how the variant is played by most and what are your thoughts.

1. It seems to me the only way an Oracle will benefit the player is if a new row is created and in the process of drawing 4 cards, one or more Oracle is drawn.

2. Then the current player lucks out and gets to peek and select one of the sacrificial cards on the altar. All the Oracle cards are then discarded.

I guess you can argue it may be tactical to exhaust a line of cards in hopes of drawing a random Oracle. But even then, this seems largely determined by luck, whether or not you hit an Oracle during your draw. I think the Oracle is quite powerful in that not only do you know the type of cards on the altar, you also get to keep one. Seems to be pretty darn powerful to be left to fate of the draw.

On my first reading, I thought one had to select and play the card later in order to trigger the power of the Oracle. That may work in game play, except if the last card on display before scoring is an Oracle, then I wouldn't know what to do. I guess you can just discard the Oracle and pick the card right below it to score.

Basically, what I am saying is that it feels that The Oracle variant just adds more randomness to the game and there might be an easy way to tweak the rules a bit to eliminate luck of the draw

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Regulski
United Kingdom
LEEDS
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I was thinking the same...How about the Oracle card has to be picked up as your " draw from the offering " to make up to 3 hand cards ?; it then gets resolved immediately and the card you get from the altar goes into your hand instead...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.