Assume that we have a system with 2 planets and 1 space dock on each of the planets.

1) Producing with 1 space dock

When I produce with 1 of the space docks, I can add all unit cost together and then pay for them at once. This is beneficial, because otherwise - i.e. paying for each unit separately - I could have difficulties paying all units without wasting surplus planet resources.

Example: I produce two destroyers with a space dock, each for 1 cost. All my readied planets have 2 resources and I do not have any trade goods. Because I can add the destroyer unit cost together, I can play with 1 planet that has 2 resources for both of them, instead of paying with one planet for each destroyer.

2) Producing with 2 space docks

Can this logic be transferred to the case of 2 space docks?

Example (it might be artificial, but to my knowledge it can happen): The 2 space docks have production values of 2 and 3. I want to produce 4 cruisers for a total of 8 cost. For production capacity reasons, I need to use both space docks. My only readied planets have resources of 3 and 5 and I do not have any trade goods.

If I am allowed to add the cruiser cost together, I exhaust both planets and pay with 8 cost for the 4 cruisers. If I am not allowed to do that, I can pay with my 3 resource planet for 1 cruiser and the first space dock and with the 5 resource planet for 2 cruisers at the second space dock, wasting 2 resources and getting only 3 instead of 4 cruisers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All capacity is added together. Not only are you able to do what you describe, if you were building ground forces you would also be able to place 4 of them on the same planet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, all the production can and might as well must be done with a single combined cost. This is also important for Sarween Tools, which reduces that total cost by 1. You can't split the payment up.

2) Sarween Tools' wording helps us out here again. It can be applied when one or more of your units is providing production and applies to the combined cost. Thus you are indeed creating a combined cost from all the units producing at the same time.

Finally, we have the following rule:

RRG - 58.1 wrote:
• If a player is producing multiple units at a time, he can add the cost of all the units he is producing to create a total cost before he spends any resources.

Note that it simply refers to units produced at the same time, it doesn't matter how many of those units are simultaneously using production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
All capacity is added together. Not only are you able to do what you describe, if you were building ground forces you would also be able to place 4 of them on the same planet

Indeed, you can also add capacity in addition to cost. Here are the rules that support that:

RRG - 59.2-59.3 wrote:
59.2 • If the active player has multiple units in the active system that have the “Production” ability, he can produce a number of units up to the combined total of all of his units’ production values in that system.

59.3 When a player produces ground forces, he must place those unit on planets that contain a unit that used its “Production” ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you to you all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esben Heick
msg tools
Production capacity in a system is added. Otherwise, Arborec would be horrible. Each Arborec ground force has Production 1. So if you have 5 Arborec GF on a planet, you have 5 production capacity. If you have 5 Arborec GF on each planet, you have systemwide capacity 10!

If you upgrade arborec GF tech 2 (letani upgrade) you,ll go to town with 20 production capacity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W G
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esque wrote:
Production capacity in a system is added. Otherwise, Arborec would be horrible. Each Arborec ground force has Production 1. So if you have 5 Arborec GF on a planet, you have 5 production capacity. If you have 5 Arborec GF on each planet, you have systemwide capacity 10!

If you upgrade arborec GF tech 2 (letani upgrade) you,ll go to town with 20 production capacity.

I actually have a follow-up on this:

If I have two Arborec GF in a system and produces 1 ressource worth of Fighters, do I get one (due to the production cap of each GF being one), or do I get two (due to the production cap being added to 2)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
GrumblingGamer wrote:
esque wrote:

I actually have a follow-up on this:

If I have two Arborec GF in a system and produces 1 ressource worth of Fighters, do I get one (due to the production cap of each GF being one), or do I get two (due to the production cap being added to 2)?

You add all production together and then pay for the "total". So in this case, your production limit is 2, so producing 2 GFs = 1 resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Some other overlooked/hard to remember rules:
Each fighter/infantry takes up a production capacity.

You can't use 1 resource to pay for 1 infantry & 1 fighter.

If you have an odd total production capacity, you can use 1 resource to buy 1 infantry or 1 fighter. If you have an odd total fighter capacity, you can still produce 1 fighter.

If you have built all of a unit type, you can produce another by scuttling another one on the board.

If you are at fleet supply, you may produce more non-fighter ships & scuttle back down to fleet supply after producing.

Arborec space dock production capacity cannot be used towards producing additional infantry.

Units in Space that use production can place the units produced in Space (assuming capacity is available) or any friendly planet in the system.

Produced infantry can be placed anywhere infantry can be produced in the system, regardless of that location's infantry production capacity. In other words, in a multiplanet system with Arborec infantry II, with 1 GF & a SD on Planet A and 3 GF on Planet B, Arborec could place 5 GF on Planet A and 3 on Planet B. If it was 0 and 4, all 8 GF would have to go on Planet B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.