BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: I modded Catan a lot! heres a PDF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Catan [+] missing_posts [+] [View All]
Imants Cielens
Australia
flag msg tools
Hey Jörg,

Thanks heaps for the excellent feedback. I am not good at forums and don't know how to find a lot of stuff so thanks for pointing out those other sites for me, its great if you can put links to this thread or i can even start a new thread. Now let me address some of your questions.

For horse hexes, i haven't play tested the idea yet just a concept and i thought three hexes would give bit of a spread for the resource, you could have more or less, just have to work out the optimal amount per game and could put them on any type hex with any amount on D6, i have just made it as it shows so far and will see how it goes when i eventually play it with others.

Volcanoes/Jungles : i made jungles the main hex for getting discovery tokens, so instead of resource such as wood you get a token, Volcanos just act like normal volcanos from the Desert Raiders variant. I'm not sure what you mean about water discovery hexes but if thats a new idea then sure it could be possible, maybe a sunken city you have to dive for?

Great Works: good question, you could play it either way, the way i imagined it would be paying it all at once if you can or just paying bit by bit when you can afford it in no particular order. However having it take a certain amount of turns also would be cool! good idea could be modified.

Ok with soldiers and their stars, you basicaly get he research if you pick up a card with the star AND you get to use the soldier as normal, its like a double bonus once you have the research even if you lose the soldier you keep the knowledge. If you get the one star that is +1 attack and defence and don't share it the only way someone else will get it is if the y get the wildcard star and choose it. Again ideas i've yet to playlets but all are open to reworking if they unbalance the game.

Yes one each road building, year of plenty and monopoly are in the deck monopoly unchanged i guess, making it a pretty powerful card.

That looks like a harbour in the photo but its actually a city, i just stretched the photo so its distorted the shape of the piece, no you can't place a harbour there.

Soldiers are represented by the cards from Development deck, when you get one you can play it on the board as a garrisoned unit, play it as a reserve, play it to remove one desert raider chase off the robber or just keep it hidden as part of your development cards, i would guess you only get the military tech once you reveal the card? thats a tricky point. I guess the idea is you can run out of soldier cards and then its up to the knights to do everything. Im not sure your be able to use them again but its a valid idea.

Research and Development cards : you can use just the number you have in the base game or the number you get with the 5-6 player expansion. Heres the list i made so far :

18 Knights (8 with associated tech markers)
1 Road Building
1 Monopoly
1 Year of Plenty
3 Voodoo
1 Zombie Knight
4 Poison/Antidote
6 x Great Works cards (if less than six players the extras go into the deck)
1 Tower
1 Library
1 Market
1 University
1 Chapel
1 Great Hall

Merchant / Magician : yes if another player without wizardry gets a merchant progress card they can take the merchant. Merchant still acts like merchant, Magician acts like a second merchant

i hope some other players are out there that still like to give these ideas a go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Is that a LEGO octopus on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imants Cielens
Australia
flag msg tools
Yes! 1 lego Octopus acting as the Kraken!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |