A B
msg tools
Hi.

The card reads:

Quote:
The first time you assign 1 or more [attack] or [influence] to a Creature, any one Hero gains 2 [heart]. If you defeat a Creature, also remove 1 [skull] from the Location.

Does the first effect (highlighted) trigger once per turn per creature or once per game per creature? Here's an example:

It's my turn and I have the proficiency 'Care of Magical Creatures'. A new creature A was just revealed. I attack A and the first effect triggers, no problem here. My turn ends and the other players has their turns. It's my turn again and creature A is still on the board. I attack A. Now, does the first effect trigger again (as if it's once per turn per creature) or not (as if it's once per game per creature)?

Someone has already asked this question (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1847780/question-about-care...) but there seems to be some confusion about what the author was asking, so I'm not convinced by the answers. The post also refers to a different post (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24862929#24862929) but that's about a different wording.

Yesterday I played box 1 as if the first effect triggered once per turn per creature and it seemed a bit too powerful, especially in the beginning and with the second effect. But that was just one game and it was box 1.

If it's once per turn per creature then maybe the following alternative wording is better:

Quote:
When you assign 1 or more [attack] or [influence] to a Creature on your turn, any one Hero [...]

Inspired by the proficiency 'Herbology':

Quote:
If a Hero gains 3 or more [heart] on your turn, that Hero draws a card.

But, writing this, I've thought of more ways to interpret the card, and my alternative wording doesn't answer all questions. For example, it could also mean just once per turn (if you attack creature A and B the first effect triggers just once, not twice) and even once per game (though that would mean the first effect triggers only once per game which is a bit stupid, so probably not...).

I really think the card needs to be clarified.

Thank you! It's a great game and we've had a lot of fun playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that it triggers once per turn, period. It seems to make the most sense given the wording and the relative strength of other proficiencies.

It could also mean the first time you attack each creature, regardless of turns, but that would be super annoying to track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
We play that it triggers once per turn, period. It seems to make the most sense given the wording and the relative strength of other proficiencies.

It could also mean the first time you attack each creature, regardless of turns, but that would be super annoying to track.

We played it the same way.

Well, in our first game, we played it wrong, applying the effect each time that player attacked a creature OR villain. That made the card crazy overpowered, although we still almost lost. There are so few creatures that when played as described by chopkins828 it seems like it's going to be underpowered. We'll see. Once per creature per game seems like it would be almost worthless (as well as being ridiculous to track).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

We played it the same way.

Well, in our first game, we played it wrong, applying the effect each time that player attacked a creature OR villain. That made the card crazy overpowered, although we still almost lost. There are so few creatures that when played as described by chopkins828 it seems like it's going to be underpowered. We'll see. Once per creature per game seems like it would be almost worthless (as well as being ridiculous to track).

It gets better as you go. The way setup works, you include the villains/creatures listed on the encounters. Then you include random villains/creatures to bring the stack up to a certain number. So by Box 3 we almost always have at least one creature if not more.

Our preferred two player "dream team" at the moment is Box 3 Ron with Care of Magical Creatures + Game 7 Neville with Herbology. We had maybe 1 stun last game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
I asked Kami Mandell and Andrew Wolf through boardgamegeek.com's messaging system if they can reply to this post and give us a definitive answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kami Mandell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
blubbla wrote:

It's my turn and I have the proficiency 'Care of Magical Creatures'. A new creature A was just revealed. I attack A and the first effect triggers, no problem here. My turn ends and the other players has their turns. It's my turn again and creature A is still on the board. I attack A. Now, does the first effect trigger again (as if it's once per turn per creature) or not (as if it's once per game per creature)?

Hi All,

Kami chiming in here! For the Care of Magical Creatures Proficiency, the first time on your turn that you assign Influence or Attack to a Creature, any one Hero gains 2 Health.

Stated slightly differently, If you assign one Influence to Norbert on your turn you may heal anyone for 2 heart. On your next turn you can assign another Influence to Norbert, and once again heal a player for 2 heart. But if on either of your turns you also assign an attack to the Troll, the Proficiency would not trigger again.

Just remember this Proficiency only works on Creatures and Villain-Creatures.

I hope this helps to answer you question.
Kami
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
Skookyd wrote:
Stated slightly differently, If you assign one Influence to Norbert on your turn you may heal anyone for 2 heart. On your next turn you can assign another Influence to Norbert, and once again heal a player for 2 heart. But if on either of your turns you also assign an attack to the Troll, the Proficiency would not trigger again.

That clears it up! Thank you, much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.