Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a few other NYC Rising Sun backers discussed not having their game yet in the US KS Fulfillment thread a couple of pages back, I suggested those interested let me know if they wanted to get together and play it. As a retired gamer who lives alone in a mancave full of games and other neat stuff, I usually host games here all the time with my own local buddies. My place is centrally located in our area and easy to reach by subway, LIRR, or car.

So far both Phillip Mazzone and Jordan S. have said they'd be in. If they and anyone else will chime in here, I'll eventually PM you when I have my game with contact info and start getting us together. Or you can PM me, and let me know what days and times work best for you. Tell me if you also have pals who want to attend a session, and how many. Plus include your regular email, so I can more easily send to the group. If you don't use GPS, tell me which subway you like and I can send you directions too, since I'm near almost all of them!

If you drive, you may have to pay for parking, unless you're a canny City parker. There is a 'gourmet convenience store' where you can grab lunch right downstairs. Bring your copy of the rules!

I mostly play here on weekends and Wednesdays at noon, but could be free on any day or evening. So I may end up combining interested BGGers here with my regular pals, or just running lots of dates for Rising Sun at your convenience as needed. Hopefully we can get some nice higher player counts for our games.

We'll start out with the core game and see what happens. I expect I'll have my Rising Sun in the next couple of weeks, and let you know when it comes! Another pal is waiting for his two buildings down, so perhaps that increases our odds of having it here soon! I'm getting everything except the big mat, metal coins, and art book. If you live near the City and can get in, like one of my regulars does, of course you can come too.

Hope to hear from you,
'Jon Snow'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louie T
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested! I'm in the BK area and have been looking forward to this game for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand not putting your address down, but you might want to put at least what borough you are in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple What state/city are you from, Casey? Are you interested yourself, or are you just trying to be helpful?

Well, there are four of us so far from the site, which is enough. Come to think of it, it might be fun to try such a diplomacy oriented design where none of us know each other at first, like at a convention game! But I can have local pals join in too, if we don't have enough on a particular day from here.

Right now I'm thinking about a Saturday in the latter half of February for a first play, weather permitting. Others are still invited to join the invitation list. Not everyone is available on any given date, and I'll be offering several going forward!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taka Dimi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jon,

I would also be interested in joining in. I live in Queens, but can travel to Manhattan easily. I don't have set plans yet for any Saturday on the latter half of February, so those are good with me. I am otherwise generally free on weekends.

I have backed the whole package except for the coins and artbook and to date, have unfortunately heard nothing in terms of emails or notifications. I'm guessing my box will no doubt be the last one off the shipment crate.

Pat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
meeple What state/city are you from, Casey? Are you interested yourself, or are you just trying to be helpful?

Well, there are four of us so far from the site, which is enough. Come to think of it, it might be fun to try such a diplomacy oriented design where none of us know each other at first, like at a convention game! But I can have local pals join in too, if we don't have enough on a particular day from here.

Right now I'm thinking about a Saturday in the latter half of February for a first play, weather permitting. Others are still invited to join the invitation list. Not everyone is available on any given date, and I'll be offering several going forward!

Portland, Oregon. I love NYC and would love to join ya, I just remember being really surprised to find out how big Brooklyn was when I took the train from the Upper East Side to Coney Island. Previously I stayed in Clinton Hill, and thought Brooklyn was easy to get around, actually walking across the Brooklyn Bridge from Clinton Hill. Anyway, I could see someone from the Bronx without a car not wanting to travel to Long Island to only game a few hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, the boroughs are large, and not everyone will want to make the effort to travel. Well, we'll work it all out offline. If people give me their emails, I'll send the whole list of BGG handles with borough locations to everyone, and those living close to each other can make their own local arrangements if they wish.

But I think most will want to do a meet and greet with others who care enough about the game to back it!

PS: And Taka/Pat makes five so far! We can go over six and just have more dates made available, so everyone join in who wants to do so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Five of us played a NJ copy yesterday. Base game with stretch goals. We had a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Kapitan
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd be down for some of this action. Weekends are best for me. I'm in midtown a short walk from Penn station. I've got a full order coming... eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And Eddie makes six. I know Renaud too, but we've yet to get together here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been contacted by yet another player by PM. Everyone should PM me with their regular email, so I can send to all at once and more easily contact you all when the time is right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today the first person reporting in New York State (Glen Falls) got his shipping notice! Meanwhile, now 7 other BGGers will be sending me their regular emails by PM, so we can organize more easily.

We'll have more than one session, so feel free to join in. But if you want to play in the second half of February, chime in ASAP!

Charley aka 'Jon Snow'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Congratulations to Eddie, who is now the first of us to actually get his carton. Will you let us play with it too, if no one else gets one for a while?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Kapitan
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
laugh Congratulations to Eddie, who is now the first of us to actually get his carton. Will you let us play with it too, if no one else gets one for a while?

You bet! Just sorted it tonight - no big map yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NYC Reported Rising Sun Recipient #2 just got his shipping notice, and its my neighbor here in Brooklyn Heights! I'll be planning game dates probably for the last two Saturdays and Wednesdays in February. So make sure to PM me with your regular email address if you want to get the invitations! First come first served for player slots on these dates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Kapitan
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
NYC Reported Rising Sun Recipient #2 just got his shipping notice, and its my neighbor here in Brooklyn Heights! I'll be planning game dates probably for the last two Saturdays and Wednesdays in February. So make sure to PM me with your regular email address if you want to get the invitations! First come first served for player slots on these dates.

Always a bridesmaid but never the bride...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luckily, my playing Rising Sun is not dependent on me getting my own copy of the game. Because I've got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9zf9sEbBHQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of which, my neighbor's copy is out for delivery today, and he plans to bring the whole carton over tonight for the end of our Wednesday Game Day! Of course, if this doesn't come off (or even if it does), I've got Friday evening's game to look forward to as well. Its good to have friends, both old and new.

Which makes me feel like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmFUaxZadI8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool Just got my notification from FedEx through Geekfunder that my package shipped today from Alpharetta, GA. Due tomorrow!

meeple We had a great first game of Rising Sun here last night (4 Player). I played Lotus Clan, but the owner won with Koi. What a truly amazing game this is! I've got more plays scheduled for Friday and Sunday.

goo Just a reminder that anyone who wants to sign up for a game here in the second half of the month should PM me with their email, so I can copy them on the invitation that will go out for various dates when my copy arrives!

ninja After my copy arrives, people on my regular email list will receive two posts:

1. Game arrival here.

2. February Game Date Schedule with my contact info and directions. First come, first served!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh GAME RECEIVED!

INVITATIONS AWAY!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Played a second 4 Player with a correspondent from here in Manhattan; I was Dragonfly, and came in second. Our host also provided Pizza, snacks, and even saki!

My own copy arrived, and I organized it into 3 boxes (see my Simple Three Box Storage Solution thread). Playing my third game with my copy here for a 5-6 Player with my regular pals later today.

Three of you have sent me your emails and received the invitations so far. More are welcome!

Upcoming February Game Dates (Here at Noon)

Saturdays: Feb. 17, Feb. 24

Wednesdays: Feb. 21, Feb. 28

Again, PM me with your regular email address for invitations and my contact info. We'll take up to 6 Players by using the Fox Clan, and otherwise use the recommended newbie starts with Kami Temples and Season Cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to announce that our first two games are now a go, although we still have room for more players. If you'd like to join in, just Private Message me with your regular email address, to reserve a spot and get my contact info and directions. All games are at my place at noon.

Sat. Feb. 17: BGG Invitational So far there are three of us; we can take three more.

Wed. Feb. 21: The Old Gang So far there are four of us; we can take two more.

Sat. Feb. 24: Everyone Else There are two of us so far, we can take four more.

Wed. Feb. 28: February Clean Up Just me so far; I'm waiting to hear from you!

Several others who are busy this month say they'll come by in March; I'm looking forward to setting up another schedule for next month. One of my new friends from here is also coming over on another date to play a different game here at my mancave aka The Game Palace, where board games and miniatures abound.

I've played Rising Sun three times so far, all of which happened to be 4 Players. I think the game is great fun, although I haven't won one yet. I'm trying to play a different clan each time, before changing the default newbie settings for the Kami, Season Cards, and expansions. Check out my two useful RS Card Lists in the Files section. Other posts include my Simple Three Box Storage Solution, and various other subjects.

After watching a number of videos, I recomment the 36 minute intro and review by Man vs Meeples. For those who enjoy longer videos, after watching the large group basic game run through back last August by Dice Tower, I am now watching their second one with only 3 Players but implementing the random Kami set up, extra monsters, the Moon Clan with Lucky Gods, and even Kami Unbound. Tom, Sam, and Zee are having lots of fun, and I'm getting a feel for the more advanced version I'll be playing eventually!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool We now have five players for next Saturday, and have decided to throw in all of the additions except for Kami Unbound. These will include different season cards than Archway, random Kami inclusion and Temple Placement, two additional Monsters per season, and one or two of the Dynasty Invasion clans if anyone wants to play one.

Looking forward to it, and to meeting more of you (you know who you are). There are still plenty of open slots for the other dates!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Although most of the posts here are mine, I just want to thank everyone who has bailed in so far. Rising Sun has been my best BGG Organized Play experience so far. Although the game just came out about a couple of weeks ago, I've already met four great new people from here playing it, with two more preparing to come and another two for next month. The date slots are now filling up, so join in while you can for the rest of this month.

Today will be my sixth RS play! But if you can't make it this month, a new schedule will rise again for March, like a Phoenix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now played 8 games of Rising Sun, and tried each clan once. I didn't keep the actual scores, but the following stats show player count and which clan won:

1. 4 PL Koi (Winner)
2. 4 PL Lotus
3. 4 PL Bonsai
4. 5 PL Koi
5. 5 PL Lotus
6. 3 PL Lotus
7. 4 PL Turtle
8. 3 PL Dragonfly

Not yet won but only recently added at about 2 plays each: Fox, Sun, Moon. These expansion clans all seem viable and competitive.

I've met 5 of you from this site so far, and expect to meet two more in March. That month's game date schedule will begin after a 2 week hiatus but contain 6 dates; the most in any month for one game, before I switch some dates to other games in April. The 'new' 5 have been sent my Chas Game Event Horizon, which contains all of the games I've purchased over the last 18 months or so (you can see my full collection here on BGG).

We have yet to do a 6 Player, but hopefully will in March. We also haven't used Kami UnBound, or had both Sun and Moon clan in the same game. Hopefully we'll try these next month.

I have many other board games to play here, and hopefully in April we will also be featuring the brand new Big Trouble In Little China, a 1-6 player adventure co-op game based on the cult John Carpenter film as well as RS. One of you contacts has also played the new Pendragon here.

If you want to join in on Rising Sun dates for March, just PM me with your email, and I'll send you the March schedule when it is ready.

The last game date this month is Wed. Feb. 28 at noon, and all five slots are open, although I expect at least two to be taken soon. If you are working that day, you can join us for a dinner break and third game at 6-7 PM that evening if we are not full by then, or if some people have to leave at 6 PM, as sometimes happens. Our games are taking about 3 hours each now, regardless of player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.