Hide
5 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Advice for first time players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Collins
msg tools
Only played through once, but this is the advice I will be giving people I introduce the game to:

Koi: focus on money. The ability to swing battles without using up much of your resources is huge. Try and get one bushi in as many provinces as possible, then choose which ones you want to win, and happily lose the others. People will have to go hard against you if they want to win the province, further swelling your koffers. Fujin and Hachiman are great Kami for you.

Lotus: you have the most soft power. Don’t let people forget it and extract whatever you can from them. Everyone will want to ally with you - arrange a payment for that honour: coin, promise of Ronin, keeping clear of temples you want, staying away from certain provinces etc. When it’s your turn, talk to the player to your left (often Turtle). What mandate do they want left in the pool (often
Marshall for turtle)? What will they give you/do for you if you don’t take it out of circulation?

Turtle - seems obvious, but Marshall to get more turtles. They are more powerful than you think they are. Negotiate with Lotus to leave it in the pack. Ally if possible. Aiming towards 3VP per stronghold as an autumn season card is a pretty good idea. 3 turtles is good. 4 is better.

Dragonfly: geesh your guys are mobile. Be unpredictable, and take advantage of provinces without many other models in them. You start quite low honour, so consider stealing the oni away from bonsai, especially if they are you ally.

Bonsai: get the most out of your ability. You want to persuade others to train, and you or your ally to Marshall. Lowest honour naturally lends to an Oni strategy, but if Amerterasu is in play, you can easily change that. Make sure you know what autumn cards you are aiming to get and more than any other clan build towards them. If Tsukuyomi is available contest it hotly or negotiate to have it left alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Good stuff--hope you will keep updating it as you play more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Kang
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yak27 wrote:
Bonsai: get the most out of your ability. You want to persuade others to train, and you or your ally to Marshall. Lowest honour naturally lends to an Oni strategy, but if Amerterasu is in play, you can easily change that. Make sure you know what autumn cards you are aiming to get and more than any other clan build towards them.

Just played my first 4p game yesterday as bonsai and not having a productive summer season (train was never chosen) I think set me back pretty far. Still had a great time though. Good thoughts on the other clans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our Dragonfly player focus on getting season cards that allowed her to Summon extra Bushi. If she or her ally played the Recruit mandate, there were gonna be four of her figures flying all over the board. She easily could overwhelm another clan out of nowhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Collins
msg tools
Good call. Hand the least insight in to dragongfly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.