BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a good 4-6 player game, gameplay is #1 priority rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonno
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
To put it simply, we got gloomhaven, and it completely blew us away, and filled our 2 player needs forever. I now need a decent 4-6 player game for our regular social group, that can have medium complexity, but not too hard to learn.

Already have pandemic and a few other games. We enjoyed junkart immensely. Takenoko is ok for a few games, then not very good. Cards against humanity is cool at first, then gets stale really quickly.

I was thinking between these, but would be grateful for more suggestions:

Cthulhu wars: I love the asymmetrical gameplay, and wanted this forever, plus I love the minis. However, it costs $200, and I have an airbrush, so not that into minis, and do mostly scale models these days

Resistance Avalon: Seems fun with more players, but my group does fluctuate from 4-6 players, and 4 will be pretty boring

Captain Sonar: Very unique gameplay, but feels stressful, and limited playability before it gets stale

Secret hitler: Looks amazing for 10+ players, and completely unplayable for 4

Werewolf games (one night ultimate, etc): Resistance avalon seems the superior game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lasse Petersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Jonno,

Here are some suggestions. Games that are a hit in our group.

Social games (party games)
Libertalia
Codenames
Spyfall
Las Vegas

Strategy games (euroes)
Roll for the Galaxy
Hansa Teutonica
A Game of Thrones

Thematic games (ameritrash)
Blood Bowl Team Manager
Arkham Horror

Have fun gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you need 2 games. One for 4-5 and one for 5-8. If your interested in something Cthulhu wars but want to spend less I might recommend something like blood rage. Totally different games but it’s a great area control that you can play over and over without getting stale. For more players captain sonar is great but your right, it’s very stressful and not for everyone. I highly recommend secret hitler. Resistance is good but I found after a bunch of plays we were done with it. I’m interested to see what others recommend here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend 7 Wonders. It scales nicely up to seven players. It is a fun and strategic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kburn wrote:
Resistance Avalon: Seems fun with more players, but my group does fluctuate from 4-6 players, and 4 will be pretty boring

It doesn't officially support 4. There are unofficial variants for 4p but I've never tried them and very much doubt I ever would.

I like it with 5+, it's probably best with 7 but still good with 5-6. At higher player counts it can get quite chaotic. The Resistance has more expansion modules available but Avalon has more stuff in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot
Citadels
Dark Moon
Battlestar Gallactica: The Board Game
Saboteur
Wizard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza 2-7p trading game. I've played it 3-7p and would happily play it at any of those player counts.

Citadels 2-8p and works well with 4-6p. I think the newer version in the large box is better than the classic edition or the previous editions as there is more variety in the characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muel Wisden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Docur Lenud Dingleberry at yoor servis!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this Geeklist .

It has recommended player counts for different games. I have used it to find games that would work well for my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) -- Plays 2-6, better with 4 or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Carette
Canada
Delta
British Columbia (Canada)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower
Ethnos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery + Spartacus: The Serpents and the Wolf Expansion Set (expansion needed to increase player count to 6)

This is a pretty social game - lots of negotiating and some backstabbing. It might look intimidating, but the game play is pretty straightforward. The length of the game can be varied by adjusting your starting influence. It does have a 17+ rating, but if you've played CAH, this should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt Express: The fun really starts with 4 and up.
Alhambra for something more quiet.
Second Bohnanza: Constant interaction due to the trading of the cards. 4 to 6 is the sweet spot.
For something more thematic: Betrayal at House on the Hill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can easily recommend Cthulhu Wars, it is a great blend of simplicity and depth in my eyes. The basic rules are dead simple, but its the asymmetrical factions that bring the game to life. Everybody is trying to reach the same goal in their own filthy, underhanded way.

One game I can also recommend (with expansions) is Sons of Anarchy. Base game plays 3-4, but can with both expansions plays 6. The base game is rather cheap and is highly underrated. It's a great fusion of Euro-style worker placement and social/trading games. If you're group loves shifting alliances and backstabbing, it quickly becomes something akin to Game of Thrones with alliances changing and breaking every turn or two. I have played games where players spent more time secretly texting each other to make deals behind each other backs than actually moving peices. It was awesome fun watching all the manipulation and treachery unfold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had a run through of Viticulture Essential Edition with Tuscany EE expansion tonight as a four player. It's awesome! Also played at six and still good fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.