Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across this game as I was looking into omega 7 protocol. I really like all of the hero options in this game and I'm already looking at expansions (which is funny because I don't even have this game).


Is this fun? Does one player always have to be overloard? If so I kind of wish there was a way for everybody to be a hero and play against the game. I feel like everybody in my game would prefer to be a hero.

What are some things I should be aware of if I get this game? Is there spells in this game, or is magic more generic rather than specific? Can the base box fit expansions inside? Thank you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent is a wonderful dungeon crawler with lots of content.
Typically one person plays the overlord and 1 to 4 players play the heroes. However, they have a free app which replaces the overlord and allows all players to play just the heroes or you can even solo it. It's a mature game and that works in your benefit because all the bugs and kinks have been worked out and there is a ton of stuff for it. However, they are getting harder and harder to get. So if you enjoy the game, I would suggest you pursue what you want to complete your set.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Magnus
United States
Granville
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm just a soldier. I can't be a leader.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Level 7 Omega Protocol is great, but can be hard to find if you don't want to pay a premium. You may be able to find a used copy for less on the market if you are lucky.

Descent is a great game. It is a 1 v. all, but there are a number of options for cooperative play. The official option is the Road to Legend app which is an awesome way to play. No Overlord, all players are heroes, you play against the game.

Magic is handled by either hero abilities, class abilities, or equipment abilities. You learn new class abilities, or gain equipment with new abilities, many of which are spell-like. There are no magic points, but many abilities have a fatigue cost, which operates in a similar way.

IMHO Descent is still the best crawl/campaign-based light RPG tactical skirmish game. Though there are a lot of crawlers available at this point. There are so many expansions now, you can get so much variety and play time out of it, that if it gets to the table regularly the value is great.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Mangekyo wrote:

Is this fun?

Heck yes
But assume everyone on a fan forum will tell you that.

Mangekyo wrote:

Does one player always have to be overloard? If so I kind of wish there was a way for everybody to be a hero and play against the game. I feel like everybody in my game would prefer to be a hero.

There is. There is a free official app that allows you to play as heroes against an AI.

It's a little bit different from the regular game, but no worries, it's really easy to learn. I've only played with the app and love it.


Mangekyo wrote:

What are some things I should be aware of if I get this game? Is there spells in this game, or is magic more generic rather than specific?

Basically every class has "abilities". For wizard class, it's abilities that let them do things via magic, like summon minions, blast enemies etc

Fighter have abilities that let them do mulitipule attacks or jump around.

Each class gives you different stuff.

Mangekyo wrote:

Can the base box fit expansions inside? Thank you

I only own 1 expansion and haven't tried to fit everything in. It might if I toss the insert.

There's a lot of minis and map tiles that come along with it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I really love Descent and particularly the option to play full co-op with the app. Two things that set it apart from other dungeon crawlers, though, if that matters:

1) The leveling is far more limited. You can increase your skills, but after a campaign you are more or less maxed out. I think that is more than enough, but having also played games like Shadows of Brimstone where you can level up for years with a broader range of skills and equipment ... it all depends on what you are looking for.

2) I think the challenges, particularly in the full co-op mode are more puzzl-y than in some other competitors. I happen to really like this, and I feel that the scenarios are quite interesting. If you mostly want to just fight, then some of these may feel too much like racing. If you think you'll enjoy having to plan each new map tile to really optimize across players, then I think Descent is perfect. It has some purely fighting scenarios, and isn't a full-on puzzle, but I really appreciate that it is more nuanced than many of the competitors (which I also like because sometimes you just want to pick the biggest monster, take it down, and then move to the next).

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Mangekyo wrote:
Is this fun?


Yes, it is. In case of base game there is a lot of fun in adapting to the ever changing board state.

In many cases Descent looks like a puzzles, you want to do one thing but it will be better to do something else. E.g. berserker wants to charge this big dragon but the correct action is to stun it and move forward.
Also there is (almost) no hidden information. Both heroes and overload know every aspect of the scenario and what will happen if someone opens the door etc.
This may raise some frustration in your group but my group still loves
that

Mangekyo wrote:
Does one player always have to be overloard?

No, as other already mentioned there is free official application that takes role of the overload.
In this case Descent transforms to more pure dungeon crawler where you smash doors to see what waits in next room. There are hoards of monsters that you (in most cases) need to slay before achieving your objective.

Mangekyo wrote:
Can the base box fit expansions inside?

Short answer - no.
There is so much content that base box can barely fit just map tiles
You can google for "descent storage solution" to see how much content there is and how people are handling it.
(or just click this link https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1759778/my-descent-storage-...)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obviously Derek
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent is a great game, I have been playing it a lot and only have a few expansions, but the fun is never ending. One of the best made Dungeon Crawls you can get today. There are others, and some are really good, but if I had to pick one and stick with it, then I'd pick Descent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
one of the best games of this type out there|!..but I would also take a look at Dungeon Saga.another top game and some good expansions for it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obviously Derek
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
one of the best games of this type out there|!..but I would also take a look at Dungeon Saga.another top game and some good expansions for it


I haven't tried this, but will agree because I have watched a lot of gameplay videos and it looks pretty solid. Although there are quite a few people complaining the products quality control isn't very good and many people get it missing minis, cards, etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is your first dungeon crawl, I would actually recommend one of the D&D games, like Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game. The rules are much more "streamlined" but still give a decent dungeon crawl experience. Once you're used a "basic" dungeon crawl, come to Descent to experience your "Advanced" dungeon crawl and you'll enjoy it a lot more. For a first-time, I would fear it might feel too rules heavy, too many bits, too many things to remember, etc...

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
If this is your first dungeon crawl, I would actually recommend one of the D&D games, like Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game. The rules are much more "streamlined" but still give a decent dungeon crawl experience. Once you're used a "basic" dungeon crawl, come to Descent to experience your "Advanced" dungeon crawl and you'll enjoy it a lot more. For a first-time, I would fear it might feel too rules heavy, too many bits, too many things to remember, etc...

-shnar
i would go for the first D&D system board game "Castle Ravenloft".probably the best intro to d&d boardgames out there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I'm gonna pick up any D&D games (thanks for the help though I do appreciate it!) it's just not my thing I guess.


Do you guys know of anymore games like Omega Protocol (something with a tactical esque theme?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Mangekyo wrote:
I don't think I'm gonna pick up any D&D games (thanks for the help though I do appreciate it!) it's just not my thing I guess.

Can't blame you. I only played Temple and it was pretty bad. Game is super repetitive and practically works on auto pilot.

Mangekyo wrote:

Do you guys know of anymore games like Omega Protocol (something with a tactical esque theme?)

Depends on what you're looking for. You might want to look into Claustrophobia
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Neff

Alaska
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mangekyo wrote:
I came across this game as I was looking into omega 7 protocol. I really like all of the hero options in this game and I'm already looking at expansions (which is funny because I don't even have this game).


Is this fun? Does one player always have to be overloard? If so I kind of wish there was a way for everybody to be a hero and play against the game. I feel like everybody in my game would prefer to be a hero.

What are some things I should be aware of if I get this game? Is there spells in this game, or is magic more generic rather than specific? Can the base box fit expansions inside? Thank you


Dungeon crawl apparently means many things to different people. To me, Descent is less a dungeon crawl and more a series of tactical battles (and I love it). Imperial Assault is the same. Both are lighter than Gloomhaven, that's even more of a tactical game.

The DnD Adventure games are designed to throw tons of monsters at you in an effort to prevent you from accomplishing goals. The rules are supposed to have improved, but when I played Ashardalon and Ravenloft, the rules were loose and did not cover everything. I hope they have been fleshed out.That said, it feels more "dungeon-y".

Hope you have fun!

In all, I'd say Descent in middle of the road for beef and
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's awesome. yes, it's a lot of fun. And yes, it's a great place to start. It's the first Dungeon Crawl my Mother and Sister have ever played and they picked it up quite quickly.

The game is better with the Road to Legend app. It's just more fun being fully co-op. It also allows a more experienced player to help anyone new to the game. Without the app, the most experienced guy ends up being the Overlord.

It's a great game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.