Hide
6 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game, Scenario #1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Connell
msg tools
Our first game was something special in how it played out. It all started with our road event which gave us the option to kill a man or talk some sense into him. Our party of 4 was split, so we put his life in the hands of a coin flip. He was spared, however we were cursed because of it. We thought little of this event and thought to our selves 'how bad could a curse really be?' Boy was I wrong.

We started off in terrible fashion. Being rookies, we were playing sub-optimally and were wasting cards left and right. We barely made it through the first room and things seemed pretty bleak. Our Brute was at 1HP and we needed him to open the door, but luckily our Mind Thief was able to go invisible and block the doorway for us, giving us a much needed healing session. The second corridor was little work for us as we started popping off critical hits and +2 attacks.

We barely made it to the last room, but someone had the genius idea of pulling the living bones into the traps since none of us would be able to get past the traps without taking damage. Luck was definitely on our side in the final room since the Archers had two turns in a row with no movement (couldn't even shoot the doorway yet) and the bones had two turns in a row with nothing but heals/shielding. By this point, we had lost our Mind Thief and our Tinkerer was essentially exhausted.

With only a few rounds to go, our Spellweaver pulled off a heroic, final stand, 3 target Fire Orbs attack, hitting one archer for 4 damage (killing it), hitting another archer with a crit for 6 damage (killing it), and missing the last target. By now, it was only our Brute vs a single Archer with 2 HP. The Brute had 4 cards left and 4 HP, a crit from the archer and he was done. He moves into range, lines up his attack and in poetic fashion, he pulls his curse. The archer lands a weak 1 damage attack. It then came down to the final attack and our Brute managed to pull it off and land a successful hit on the final Archer.

If it hadn't taken us 5 hours to get through the first game, we almost certainly would have set up the next scenario instantly. That was easily the greatest gaming moment of my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gratz on the win!

Just a note...I don't think you do a road event before the first scenario.

We had our first go at the game yesterday...8 hours and 3 scenario wins later we all agreed it was the best gaming experience we've had in many years. We won the last scenario on the final card play - I had the brute and had to take out the last to living corpses...easily got the first one but needed a +1 or better on the last one...got the +1...high fives all around :).

Awesome game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Boivie
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was my understanding that you do a road event whenever you leave Gloomhaven for a scenario so that part was done correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Davitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's the kind of thing that really lets it sink in how awesome this game is. I play with my husband and we've had many scenarios where it comes down to the last hand before barely pulling out a victory. Tense, but really rewarding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Davitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ron42na wrote:
Just a note...I don't think you do a road event before the first scenario.

The first page of the scenario book (before the first scenario) states that you are required to do a road event before the first scenario. City events are optional (but quite often have a favorable result, so why not take them?). Road cards must be completed unless either you're going from one location to another that it's linked to, or if you're doing a scenario linked to Gloomhaven itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolski laWolski
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
That sounds exciting! On our first game, we made some serious mistakes that brought what we thought was going to be an awesome gaming experience to a more "knot in the stomach, why did I pay so much for this game feeling". We started out with me doing the Scenario Level conversion wrong, so we started at SL 2. We also missed that you could burn a card to negate damage. I was the Spellweaver and after my first turn I was killed. The Cragheart made it to the first door with no movement left and took all the hits from that room and died. The Scoundrel was left in the first room and couldn't handle the rest of the Guards we left alive and was killed. Second game: Cragheart was killed right away with the Guards having a lower initiative and him being the closer target. Dead before first turn! Scoundrel couldn't pull anything off and was killed soon after. I lasted a little longer, but ran out of cards before getting to the first door. We were thinking, "What the hell? We have to be doing something wrong!" Well, we figured it out and two days later the Scoundrel and I ran through a couple of random dungeons and did remarkably better (we made the third room once!), but still haven't finished a scenario yet. Frustrating, but really intriguing and fun! I'm pretty confident I have the ability to play this game the right way now, but now I have to find the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.