Hide
13 Posts

Nova Aetas» Forums » General

Subject: Is the game playable now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabor Tornai
msg tools
Honestly, this is the game I was waiting for the most among the many board games I backed on Kickstarter, but it was such a huge disappointment because of the horrendous rulebook. I don't understand, why an Italian company didn't hire someone who's mother language is English and knows Italian really well instead of doing it the opposite way. Many of us around the globe are not native English speakers and learning to play games by reading English rulebooks is already some kind of challenge to deal with, but after reading the first 15 pages of this rulebook I decided not to play the game at all.

My question is, is the updated rulebook good enough to learn the game, or I need to browse the forums and look for specific rules for hours before I can find any amount of enjoyment playing the game?

Again, shame on the company for this terrible, terrible rulebook. I've never read anything bad as this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly it has been playable since day one. The rulebook was a pain but wasn't unusable. But the community that sprung up around the game has been fantastic! And Luca constantly chimed in to make sure everything was understood.

I say go play the first mission that helps teach the basics of the game. Once you get through that you will have a good understanding of how it plays. It is worth the little bit of effort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Bernardini
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
gabrielthorn wrote:
Honestly, this is the game I was waiting for the most among the many board games I backed on Kickstarter, but it was such a huge disappointment because of the horrendous rulebook. I don't understand, why an Italian company didn't hire someone who's mother language is English and knows Italian really well instead of doing it the opposite way. Many of us around the globe are not native English speakers and learning to play games by reading English rulebooks is already some kind of challenge to deal with, but after reading the first 15 pages of this rulebook I decided not to play the game at all.

My question is, is the updated rulebook good enough to learn the game, or I need to browse the forums and look for specific rules for hours before I can find any amount of enjoyment playing the game?

Again, shame on the company for this terrible, terrible rulebook. I've never read anything bad as this one.

Hi Gabriel!
The rulebook now is more lovable, not perfect but moooooore better than the first version, and you can give it a try, if you have any doubt or question, I and the rest of the players are here to help .

Let me know what you think about the game .

Luca LMS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luca is correct, the new rule book is much better. A lot of that improvement the is the direct result of community input, which says good things about the future prospects for the game. It seems to have stopped changing now, so it’s probably a good time to print it out.

That said, there are also significant errata which must be addressed. This is what stopped me from moving forward. I didn’t want to start marking up my cards and guides to catch them all. I’m still waiting (for a very long time I’m afraid) for the corrections in the promised Wave 2. Once that arrives, I intend to plunge in. Until then I have 3-4 other Dungeon Crawl style games that we’re better play tested to keep me busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Great game and company that has listened to the community. It has advanced the product + overall improved it.
Must buy for anyone who loves dungeon crawler or story based miedevil story based games with depth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nop. they promised second wave at march, but who knows? wait just a little longer for the second wave to get all the corrected stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are multiple campaigns involved and they are semi-replayable. Scenarios themselves don’t have any hidden information but the first time you play one will be the first time you have to flex your brain to figure out the optimal strategy.

Playing the starting campaign now has the benefit that you can replay it in the future with different characters. Currently, with Wave 1 (and having the 1st expansion) I’ve only got 5 heroes so I can only sub out 1 character.

In the future, there will be many more heroes, so replaying the base campaign with a totally new set is very appealing.

So I would suggest trying it out now. Download the new books. Download the errataed cards and reference as needed. It was not too hard to figure out, but there were plenty of little bits of confusion during the huge FAQ process. The thing to understand is that most of the game was very understandable. There were just plenty of translation issues where many of us wanted to be certain we understood the situation.

Like for example one section says that you cannot have two of the same type of token on your character and then a card allowing you to put a Strength 1 and a Strength 2 token. Then clarification that these do count as two different types of tokens, despite sharing a name. But the thing to consider here is that the card itself didn’t steer you in the wrong direction. It just made you scratch your head.

I would say that 80% of the confusions I had with the game, my first instinct on the correct answer was the right one.

So I would charge headlong into the game and get a feel for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Tornai
msg tools
Thank you guys for your comments. I think I'll give it an other try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i like the company and i am all in on sine tempore.

but i had problems with the first rulebook.
so i am waiting fir wave 2 till i will play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, learning the game initially without any rules revisions at that point in time was an experience!

It seemed like overnight this forum became my go to resource to help learn the game. As a result of that though, I got to converse with some truly wonderful people. I was amazed and still am at how active Luca was on this forum, to provide insight and help everyone fill in the blanks.

Despite the obstacles/roadblocks I hit along the way, I can honestly say it was worth the effort to soldier through the rulebook and many threads on this forum.

It's a testament to the game that even having to go through all of that just to play it didn't turn me off from playing it. I wanted to play it. I did. Everything eventually came together and every second of trouble was completely worth it! An entire world on my tabletop opened up!

I am glad to see that Ludus Magnus Studios have made and are still making every effort possible to strengthen the quality of this game for the people.

Any company can make a mistake. However, it takes a truly special company to not only admit their weaknesses and short comings openly (which takes an extreme amount of courage), but also to go above and beyond to try and correct them.

I've grown to love LMS this past year. That love is well deserved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
industrialchild wrote:
Yep, learning the game initially without any rules revisions at that point in time was an experience!

It seemed like overnight this forum became my go to resource to help learn the game. As a result of that though, I got to converse with some truly wonderful people. I was amazed and still am at how active Luca was on this forum, to provide insight and help everyone fill in the blanks.

Despite the obstacles/roadblocks I hit along the way, I can honestly say it was worth the effort to soldier through the rulebook and many threads on this forum.

It's a testament to the game that even having to go through all of that just to play it didn't turn me off from playing it. I wanted to play it. I did. Everything eventually came together and every second of trouble was completely worth it! An entire world on my tabletop opened up!

I am glad to see that Ludus Magnus Studios have made and are still making every effort possible to strengthen the quality of this game for the people.

Any company can make a mistake. However, it takes a truly special company to not only admit their weaknesses and short comings openly (which takes an extreme amount of courage), but also to go above and beyond to try and correct them.

second and third that!! great company
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:

100% support everything said here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
MajorPWNage wrote:
industrialchild wrote:

100% support everything said here

Double thumbs up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.