Subject: Warped guns on the character minis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan E.
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I have a lot of bent guns on the Scythe character minis that I'd like to try to straighten, but I am an absolute n00b at this. (I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere—sorry if I'm repeating a question.)

How does one go about the hot/cold method of reforming plastic? Are the guns some of the characters are holding too thin to do this? I'm afraid I'm going to just melt them or something.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a good video on how to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MightyBlend wrote:
Hi all,

I have a lot of bent guns on the Scythe character minis that I'd like to try to straighten, but I am an absolute n00b at this. (I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere—sorry if I'm repeating a question.)

How does one go about the hot/cold method of reforming plastic? Are the guns some of the characters are holding too thin to do this? I'm afraid I'm going to just melt them or something.

Thanks in advance.

As long as you don't use direct fire, you shouldn't melt them. The thinner the plastic, the better this usually works. Sometimes they will go back to their original position on their own while the thicker parts might take more manipulating even after the hot/cold treatment.

I always heat the water until it just starts to boil. Then remove it from the heat completely. Drop the figures in (I usually do a batch at a time of 6-12), so by the time the last one is dropped in, the first one has had enough time. If you need to form them, just keep the cold water running on your faucet and hold them under until the stiffen again, then go to the next figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a scary procedure if you've never done it before with your precious miniatures. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dboyee wrote:
This sounds like a scary procedure if you've never done it before with your precious miniatures. gulp

It's not. But if you have some you don't care as much about to test it out on, do that first.

The best this method ever worked on was Chaos in the Old World. They had cultist figures with really thin staff that had a large wheel on top. Almost every one was bent over. Straightening by hand, you would pretty much break them off. But dropping them in hot water released the internal stresses and it went right to the proper shape without much more fiddling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboyee wrote:

Maybe.

Keep in mind if the OP absolutely botches this, Stonemeir games does sell the mini separate from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
Maybe.

Keep in mind if the OP absolutely botches this, Stonemeir games does sell the mini separate from the game.

"Please, put your minis in the microwave on high for ten minutes!" - Jamey S.

(just joking Jamey, please don't get madwhistle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lund

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MightyBlend wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

I guess to preface, if the situation is bad enough I think Stonemaier games or the place you bought your copy from could help you get replacements. I don't want to speak for Jamey but they(Stonemaier Games) seem to be absolutely superb when it comes to quality control/customer service issues like this. It's worth emailing stonemaier and your game retailer about this.

Otherwise the boiling water method should prove pretty successful I would imagine. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MightyBlend wrote:
Are the guns some of the characters are holding too thin to do this? I'm afraid I'm going to just melt them or something.
You won't damage your miniatures by dropping them in hot water. Here's what I do....and I did this to straighten my Scythe guns. I get one bowl and put ice water in it. I get another bowl and nuke it in the microwave for like 5 minutes....until it's ready to boil....perhaps it does boil.

1) Remove the hot bowl from the microwave (be careful!)
2) drop the mini into the super hot water
3) wait a few seconds
4) pick it out of the hot water (probably want some tweezers for this
5) take a look to make sure it's the shape you want.
6) if necessary, physically bend the figure to where you want it.
7) submerge in the ice water.
8) don't forget to paint them!!

Here's the result. Notice that the guns are not completely straight, but they are better than they were.....if I were doing it again, I would probably physically hold the gun straight (2 pair of tweezers) when I when I submerged in the cold water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked for advice on this for a Mansions of Madness miniature, and someone suggested using a hairdryer, which worked really well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.