Popular Tags: [View All]
Francesco Pessina
Italy
Vimercate
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Searched other topic and the faq but I still have a doubt...
The new target to be added is:
-For melee attack (i.e. flametrower) the new target have to be adjacent to the caster
-For ranged attack (i.e. inkbomb) the new target have to be in the range written on the card, you cannot use the attack template to extend it.

But for both of them I never read something about if the new target have to be adjacent to the original shape, that at least thematically make sense for me...
For example if for the flametrower I target 2 monster just in front of me, with the +1 target can I target another one just behind me? (Still in melee, but not adjacent to the flametrower template)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Your example would work. +1 Target doesn't say anything about the orientation of the new target with respect to the original target(s). Just the range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Pessina
Italy
Vimercate
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But this would also mean that for an ink bomb or a net I can just target a group of enemies 3 hexes ahead of me, and 1 Enemy 3 hexes behind me... Seems really strange thematically!
However this was also what I get reading rules/forum and faq...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Prometeo wrote:
But this would also mean that for an ink bomb or a net I can just target a group of enemies 3 hexes ahead of me, and 1 Enemy 3 hexes behind me...

True.
Prometeo wrote:
Seems really strange thematically!

Also true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Prometeo wrote:
But this would also mean that for an ink bomb or a net I can just target a group of enemies 3 hexes ahead of me, and 1 Enemy 3 hexes behind me...

True.
Prometeo wrote:
Seems really strange thematically!

Also true.

Add target gives you an additional, separate attack, not associated/part of/attached to the original one. So it isn't part of the original pattern in the case of an AoE. And the additional attack is a single target ability without an AoE pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Korda
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Prometeo wrote:
But this would also mean that for an ink bomb or a net I can just target a group of enemies 3 hexes ahead of me, and 1 Enemy 3 hexes behind me... Seems really strange thematically!

This would be the case if you could add a target to Ink Bomb or Net Shooter. But you can't do any expansion on Ink Bomb, and there is only the specific "widening of the AoE" option with Net Shooter.
Neither have the "target X" option, and therefore can not accept the +1 target enhancement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
adding a target doesn't really inherently make thematic sense with any attack, really. It is just a game mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Korda
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Sticking with the Tinkerer cards, Reviving Shock for example has a "target 2" portion of the ability with an enhancement dot next to it, so it can be enhanced with a +1 to make it a "target 3" for 100g (assuming it is the first enhancement on this ability)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
evildisc420 wrote:
Prometeo wrote:

This would be the case if you could add a target to Ink Bomb or Net Shooter. But you can't do any expansion on Ink Bomb, and there is only the specific "widening of the AoE" option with Net Shooter.
Neither have the "target X" option, and therefore can not accept the +1 target enhancement.

I think this question assumes the Tinkerer gets an add target ability from somewhere other than enhancement. I don't know of any specific cards that do that, but I haven't seen all the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I think this question assumes the Tinkerer gets an add target ability from somewhere other than enhancement. I don't know of any specific cards that do that, but I haven't seen all the cards.

A lone Tinkerer can't do this, but Three Spears can get Add Target on their AOE attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And CragHeart can use Backup Ammunition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyles Breecher
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:

The Tinkerer has an attack modifier card which adds a target.

As for the original question, the poster is correct. Looking strictly at mechanics, adding a target doesn't always makes much thematic sense for ranged abilities. So when this is the case, I'd say to use your imagination: a thrown ink bomb somehow created an after effect which hit an enemy all across the room.

Some add target abilities can be thematic. For Cragheart, they have an add target ability called "Backup Ammunition." Which makes sense--the Cragheart is just doing the attack twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Korda
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
nbreecher wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

The Tinkerer has an attack modifier card which adds a target.

As for the original question, the poster is correct. Looking strictly at mechanics, adding a target doesn't always makes much thematic sense for ranged abilities. So when this is the case, I'd say to use your imagination: a thrown ink bomb somehow created an after effect which hit an enemy all across the room.

Some add target abilities can be thematic. For Cragheart, they have an add target ability called "Backup Ammunition." Which makes sense--the Cragheart is just doing the attack twice.

Ahhhh!
That makes sense. I assumed it was with Enhancement. My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Pessina
Italy
Vimercate
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everybody!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
adding a target doesn't really inherently make thematic sense with any attack, really. It is just a game mechanic.
WHAT!!!? Have you never met Legolas? Don't think of it as adding a target to an Attack, but improving the Ability so that you have the skill to Target more opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.