Darkest Night (Second edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Expansions question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
A few yrs ago I found out about existence of DN. After failing to obtain a copy, I found out about some expansions, mentioned here
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/128445/darkest-night-fir...

The Small Hours
From Distant Lands
In Tales of Old
From the Abyss
On Shifting Winds
With an Inner Light

Several of the above sounded uber cool, but then I found out about DN2, which VPG promised would contain all the expansions.
I think you can guess my question:

So I got this DN2 big box (4kgs) sitting in my house. Opening the Map Subdecks, I find the following:
Simplicity
Overrun
Hunted
Entropy
Spiritual Warfare
Everything

Question:
I was especially looking for Inner Light, but can anyone please tell me how the new names are mapped to the old?
If there is no such mapping, can anyone please give some pointers as how one can construct Inner Light expansion from the DN2 components?

Thanks in advance and happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laya Gyasz
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These aren't related to the expansions. It's a new feature for the second edition where all the blights are sorted into "themes". This allows you to, for example, play a game where you deal only with monster blights by using all the map cards with the yellow circle colored.

I believe the With an Inner Light expansion came with the Crusader, Paragon, Shaman and Monk heroes, and the quest cards. Someone else can probably give more detail as I don't actually own the expansion, but if you're trying to reconstruct the base game plus that expansions I would by removing the mysteries and darkness decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With an Inner Light did not add any new blights, so if you wanted to recreate the experience of playing first edition with just that expansion, you should use the "classic" (first edition basegame) map set.

For the two first-edition expansions that added blights, you actually can't use the exact same set of blights in second edition (I tried to slice the new map deck another two ways, but it just wasn't happening). You can play with all the expansion blights ("everything") or base game only ("classic"), but you can't use the exact blights from just one of the first edition expansions.

For a thorough list of what was added in each expansion, you can take a look at the first edition rulebooks (or, if you backed the Kickstarter, the designer commentary), but briefly:

Base Game has the "classic" blight and item set, and 9 heroes: Knight, Prince, Rogue, Priest, Wizard, Scholar, Seer, Druid, and Acolyte

With an Inner Light introduced quests, charms, and 4 heroes: Crusader, Monk, Shaman, and Paragon.

On Shifting Winds added new blights, soothing lyre, inspiration, and 4 heroes: Ranger, Scout, Wayfarer, and Wind Dancer

From the Abyss introduced darkness cards and 4 heroes: Valkyrie, Exorcist, Mesmer, and Channeler

In Tales of Old introduced mystery cards, new blights, cursed ashes, skull token, and 4 heroes: Bard, Alchemist, Conjurer, and Tamer

From Distant Lands collected the 4 promo heroes: Nymph, Enchanter, Mercenary, and Tinker

The Small Hours fills in the second edition content: sparks, 3 new power cards per hero, a bunch more quests, darkness cards, and mysteries

Most of those expansions also added some new event cards and artifact cards.

Separating everything out is probably not worth it, but if you want, there are variant rules you can use to remove the extra mechanics (quests, mysteries, darkness cards) or to use only a portion of the blights (map subdecks). And, of course, you only use a few heroes at a time anyway.

But the comments I've seen from players on BGG have consistently said that they like the game better with the new mechanics, so the second edition includes them by default.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.