Popular Tags: [View All]
Yishmeray Yehudah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello BBG'ers!

Summary (please see below for the original question]

Here is what you BGG folk have kindly taken the time to recommend. Thank you so much. I've tried sorting in order so you don't have to look TOO far to avoid duplication. I am so grateful to you all who have been helping!

(have him paint my miniatures!) [Derry Salewski]
A Fake Artist Goes to New York [Jakub Lucký]
Bärenpark [Village Idiot]
Between Two Cities [John M]
Break the Safe [Tom Lopresti]
Can't Stop [Jeff Johnson]
Carcassonnes (My First; Amazonas; Over Hill and Dale) [Tom Lopresti; Robin Banks]
Castle Panic [Tom Lopresti]
Castles of Mad King Ludwig [Seth Ascher]
Catacombs (3rd ed) {dex game} [Seth Ascher]
Codenames series ['Bernard Wingrave'; Jakub Lucký]
Coloretto [Jeff Johnson]
Co-Mix [Jakub Lucký]
Concept [Mike Haverty]
Cottage Garden [Village Idiot]
Diamant [Jeff Johnson]
Dimension [MeepleofaMan]
Dixit ['Bernard Wingrave'; Jakub Lucký; Philip Kitching; Fire_Forever; Sophie Mueller]
Dreams [river tam]
Flick 'em Up! [Fire_Forever]
Flick 'em Up! {dex game} [Seth Ascher]
For Sale [Jeff Johnson]
Gipf Project [MeepleofaMan]
Hanabi [Jakub Lucký]
Ice Cool [Fire_Forever]
Indian Summer [Fire_Forever]
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain To King [Village Idiot]
Jamaica [Robin Banks]
Junk Art [L B; Fire_Forever]
Kaleidos [Romaric B]
King of Tokyo [Jeff Johnson]
Kingdom Builder [John M]
Kingdomino [Fire_Forever]
Labyrinth [Tom Lopresti]
Love Letter [Jeff Johnson]
Maharani [Village Idiot]
Mexican Train [Tom Lopresti]
Mondo [Tom Lopresti]
Mysterium [Jakub Lucký; Philip Kitching; Jamie Kessinger]
NMBR 9 [Fire_Forever]
No Stress Chess [MeepleofaMan]
Onitama [MeepleofaMan]
Pandemic [Jeff Johnson]
Patchwork [L B]
Pictomania [Seth Ascher]
Pitch Car {dex game} [Seth Ascher]
Q-Bitz [Tom Lopresti]
Rory's Story Cubes ['Bernard Wingrave']
Sagrade [L B]
Sanssouci [Village Idiot]
Sheriff of Nottingham [Jakub Lucký]
Splendor [Jeff Johnson]
Sushi Go! [Jeff Johnson]
Ticket to Ride [Jeff Johnson]
Untold: Adventures Await ['Bernard Wingrave']
Wise and Otherwise [Who Am I?]
Zendo [Marina SC; Village Idiot; Tom Lopresti]
Zooloretto (or Jr.) [Tom Lopresti]

The Question, with Background

In my family we have four players and have typically enjoyed games that are not too long (an hour is really max for us without something special). We tried with Egizia but it was just a tad too long and not the right sort of brain was needed.

Takenoko and Valeria: Card Kingdoms and some forms of Dominion do work. We're trying Villages of Valeria now.

One of the problems is that we have two who are analytical and like complexity, one who can handle it but doesn't like it, and one who can't really handle it.

He is the one who 'thinks differently.' Both he (my son) and I (his father) have had some damage to the brain and some things just don't work right.

What this means for him in particular is that he has amazing attention to detail, but really only for art, and perhaps language, in both of which areas he excels. Games with too many choices, or that require a lot of thinking complexity, just burn him out. He can give up easily, and I don't blame him. Why keep trying when your head just can't do it? Why even play when you will always lose, and your non-damaged brother will lord it over you?

He is very creative. He can come up with ingenious approaches. He sees things differently, from unexpected perspectives. He is amazingly perceptive. I'd love to find ways to accommodate that in a game.

I'm inspired by, for instance, the old Civ game where you had a couple of different avenues of victory, one of which had to do with advances in society. Or the old Age of (something) pc game where you could win with a wonder in addition to winning by domination. For a game to give him a win based on some sort of aesthetic, some metric of beauty, would be such a lovely thing!

I think it's important for us all to keep involved at some level, and I would like very much to keep a bit of thinking as part of the gaming process, because he CAN DO IT, up to a certain limit, though his thinking is, as I have said perhaps too many times, different.

It might be that cooperatives are the way to go. That is a possibility that only suggested itself to me this morning. Then the brother can't lord it over him, and we all can enjoy the level of analysis we prefer. We've had some luck with Forbidden Island, for example, but not so much with the desert version of the same.

Ten minute heist is accessible, partly I think because it is limited both in time and scope. Things are less overwhelming when they don't last _too_ long. Which is another reason why we keep to shorter games.

He does try chess, which both brothers try and they seem to enjoy. But the reality is that it's too much for him, most of the time. They both love it when I stand with them and give them pro-con/commentary for each move, either before or after the move (or both!). But it's hard not to help my special thinker perhaps too much. They don't exactly want that either, and I don't blame them.

A venue which provides some thinking, isn't completely luck, lets even the analysts still stay lighthearted and not too min/max-ish and potentially losing the joy of play and company to our involvement in the analysis - yet still gives even my beloved special thinker some chance at a sense of accomplishment.

What's the chance of finding something like that? Tall bill to fill.

For those of you who slogged all the way through to the end of this too-long post, God bless you! I would be happy to be advised, either here or in direct messaging.

I've tried adding a summary here not only to make sure I got 'em all so far, but also to give credit to those who have helped, and to get an idea how many times names were repeated. It helps me anyway. Hope it helps you, the reader!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Would something like Zendo work? A high attention to visual detail and being able to "think outside the box" seems like they would be great assets in that game It's not a min-max kind of game, and there's lots of opportunity for commentary/analysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe one of the Dixit games, which are a combination of very limited communication and the images on the cards.

Or one of the Codenames games, which are team vs. team wordgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice, relatively quick game with very defined victory paths is Kingdom Builder. Cards come out at the beginning that tell you what you need to do in order to score points. Then its a matter of trying to hit those conditions.
Between Two Cities is a quicker game that functions almost like a co-op but it isn't. You will place tiles in each of your cities each turn. You share your cities with the people sitting next to you so they have some incentive to help you build your cities better. The lower scoring of your two cities is your end game score so your neighbors cannot neglect the city you are building with them or they will suffer as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possibility might be a cooperative storytelling game. For an inexpensive one, check out Rory's Story Cubes. For a more elaborate one, check out Untold: Adventures Await.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zendo is an excellent suggestion.

How is your son with spacial reasoning? Have you tried tile laying games with him yet?
Perhaps:
Bärenpark
Cottage Garden
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Sanssouci
Maharani

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yishmeray Yehudah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Marina SC - fantastic. Thank you so much. I have had a quick look and will take time later to watch reviews. This looks very promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yishmeray Yehudah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bernard Wingrave - the two families look very promising. Just as with Zendo above, I have had a quick look at both Dixit and Codenames, and will get in a deeper dive later. Wanted you to have my thanks right away. Thank you so much! I am truly heartened by these suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yishmeray Yehudah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This looks fantastic! please accept a follow-on thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yishmeray Yehudah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Village Idiot - thank you.

My son excels at spacial reasoning, which is an amazing thing for you to have thought of. Wow!

We have never tried tile-laying games. I am excited at this new arena of possibility. Barenpark is initially promising because he is quite the naturalist - having read dozens of books on animals and drawn many beautifully - our walking encyclopedia of wildlife, so to speak.

Thank you thank you! I'll look at all of these in detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Lucký
Czech Republic
Praha 4
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for Codenames or Codenames: Pictures or Dixit which have already been mentioned I have some more:

Mysterium - this might be perfect. From your description he might be very good ghost/clue giver
Sheriff of Nottingham - this game is about bluffing and guessing, when others are bluffing. Might be interesting (and it is fun)
Spyfall - game about being undercover. Needs a lot of creative social interactions
A Fake Artist Goes to New York - Spyfall combined with drawing
Co-Mix - game about making stories. Nice Dixit-like way of distributing points

As cooperative games go, I'd try Hanabi. It is a lot about listening to other poeple.

This is just my recommendation based on my plays and your description of him. It is just based on my guess, so some of those might be complete miss, but all of those games are light and reasonably simple, yet funny and engaging and not too analytical...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yishmeray Yehudah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you, Jakub Lucky! I will look at these too, and bless you for the kindness. This is a wonderful response, far more than I had hoped for.

The drawing angle sounds promising too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thinking of some games where visuals and pattern recognition would be strengths...

Take a look at Sagrada and Patchwork. I think Sagrada might be really nice because you can select different boards to make it more challenging for some players and it's got a really nice visual aspect and simple, but can be thinky enough to appeal to those who like puzzles.

Maybe a dexterity game like Junk Art would be appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yishmeray Yehudah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you, L B - this is wonderful. I am continuing to be amazed by the kindness of strangers such as yourself. I have done the initial look at all three and there is a great deal of promise there. I will look further, with gratitude to you and all my helpers.

-- Yish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here to suggest Dixit but since that's already on your list: if Dixit works and you want something longer with the card images, how about Mysterium?
If not, Dixit is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For arty and spatial reasoning I would also look atDreams

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Make him paint all the minis in your games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
+1 for Dixit, Cottage Garden, and Sagrada.
Patchwork is a great game too, but only accommodates two players at once.

You might also like to consider:
NMBR 9 - A tile stacking game, with the tiles shaped as various numbers.
Indian Summer - Successor to Cottage Garden, with a nature walk theme and a few more special powers / placement rules.
Kingdomino Another tile-laying puzzle type game which is both quick and tactical.
Junk Art - dexterity based building of abstract 'art' installations. Don't let them fall!

Flick 'em Up! or Ice Cool are also potentially good options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Castle Panic - coop

Break the Safe - coop

Q-bitz - pattern recognition and recreation

Mondo - house rule the real time tile draw to turn based; has animals

Zooloretto / Zooloretto Junior - has animals

My First Carcassonne - has animals
or
Carcassonne: Amazonas - has animals
or
Carcassonne: Over Hill and Dale - has animals

Mexican Train - dominos game

Labyrinth - not sure on this one; you can check out one of the many versions that have been made

+1 Zendo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yishmeray Yehudah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you, Philip Kitching. Mysterium on the list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yishmeray Yehudah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Derry Salewski - Ha! I love it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yishmeray Yehudah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fire_Forever - you're teaching me a great deal, not only about human generosity but also the meaning of these name things on boardgamegeek forums! Thank you so much. More grist for the mill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yishmeray Yehudah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TomandJonna - a kindred spirit indeed, follower of Jesus. Thank you for all these. Let's see if I can keep up. It's wonderful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yishmeray Yehudah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
John M - thank you! Sorry I overlooked your post earlier. Fail for me.
These are intriguing. I will look right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Mueller
msg tools
Have you tried Dixit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.