Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Reilly
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just wanted to chime in on an oldie but a goodie.

This game is a cooperative family game with a combination of memory and deduction, but mostly memory. I normally don't like memory based games, but it really works here. The object of the game is to go from room to room in the haunted castle looking for clues, keys and food. Share the food with talking animal friends in exchange for information. The keys are used to open chests to find the ring and unlock doors in the castle.

The theme of a haunted castle, the components and artwork are really charming and high quality. The main attraction is a sturdy, plastic, talking treasure chest. This is used by pressing the buttons to communicate with the animals to deduce which loyal subject of the king has been put under an evil spell and tricked into stealing a magic ring. If the wizard gets to the castle by 6 o'clock he wins and takes over the kingdom. This is fun even for emerging readers as the buttons are all icons. My son loves pressing the buttons to make the animals talk.

You find treats in the different rooms to feed (bribe) the animals to give you clues narrowing down the suspects. Each animal asks for a specific treat which is where some of the memory aspect plays a role. The box is also the voices of the good fairy, who helps out with clues, and the bad guys the ghost and the evil wizard. These voice overs really add to gameplay and enhance the cooperative element. There is also an app version of this game (for purchase, 2 bucks I think) that also can act as the talking element of the box in addition to the actual game, which is nice to know if the box ever breaks/or stops working due to battery corrosion etc. I bring this up as the game would be unplayable with out the talking element the audio of the box provides.

You have to be efficient with your actions as there is a built in timer in the electronic treasure chest as well as the capability to program three difficulty settings (easy, med, difficult), and so far I am pretty happy with the replayability as we are about ten games in on the medium setting and still having a blast. Once you figure out who stole the ring, go to their room and open their chest With a key, just make sure you save one for this part in order to win in time.

Only slight nit pick is that the box is huge, but other than that it is totally charming and a lot of fun. In fairness the insert is great and is very useful and well designed making set up and breakdown easy. It Goes for about $30 on Amazon in the US and IMO a great value for money based on component quality and game play. Perfect for families and little (but clever) gamers. Very small kids would need a grown up to play with. We found it a bit tricky to win at first until you get used to the system. It took a few plays to win, which made victory sweet. I imagine after many plays one might pick up on a pattern of suspects as another reviewer has discovered, but for now this is just good fun! Highly recommend this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmer Aslaksen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids love it, too. We play it on my iPad, though. Works very well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reilly
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes I plan on purchasing the app too. Wish I grew up,with cool games like this! But that said, I have fond memories of the variety of games I grew up playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.