Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've been curious about this for a while. I just found out that eggertspiele is owned by Plan B games. Plan B games also just launched a secondary imprint, Next Move games. So in this case, we have three 'publishers' which are all actually one group.

Now, I can understand why acquisitions merit keeping separate imprints: in the case of Z-Man games (with Asmodee) or eggertspiele (with Plan B), there's probably some merit in keeping an established brand separate. And this can explain why Asmodee, for example, has FFG for primarily licensed, thematic games, and Z-Man games for offerings like their Euro Classics line.

But I'm more baffled by the 'launch' of Next Move games -- why create a separate imprint for the purposes of publishing a certain type of game? Why not just have a series, like the Kosmos 2-player series, or the Alea big box series -- why does Plan B need to launch an entire imprint, Next Move Games.

I'm not bashing their move, I'm legitimately asking the question -- why do publishers launch various imprints like this? Isn't it beneficial for publishers to have a larger catalog of games? Why split Plan B/Next Move when we're only talking three or four games at this point?

Similarly, why don't publishers eventually try to pare down individual brands? Is there any evidence of publishers consolidating all of their brands and subbrands down to a more manageable number? In my opinion, that would be a good thing for fans: I'd already decided that Plan B, for example, was on my "nice" list and was a publisher I'd definitely check out more often. Now we have Next Move, which is different somehow, or is it? Should I afford it the same prestige in my head?

Why have two names at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Why have two names at all?
Companies will often have different imprints when they plan on aiming at different market segments. For example, they might aim one line as a premium line with consistently better quality, components, etc at a much higher price, while aiming the other as a more economical line at an affordable price, but with more sensible components and quality. You wouldn't want to confuse customers by trying to sell both lines under the same name. Alternatively you might want to use different imprints to segment different game types, separating one imprint for party games and another for Eurogames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Branding, and design / production / marketing / distribution efficiencies.

Same reasons any company/corporation does this in any field.

GM still produces under 6 brand names. Only 6, after acquiring/developing and retiring dozens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiding assets from the tax people, so as to make it harder to actually track what is really happening within a parent company. Accounting chicanery to shift profits and losses around so as to pay less taxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brazil
United States
Jamestown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
NO PROBLEM
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Companies will often have different imprints when they plan on aiming at different market segments. For example, they might aim one line as a premium line with consistently better quality, components, etc at a much higher price, while aiming the other as a more economical line at an affordable price, but with more sensible components and quality. You wouldn't want to confuse customers by trying to sell both lines under the same name. Alternatively you might want to use different imprints to segment different game types, separating one imprint for party games and another for Eurogames.

An example that comes to mind is Wizards of the Coast, which is owned by Hasbro.

The Hasbro brand is associated with family-weight games, so they continued to brand MtG and D&D and other properties as WoC. I couldn't imagine seeing the Hasbro brand on the back of a D&D book. In addition, they seem to use the WoC brand for the Betrayal line, presumably because it's a heavier game.

(This is, of course, speculation; I'm not sure what the specifics of Hasbro's branding is, but it seems logical)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
In my line of work this is very common. The big companies buy out all the smaller companies, but keep the names (being well known or established on their own). They bid on the same project under 5 different names just to increase their chances of getting it.

How this works in the board game world is really unknown to me. I guess if someone gets a bad taste in their mouth about a certain company, they'll still go to that same company under a different name? Maybe they're adding to an illusion of diversity so people don't start to hate them, because everyone hates monopolies (and monopoly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Funny that you mention Alea as an example of how to do it, as that is actually an imprint of Ravensburger.

As for why it's done, as mentioned, it's so that a larger publisher can market/target their games to different sets of consumers. And it's often very successful (see the Alea example above). Also, internally, they often operate as totally separate divisions from each other, complete with different management, budgets, financial goals, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it is temporary.

Buying competition to then wring out any value and discard them is a common business tactic.

"If you can't beat em, buy em"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks all, this makes sense, though I still find it confusing

Pugnax555 wrote:
Funny that you mention Alea as an example of how to do it, as that is actually an imprint of Ravensburger.

As for why it's done, as mentioned, it's so that a larger publisher can market/target their games to different sets of consumers. And it's often very successful (see the Alea example above). Also, internally, they often operate as totally separate divisions from each other, complete with different management, budgets, financial goals, etc.

Aha, see, I had no idea that was the case! Although it makes sense because I've heard Ravensburger in conjunction with many of those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
It also has to do with internal corporate structure I suspect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.