Daniel M
United States
Glencoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love Viticulture (Essential)and for the first time yesterday I played with the Tuscany larger board (just the board, not the other modules). The game did become more strategic and tense but unfortunately I felt it also made the game more clunky and choppy... with quite more book keeping to be done.

With four separate work placement seasons, you are constantly asking other players "have you all passed, can we move to season x?" and you are constantly having to move your token on the wake up track and check if you got the current season bonus.. constantly people forgot "hey did I get my blue card?"

Just checking if anyone had the same experience.

I see people always praising this expansion, but it kinda of broke the spirit of the game for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I suspect this is more of a problem at larger player counts but even then, when people have played it a few times and gotten used to it, I don't think it'll be a problem.

[Edit] At the end of the day, you can always go back to the old board and just use the other two modules if you prefer...

Also, you shouldn't need to keep asking people whether they've passed, as soon as they pass their rooster moves into the next season and take any applicable bonus. It should be clear once everybody's passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I haven't had the same experience.

The wake-up chart does increase bookkeeping overhead, but by such a small amount we don;t notice--basically whoever sits closest takes over as "banker" for that. I tend the drive the game sequence, so I push things along with getting people to announce passing to the next season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel M
United States
Glencoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
I suspect this is more of a problem at larger player counts but even then, when people have played it a few times and gotten used to it, I don't think it'll be a problem.

[Edit] At the end of the day, you can always go back to the old board and just use the other two modules if you prefer...

Also, you shouldn't need to keep asking people whether they've passed, as soon as they pass their rooster moves into the next season and take any applicable bonus. It should be clear once everybody's passed.

Yeah... I def want to try the old board with the other 2 expansion modules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I do not feel it has increased the game length. If anything, the end game comes quicker, which is why I expect the VP trigger was increased.

It definitely increases the game's depth. But I am completely unsure what you mean by "clunky." You are basically doing the same things as the base game but have a few more options, how has it now become clunky? Is it just the added depth? That is a huge plus, as the base game is quite light. My group would likely have abandoned Viti fairly early without the board, so it has made it a much, much better and more interesting game. We'll never go back to the base game.

But yes, the beauty of it is if that overhead is too much for you, stick to the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel M
United States
Glencoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:
No, I do not feel it has increased the game length. If anything, the end game comes quicker, which is why I expect the VP trigger was increased.

It definitely increases the game's depth. But I am completely unsure what you mean by "clunky." You are basically doing the same things as the base game but have a few more options, how has it now become clunky? Is it just the added depth? That is a huge plus, as the base game is quite light. My group would likely have abandoned Viti fairly early without the board, so it has made it a much, much better and more interesting game. We'll never go back to the base game.

But yes, the beauty of it is if that overhead is too much for you, stick to the base game.

I meant the opposite of streamlined... It felt progress across the seasons was slow and broken into too many micro steps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.