Subject: Copyright infringement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristian Benoit
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,
I'm thinking of making my own copy of some games, but do not want to infringe copyrights and patents. As an open source developer, I understand patent pretty well, but copyright a little less. I understand copyright about the artwork, but about game concept/ideas? I believe it might infringe copyrights to sell/give copies of games even with different artwork and that it should be all right to create a copy for self usage. But if I post freely SVG that could be printed on Laser cutter or JSCAD that could be 3D printed (through STL), I'm not sure it's fine as it's about the same end result as giving/selling it. At the same time it's about the same as giving a manual to do it yourself in wood on a workbench.

1. I think that as giving instructions on how to create pieces would give a different end result (a file vs a plastic piece), while it could infringe on patent, does not on copyright?

2. I think that even if I'm playing with a self made version of a commercial game publicly, let's say in a tournament, there's no copyright infringement unless I'm using the same artwork and thus is not badly seen?

I'm mostly thinking about sharing a printable version of ZobristCube for now and I believe it's a good publicity for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kbenoit wrote:
Hi,
I'm thinking of making my own copy of some games, but do not want to infringe copyrights and patents. As an open source developer, I understand patent pretty well, but copyright a little less. I understand copyright about the artwork, but about game concept/ideas? I believe it might infringe copyrights to sell/give copies of games even with different artwork and that it should be all right to create a copy for self usage. But if I post freely SVG that could be printed on Laser cutter or JSCAD that could be 3D printed (through STL), I'm not sure it's fine as it's about the same end result as giving/selling it. At the same time it's about the same as giving a manual to do it yourself in wood on a workbench.

1. I think that as giving instructions on how to create pieces would give a different end result (a file vs a plastic piece), while it could infringe on patent, does not on copyright?

2. I think that even if I'm playing with a self made version of a commercial game publicly, let's say in a tournament, there's no copyright infringement unless I'm using the same artwork and thus is not badly seen?

I'm mostly thinking about sharing a printable version of ZobristCube for now and I believe it's a good publicity for them.

If it was 'good publicity' for them, wouldn't they be offering it?

Perhaps contact them with your plans and see what they say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice tower has discussed this a few times. For example:
http://www.dicetower.com/game-podcast/d6-generation/d6g-ep-4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, it's not important if what you're doing is legal or not, you can still be sued. If you start making a free version available of something that someone is selling, don't expect them to not try and shut you down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
kbenoit wrote:
Hi,

As I understand it, copyright is about protecting the expression of ideas. The Zobrist codebook seems likely to be protected, as might the physical form of the pieces. Publishing these expressions in the form of data files, instead of physical items, doesn't seem likely to offer any relief from copyright protection.

Doing this sort of thing for just personal use mostly does not lead to problems, but that is because the copyright holder is unlikely to ever find out, and even if they do its probably too much effort to take enforcement action.

It seems to me that posting files publicly might very reasonably attract a DMCA takedown notice, or whatever equivalent you have in Canada, with a chance of something worse. If, perchance, you were to profit from downloads, this might aggravate things as sale of copyrighted materials could be a criminal matter. See Wikipedia on Canadian copyright law. IANAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.