United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
Find me on the Pirates CSG VASSAL module
badge
It's a Pirates' Life for me!
mbmbmbmbmb
From the original at MT: http://m.miniaturetrading.com/im/forum/viewtopic/t=9222///

Now that the Rules survey has some results, I think it would be a good idea to discuss some various options in detail.

Here is the second idea in this series, as Woelf alluded to in the main thread.

Are there any changes you would make to the basic crew and linking rules?
[quote]Get rid of links entirely, or give each link its own specific bonus (like "this crew gains ability X if assigned to ship B.")[/quote]

[quote="woelf"]Can't recall if I wrote it in there or not, but what I'd much rather see for the linking rules (instead of a generic +1 cargo) are bonus abilities that appear only when two specific crew or a crew and a ship are put together. The bonus from the link would be printed on only one of the crew involved in the pair, although the match could still say "links with XX".

For example, "Captain Wyatt" has Captain as his standard ability, which is his only ability when placed on 99% of ships in the game. However, when placed on his linked ship, "Dunshire" he gains Helmsman and Reroll.

A crew like [card="75141"]Master Bianco[/card] where cargo would be benefit could still be set up the same way. Instead of the generic link giving +1 cargo, he'd have that ability printed entirely on his card, and would only gain that when paired up with some version of his [card="75061"]Haulers[/card].

It would mean squeezing a little more text onto the cards, but would completely remove any and all confusion caused by the generic rule, especially when dealing with multi-linked crew like the Musketeers or the Knights of Malta. Instead of goofy (but necessary) rules like the "one link at a time" thing, each could gain their own small bonus, or maybe even only one or two of the set would have bonuses while the others didn't get anything extra.[/quote]

I think this is a solid idea, and it could hopefully make links less confusing. The main issue I see is point costs, since the point cost would look a bit off if the abilities didn't match it. I suppose that's fine since it would be an incentive to use the link, but getting (following the example) Helmsman + Reroll for 3 points feels weird to me.

What are your thoughts on this topic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, seems straightforward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.