16 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Post-It note race suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ole Larsen
msg tools
mb
Imagine you had to write notes and play suggestions for each race that had to fit on a post-it note, what would you write?

It's something I've been thinking about as my playgroup is all new players and we have our 2nd game coming up in two weeks time. It's a four player game (1 totally new player, 3 of us have played once before) and the way we will do races is to hand each player 4 randomly selected races and then let them pick one of them (taking the Necro Virus out probably).
And I figured that it might be helpful to have a couple of bulletpoints for each race to help guide you. Not supposed to be super deep, but could be things like "Remember your Warriors can produce at the end of a tactical action" if you are Arborec. "Get Non-Euclidian Shielding" for the Barony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a TI newbie myself, I'm curious to see what others add. subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I did something similar for the custom cards I made to help with race selection. I'll try to remember to post them tonight.

Basically, though, the cards had:

- Race name
- Home planet info (resources/influence)
- Special Ability summary (not full text, just a quick "gist")
- Faction technology summary
- Flagship summary
- Starting technologies
- Commodities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To anyone who plays a race that doesn't start with 2 ships that can transport units... I would highlight the importance of waiting until you get the secondary of Warfare before you activate your home system (either by tactical action or construction's secondary). I'll call this Note 1

Arborec: See Note 1. GET SARWEEN TOOLS!!! It's free ground forces every time you move ground forces. Your Ground Forces produce, so don't waste time on Space Docks.

Barony of Letnev : Noneuclidean shielding. 2nd Space Dock in home allows 10 unit production!

Brotherhood of Yin: Use Indoctrination. Sometimes, the threat of Devotion and Van Hauge are as important and using them.

Clan of Saar: Your Space dock can move! It can produce after moving! It has Capacity 4! Don't forget your trade good for taking control of a planet.

Embers of Muuat: See Note 1. Your racial Promissory Note might be your biggest power. Use it to get rich, then upgrade to WS II.

Emirates of Hacan: You can trade with everyone. You can trade Action Cards.

Federation of Sol: You get 3 CTs during Status instead of 2. When you get Flagship, you get 1 GF EVERY Status phase. Don't Forget!

Ghosts of Creuss: See note 1. Use, abuse, and dominate wormholes/board position.

L1Z1X Mindnet: Don't forget to produce after you Assimilate a space dock. Your Dreads are pretty cool.

Mentak Coalition: See Note 1. Get Cruiser II. Make a lot of neighbors. Your Flagship counters fleets of large ships.

Naalu Collective: See Note 1. You always go first. You get to score objectives first! Hybrid Crystal Fighter II makes fighters count as 1/2 Capacity. (Fighter Swarms)

Nekro Virus: See Note 1(this time the need is GF). Don't forget to go for points, you can't win just copying tech. Your flagship is ridiculous, so get it. Take Tech everytime you can.

Sardaak N'orr: DON'T FORGET YOUR +1 TO ROLLS. It's all you've got. Exotrireme II is pretty good too.**The smaller the ships, the bigger your advantage**

Universities of JolNar: See Note 1(you need more GF). Slow and Steady. If you strike out too early, you will be crushed. You have no need to ever take Tech when picking Strategy cards early

Winnu: See note 1. Take Mecatol Rex. Try and convince the table that even though you took Mecatol Rex early, it doesn't mean you're the biggest threat. Get Hegemonic Trade Policy to make MR into the best production planet in the game.

Xxcha: See note 1. Get PDS II. Use PDS II and Flagship and Graviton to destroy fleets without even attacking.

Yssaril Tribes: Stay sneaky. Try not to be overt with your actions and plans. Your Techs, Racials, and Flagship will all help with this.

That's my best shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Naz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had had one little point to add to a sticky note.
Avemo3 wrote:
Xxcha: See note 1. Get PDS II. Use PDS II and Flagship and Graviton to destroy fleets without even attacking.

"Think of your flagship as having AFB, but for capital ships- USE IT OFFENSIVELY."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avemo3 wrote:
Brotherhood of Yin: Use Indoctrination. Sometimes, the threat of Devotion and Van Hauge are as important and using them.

Typo here. Should be "as important as using them," I think.

Avemo3 wrote:
That's my best shot.

Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hendry
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avemo3 wrote:
To anyone who plays a race that doesn't start with 2 ships that can transport units... I would highlight the importance of waiting until you get the secondary of Warfare before you activate your home system (either by tactical action or construction's secondary). I'll call this Note 1

Arborec: See Note 1. GET SARWEEN TOOLS!!! It's free ground forces every time you move ground forces. Your Ground Forces produce, so don't waste time on Space Docks.

Barony of Letnev : Noneuclidean shielding. 2nd Space Dock in home allows 10 unit production!

Clan of Saar: Your Space dock can move! It can produce after moving! It has Capacity 4! Don't forget your trade good for taking control of a planet.

Embers of Muuat: See Note 1. Your racial Promissory Note might be your biggest power. Use it to get rich, then upgrade to WS II.

Emirates of Hacan: You can trade with everyone. You can trade Action Cards.

Federation of Sol: You get 3 CTs during Status instead of 2. When you get Flagship, you get 1 GF EVERY Status phase. Don't Forget!

Ghosts of Creuss: See note 1. Use, abuse, and dominate wormholes/board position.

L1Z1X Mindnet: Don't forget to produce after you Assimilate a space dock. Your Dreads are pretty cool.

Mentak Coalition: See Note 1. Get Cruiser II. Make a lot of neighbors. Your Flagship counters fleets of large ships.

Naalu Collective: See Note 1. You always go first. You get to score objectives first! Hybrid Crystal Fighter II makes fighters count as 1/2 Capacity. (Fighter Swarms)

Nekro Virus: See Note 1(this time the need is GF). Don't forget to go for points, you can't win just copying tech. Your flagship is ridiculous, so get it. Take Tech everytime you can.

Sardaak N'orr: DON'T FORGET YOUR +1 TO ROLLS. It's all you've got. Exotrireme II is pretty good too.

Universities of JolNar: See Note 1(you need more GF). Slow and Steady. If you strike out too early, you will be crushed. You have no need to ever take Tech when picking Strategy cards early

Winnu: See note 1. Take Mecatol Rex. Try and convince the table that even though you took Mecatol Rex early, it doesn't mean you're the biggest threat. Get Hegemonic Trade Policy to make MR into the best production planet in the game.

Yssaril Tribes: Stay sneaky. Try not to be overt with your actions and plans. Your Techs, Racials, and Flagship will all help with this.

That's my best shot.

Might I suggest a Note 2 that reads "if you want to build Fighter swarms or lots of Infantry, get two Space Docks in a single system" and apply it to Sol and Sardakk N'orr?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Schumacher
msg tools
Avemo3 wrote:

Why is it important to get the strategy tech all the time? Isn't it just 3 CC? Like leadership? And with leadership u go first next round.

Or do I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flerik Flandeg
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By doing this you are denying anyone at the table from getting a free tech. Therefore making it harder for them to fulfill tech based objectives and forcing them to spend on tech rather than fleets and what not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Schumacher
msg tools
norwegianpidgeon wrote:
By doing this you are denying anyone at the table from getting a free tech. Therefore making it harder for them to fulfill tech based objectives and forcing them to spend on tech rather than fleets and what not.

But if the neighbors don't get tech u can't steal them(?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Groesbeck
United States
Marlboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MatteSan wrote:
norwegianpidgeon wrote:

But if the neighbors don't get tech u can't steal them(?)

Most players will do the secondary of tech in the early and mid game. So your neighbors will still be getting tech, just more expensively (potentially, for one of them anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, here are the cards I made to summarize the races.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MatteSan wrote:
Avemo3 wrote:

Why is it important to get the strategy tech all the time? Isn't it just 3 CC? Like leadership? And with leadership u go first next round.

Or do I miss something?

Also, you can buy CCs 3 for 6 resources. Then you don't need to concern yourself with Influence at all. It had the added bonus of making sure it's always played so your neighbors get tech, but never letting an opponent get more than one.

If everyone is limited to one except you, you can end up gaining a large tech advantage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, you won't ever need to stall to use warfare secondary, and since you're going last with all those CTs, you'll have opportunities to do several actions in a row after everyone passes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm brain farting... can someone please explain what you mean in note 1 a bit more explicitly?

"I would highlight the importance of waiting until you get the secondary of Warfare before you activate your home system (either by tactical action or construction's secondary)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Glassman
United States
Peru
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
If you activate your home system before you use the secondary of warfare, you will be unable to move the units that you created in your home system out of that system as you cannot move units out of a system that has been activated. The secondary of warfare lets you use a strategy counter to build in your home system, but you do not put that strategy counter in your home system. Rather, you put it into your reinforcements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.