Zachary Huff
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my entry thread for the 2018 54-Card Game Design Contest!

The president of Mrs. Turner's 3rd Grade class has been removed amid a cheating scandal during a spelling test. A special election has been called for, and you want the position more than anything else! Work to influence the opinions and beliefs of the coolest kids in the class while modifying your opinions and beliefs to become the candidate that the class will want to elect!

Electioneering consists of 52 cards, and will take 10-20 minutes to play!

Three player election in progress!

Categories for your consideration:

Best Overall Game
Best Artwork
Best Graphical Design
Most Unique Game

Downloads:

Rules available HERE!

Cards available HERE!

Low-ink files: Rules and Cards

Thanks to my amazing fiancee Deiana for helping the game look amazing and to bgarthwaite for the solid feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Electioneering (2018 54-Card Game Design Contest)
Interested...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Huff
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Electioneering (2018 54-Card Game Design Contest) Components Available
UPDATES!

Playtesting has been going very well, it seems as though the only major issue is tightening up the wording on the cards. Any feedback on that would be greatly appreciated!

The artwork and card design has also been going incredibly well, we are definitely on track to have things finished up in a week or two!

Here's the game's logo:

And here's the students of the game:

As usual, any and all feedback is very appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garthwaite
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Re: [WIP] Electioneering (2018 54-Card Game Design Contest) Components Available
That's a good-looking set of smiles you've got there. Now I'm both curious and frightened to see what the Eating Gross Things/Awards art looks like.

I took a quick look through the rules and card text. Just off the top of my head, here are some slightly less wordy versions:

"Take any card from the student row this is played on, then play 1 card from your hand to the same student row" -> "Exchange an additional card in this row for a card from your hand."

"Take up all cards of this suit from the student row this is played on, then play that number of cards to the same student row" -> "Exchange all cards with this suit in this row for an equal number of cards from your hand."

As for the #1 cards, could you clarify the game's scoring? My interpretation from the rules is that the highest value of a single card (say, #4 Awards) determines what the student cares about, rather than the sum of card values. Players, on the other hand, do sum the values in their hand to see who's won over the student.

In the event that a student has all 4 #1 Awards cards, plus a Combo Eating Gross Things/Awards card, and is then locked with a #4 Romance Gossip card... they're swayed by Awards at a value of 5? But if two of those #1 Awards cards were instead #2 Awards, the Romance Gossip would win at a value of 4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Huff
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking a look!

Those two texts (the text from the #2 and #3 cards) have been giving me some trouble. The hardest part is that the player first takes a card to their hand (for #2) or all of the cards from the suit that was played to their hand (for #3) first, and then plays a card (for #2) or however many cards they picked up (for #3) from their hand. Theoretically, a player could play a card that was already played on the student row with this action, if they so choose. I know that there is a simpler way to word it, I just haven't hit on it yet...

And the scoring for the student rows should play exactly like that of each player's hand (adding the values of each suit), so I definitely need to clarify that. Does that make the scoring for the #1 cards more clear?

Related aside:I had originally had the student rows only consider the number of cards played in each suit, but it seemed to make players only value high cards in their hands. Games would be heavily influenced by the luck of the draw. The decisions for playing cards seems a little more interesting when the sum of cards for each suit is relevant in both the student rows and their hand.

In your example of all 4 #1 Awards cards, the combo #1 Eating Gross Things/Awards card, and the #4 Romance Gossip card (which would lock the student row), the scoring would be as follows:

Awards: 21 (each #1 card would be 1 x 5 #1 Awards cards on the student row, plus 1 from the Eating Gross Things/Awards card)
Eating gross things: 1
Romance Gossip: 4

So the student would definitely be for Awards by quite a large margin.

If the example was 2 #1 Awards cards, 2 #2 Awards cards, the combo #1 Eating Gross Things/Awards card, and the #4 Romance Gossip card (which would lock the student row), the scoring would be as follows:

Awards: 11 (each #1 card would be 1 x 3 #1 Awards cards on the student row for a grand total of 6, plus 4 from the #2 cards, and 1 from the Eating Gross Things/Awards card)
Eating Gross Things: 1
Romance Gossip: 4

So the student would still be for Awards by a smaller margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Huff
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules document has been updated to offer a bit more clarity in scoring. Hat tip to bgarthwaite for bringing some of the issues to my attention!

Another change of note is the following chart, which offers updated wording on the abilities for the cards:

The cards are also updated, featuring the above updated wording.

As always, any and all feedback is appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garthwaite
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
somuchfail wrote:
I know that there is a simpler way to word it, I just haven't hit on it yet...

Have you considered an iconographic solution? You could then offload the text descriptions to the rulebook, where brevity is less critical. There are only four special actions, and the "lock" action's dead simple, which makes them relatively easy to memorize or reference. You don't have enough spare cards to create 4 player references with the details, but that'd be handy for a version of the game outside the contest's restrictions.

somuchfail wrote:
And the scoring for the student rows should play exactly like that of each player's hand (adding the values of each suit), so I definitely need to clarify that. Does that make the scoring for the #1 cards more clear?

It does. The #1 cards have the additional confusing wrinkle of "in either a student row or a player’s hand," which I now understand to mean "in the student row, this applies to student row cards only; in the player's hand, this applies to card in hand only." I can definitely see the opportunity for players to misinterpret that in creative ways.

Some of the confusion stems from overlap in the way the rules use the terms "suit" and "number," sometimes meaning the value of a single card, sometimes the sum of multiple card values, sometimes the suit itself, independent of value. Where the rules text reads "Add up the suits of the cards played..." is somewhat murky. Something like "Add up the card values in each suit..." might be more direct. Likewise, where it says "determining which player has the highest number in the suit(s)" could suggest you're comparing the highest-value single card, rather than the total.

An example or two, like the ones here in the thread, would go a long way to making things clear. And, yeah, using the summed values in the rows and in hand is much more interesting.

Oh, and as I skim through the rules, the phrase "suit that student cares most about" really sticks out. If anything in the game is crying out for a handy, single-word, official term, that's it. These kids are single-issue voters, but I wish I had a snappier term for it.

EDIT: Noticed the updated chart, and the wording looks good at first glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Huff
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bgarthwaite wrote:
Have you considered an iconographic solution?

I have actually thought about using icons, but I think that my fiancee may kill me if I put anything else on her plate during the contest... I am definitely looking into this after the contest though!

bgarthwaite wrote:
Some of the confusion stems from overlap in the way the rules use the terms "suit" and "number," sometimes meaning the value of a single card, sometimes the sum of multiple card values, sometimes the suit itself, independent of value. Where the rules text reads "Add up the suits of the cards played..." is somewhat murky. Something like "Add up the card values in each suit..." might be more direct. Likewise, where it says "determining which player has the highest number in the suit(s)" could suggest you're comparing the highest-value single card, rather than the total.

That is definitely an area that I need to clean up in the rules. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions on the fix!

bgarthwaite wrote:
Oh, and as I skim through the rules, the phrase "suit that student cares most about" really sticks out. If anything in the game is crying out for a handy, single-word, official term, that's it. These kids are single-issue voters, but I wish I had a snappier term for it.

I will definitely work on some sort of wording/phrasing to clean that up!

Thanks for all of your feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.