Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm almost finished with a proof reading version of a rulebook for Star Trek: Ascendancy that collects all expansion rules and FAQs.

This rulebook will also try to answer all outstanding questions with play tested and simple answers (albeit unofficial).

It will follow the same general style as my other collected rulebooks:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/68433/battlestar-galactic...
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/79862/complete-rulebook-f...
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/145575/colt-express-combi...
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/150131/combined-rules-spa...
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/150670/last-night-earth-c...

I'm now looking for a few Star Trek: Ascendancy veterans willing to read the rules and tell me what I've missed. If you are willing to try them while playing that would also be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davon Collins
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Would this be more aesthetically pleasing if it were blue?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to help with a read-through.

-D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll get back to you both in a geekmail in a few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Fernandez
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
badge
Ludo Ergo Sum
mbmbmbmbmb
also interested,.... I could do a spanish translation of your rulebook If you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itus wrote:
also interested,.... I could do a spanish translation of your rulebook If you want to.

That would be great!

I'll send you a geekmail too in a few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can also give it a read over if you like.

David.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Knox
msg tools
mb
I'd be happy too. I worked on Seas of Glory for Merchants and Marauders exansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Knox
msg tools
mb
One other thing is the player pool has allowed us to have a lot of 5 player games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BalrogJDK wrote:
One other thing is the player pool has allowed us to have a lot of 5 player games as well.

I love those!

Can't wait to play six or seven!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Rotella
msg tools
Definitely interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now sent v0.1 out to those who showed an interest.

For the moment there is no need for more proof-readers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you accomplish this? The digital pdf original rulebook i have is all images, no text, which is extremely painful since i always search over rulebooks when I'm playing a game,. Makes lookup a lot faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghorro wrote:
How did you accomplish this? The digital pdf original rulebook i have is all images, no text, which is extremely painful since i always search over rulebooks when I'm playing a game,. Makes lookup a lot faster.

My Mac did all the work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug VanDerMark
United States
Solvay
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am also interested. Thanks for your consideration

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dillon

California
msg tools
I look forward to seeing this. I've played a couple of times with my coworkers, but we had many questions as we tried to figure out how to implement the rules and I had extra pages of clarifications to sort through as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Ghorro wrote:

My Mac did all the work...

Are you editing text in images? I don't get this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the right tools you can bring text out of an image. Check out "ocr". In this case I have also rewritten a lot of the text to make it clearer, correct errors and remove redundancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Knox
msg tools
mb
I'm up to page 36 so far. It's really good. The only edits I have so far are:
3.5.5 Discarded projects should go to the bottom of the advancement deck
Page 15 it took me awhile to find the footnote 21 on the header bar.
Page 23; top left, the Federation trade agreement in the example has a 7 (instead of a 1?)
Page 28 8.7.1 It should say something to the effect that the first player to survive the planetary hazard resolves the face down exploration card.

It is an interesting concept to add a Starbase into planetary defenses and I can see where you are coming from in hegemony attempts. I'll try to integrate this into our next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BalrogJDK wrote:
I'm up to page 36 so far. It's really good. The only edits I have so far are:
3.5.5 Discarded projects should go to the bottom of the advancement deck
Page 15 it took me awhile to find the footnote 21 on the header bar.
Page 23; top left, the Federation trade agreement in the example has a 7 (instead of a 1?)
Page 28 8.7.1 It should say something to the effect that the first player to survive the planetary hazard resolves the face down exploration card.

It is an interesting concept to add a Starbase into planetary defenses and I can see where you are coming from in hegemony attempts. I'll try to integrate this into our next game.

Great comments! I'll work them into v0.2.

When it comes to 3.5.5 it actually doesn't matter if they are discarded to the bottom since Focused Research is in effect.

I'd appreciate it if you would send further comments through geekmail. That will make it easier for me to track who has responded and in what order. v0.2 will be sent to those who respond to v0.1 (but I probably need a few more days to complete v0.2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davon Collins
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Would this be more aesthetically pleasing if it were blue?
mbmbmbmbmb
[Also emailed to Mattias]

This is really great. In addition to all the art and design you obviously put into it, it's very well organized and reads very well. I also like how you always clearly differentiated between what are express rules, late GS9 clarifications, and your own rule contributions.

Some minor edits/questions:
1) On page 23, top of first column, it says a "Federation 7 Production Agreement," which I think is meant to be a "Federation 1 Production Agreement."

2) Rule 8.3, Entering Rival Territory: You have here a rule that "you may move freely through Sectors with Ships belonging to Peaceful Rivals." This is different from the game rule that "you may ask for permission to enter or move through a Sector which contains rivals' ships with whom you are at Peace." If you are going to use that Concise Rulebook blocking rule (free movement thru peaceful rivals), I would suggest adding in the Optional Rules section, the game blocking rule - you could call it "Negotiated Access" or something like that.
Personally, in my games to date, the negotiation of access between trading partners has been a big part of the diplomacy. As in, yes, I will allow you to pass through *these particular ships* to attack some other faction, but, no, I will not let you send a fleet anywhere near my homeworld, dear friend.

3) I like your delayed Delta Connection rule - if only because, even though it's possible to rally a defense against the Borg, I've found it less fun to have that be your *sole focus* so early on - mustering ships to take a stand on the most direct path of the Borg.\

4) 10.1 Scoring Hits. Your addition of starbases to planet defense in non-Borg situations, how has that worked for you? My play group, to date, has been using starbases just for space battles. Would you use the same starbase twice in one turn - first for a space battle in orbit, then for a following invasion?

5) Looks like the Appendices are still being worked on? Will review in subsequent version and comment then.

Once again, this is great and will be a welcome resource. I hope GS9 takes notes and sends you some free expansions or something for your efforts.

-D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
v0.2 has been sent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szymon Koralewski
Poland
Kalisz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested. I could do a polish translation of your rulebook If you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krionah wrote:
Interested. I could do a polish translation of your rulebook If you want to.

PM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Knox
msg tools
mb
We have played once with including a Star Base in planetary invasions. The one die isn't that big a difference just as it isn't in Space Battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.