Majesty: For the Realm» Forums » General

Subject: Side B game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
This was a 2 player game, and the experience would probably be different at 3.

But I really liked it much less than A side. The game was entirely won around grabbing as many soldiers as possible. Nothing else seemed to matter (Except getting value out of Nobles) Soldiers now count themelves, Inn-keepers and Nobles. So they can get you tons of points.

The soldier are much harder to mitigate for the following reasons.

- Witches now only count themselves to score. So countering soldiers with them put you at a net point disadvantage against your opponent.

- Guard house can now give passive points to opponents, and scores Brewers and Witches. This is an issue because Witches now award much less points, and getting them early is usually bad. So it's scoring on the least desirable card. As guards have to be taken pre-emptively, you will most likely miss out on multipliers

-The guardhouse majority bonus has been reduced to 8 points, from 13.

-The minus 10 point penalty is too good to pass up. If it's tied all your opponents lose ten points. It's just a no brainer.

Beyond that. Scoring big with inn-keepers was difficult considering you only get 12 turns.

I think 2 player offers a worse experience overall. But let me know if you had similar experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds like a pretty definitive verdict after just one game.
Worth posting a new thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
beri2 wrote:

If it isn't, then that comment is equally irrelevant since the thread is already made.

If you'd like to share your own 2 player B side experience, feel free.

I find 2 player less enjoyable than 3 or 4 no matter which side is used.

It seems obvious to me that there are less ways around soldiers with a B setup than with an A one. If you'd like to disagree, do so. But I don't feel that sarcasm offers anything useful to any discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LorenZo Mos
Italy
Trieste
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread I'm asking about some nice combination between A and B side... that because I have noticed some of the things you say in your arguments.
Anyway I found more interesting the distribution of the final majority poits that does not follow an increasing order from 10 to 16.
I mean... it would be pitty if they use the B side location’s values also for A side.

I'm sorry for my English

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Phaseshifter wrote:
beri2 wrote:

If it isn't, then that comment is equally irrelevant since the thread is already made.
My point is, if many people posted their verdict after one play, the forums would just be full of fairly shallow topics and one would struggle to find a solid one.

Maybe just asking "What are your observations about side B game strategy?", waiting till you had 5-6 more plays to share your final, more insightful views, would have provided a more helpful approach and topic for the whole community’s reference.

I’m sure if something is too powerful then all players will go for it and so it will somehow be automitigated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
LorenZo_M wrote:
In another thread I'm asking about some nice combination between A and B side... that because I have noticed some of the things you say in your arguments.
Anyway I found more interesting the distribution of the final majority poits that does not follow an increasing order from 10 to 16.
I mean... it would be pitty if they use the B side location’s values also for A side.

I'm sorry for my English

How many players in your game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
beri2 wrote:
Phaseshifter wrote:
beri2 wrote:

My point is, if many people posted their verdict after one play, the forums would just be full of fairly shallow topics and one would struggle to find a solid one.

Maybe just asking "What are your observations about side B game strategy?", waiting till you had 5-6 more plays to share your final, more insightful views, would have provided a more helpful approach and topic for the whole community’s reference.

I’m sure if something is too powerful then all players will go for it and so it will somehow be automitigated.

The forum IS full of one play reviews lol.

This isn't my first game. I know how the game works, and I know what synergy is. It's not like I wrote this right after opening the box.

The thing is, is't not often possible for all players to go for something in a game like Majesty, because card distribution will more often than not give one player opportunities that other players don't have.

If everyone has 5 meeples, what matters is who's turn it is when a soldier shows up. This usually makes for a bad experience, because you can lose through nothing but random chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
If everyone has 5 meeples, what matters is who's turn it is when a soldier shows up. This usually makes for a bad experience, because you can lose through nothing but random chance.
There is some randomness in Majesty yes. But if a player pays 4-5 meeples for a soldier, they’re gonna be broke for at least the next turn and possibly be able to take nothing worthy. And if they do that all the time, well… I’m not sure they’re fighting the right fight.

Just found something else that made witches worthy: they spare you the −2VP from the injured + might spare you the −10 from majority.

Will come back when I’ve played more of B side.

Phaseshifter wrote:
So we should just keep making it worse? Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
beri2 wrote:
Quote:
There is some randomness in Majesty yes. But if a player pays 4-5 meeples for a soldier, they’re gonna be broke for at least the next turn and possibly be able to take nothing worthy. And if they do that all the time, well… I’m not sure they’re fighting the right fight.

Just found something else that made witches worthy: they spare you the −2VP from the injured + might spare you the −10 from majority.

Will come back when I’ve played more of B side.

Phaseshifter wrote:
So we should just keep making it worse? Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Randomness is expected. But when one card has much more impact than others, it pushes the effect of randomness further than I, and I believe most people, find enjoyable.

Quote:
So we should just keep making it worse?

This isn't a one play review. It's not a review at all, so I don't feel concerned. My review is in the review section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn’t say it was a review. I said topic (aka thread).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
beri2 wrote:
I didn’t say it was a review. I said topic (aka thread).

I don't see the problem. People most often will make observations and give their opinion of their first game. This isn't my first game, so I don't see how it would be any less relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Can innkeepers count themselves if you have more innkeepers than any other cards? We assumed so, so don't let one person have them all, which is harder in 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, they count themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.