Hide
6 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Help with running Demos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Frick
msg tools
I'm looking at the possibility of running some demos for KD:M in the coming weeks for people who haven't yet experienced the game. I have pictures of the Lion demo from the 2015 GenCon, but I don't have any expansions yet to use last years.

With that said, does anyone have any ideas for some potential demo material or scenarios that could be easily run? I don't think time would really be a factor but with the variability in a LY I don't want to just try to slog through with a new group.

All help welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Penderville
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What's wrong with just running the prologue lion fight? Its specifically designed to serve as an introduction to the rules while still having a lot of action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schock
msg tools
mb
The prologue's a good idea. You could also run a Lv. 1 Lion, without terrain. Everyone should have a couple different pieces of Rawhide armor, 1 weapon (everyone should have something different, use Bone Smith & Catarium only) and possibly something to use their activation on besides a weapon. Good examples would be the Rawhide Headband, Bandages, Whisker Harp, Frenzy Drink, Cat Eye Circlet and Rawhide Drum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Honn
msg tools
Yes, I think the second idea there is good. The prologue fight is fundamentally a tutorial, not a demo. It doesn't show off the stuff that is in the game very much. So going for a few well defined character archetypes should make it more interesting and still make it easy for the player, since each player only really needs to understand how their character works.

Might want to give everyone some extra armor. It's a boring demo if someone just dies round 2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schock
msg tools
mb
But it would be thematic. As I told the group I ran a similar demo with: "I expect you to win. I don't expect you all to survive..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panwuan Panwuan
msg tools
mbmb
TBH, depends of the group. if they are veterans, i would even suggest a Phoenix lvl 1 demo. Why? it has a more advance play that you can taste the full depth of the game. you would need a "saveState" from an advanced campaign, probably with 4 LY12+ survivors where phoenix LVL1s are not a big deal.

If the demo is for newer to the hobby, the prologue Lion is a simple already available "demo"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.