Finished!» Forums » General

Subject: Triangular Number Sequence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
The Take Sweet automatic action is on cards 00:03, 00:06, 00:10, 00:15, 00:21, 00:28, 00:36, and 00:45, which is the Triangular Number sequence (excluding the leading 0 and 1). Is there some significance to this or is it simply a Friedemann Friese joke?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that the designer worked very carefully on the distribution of cards like "take sweets" to ensure that players would get sweets (and other benefits) with an appropriate frequency throughout the game, even as cards are scored and removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximiliano Sanchez de Bustamante
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the position used on each type of card seems far less than casual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the cards on hand. Are there other sequences etc. with the other actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so obvious, at least to me.

Exchange Cards: 13, 22, 33, 39, 43
All Cards into the Future: 16, 24, 26, 35, 38
One Card into the Future: 12, 19, 32, 40
Cards from the Past: 8, 18, 30, 44
Cards into the Past: 5, 11, 17, 23, 25, 41
Below Stack: 4, 7, 29, 42
Draw a Card: 2, 9, 14, 20, 27, 31, 34, 46, 47

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
PiHalbe wrote:
I don't have the cards on hand. Are there other sequences etc. with the other actions?

No, just the Take Sweet cards.

What struck me was that the designer could have simply made cards 1-8 be the Take Sweet cards. Instead, he used the sequence of Cards 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, 28, 36, and 45.

This triangular series is used in lots of games when allocating points. Feld uses this frequently (e.g., in Trajan, you lose 4 VP for 1 unmet demand, 9 VP for 2 unmet demands, and 15 VP for 3 unmet demands). I'm sure lots of games have relied on this series because the more you "accomplish," the more points you score incrementally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
What struck me was that the designer could have simply made cards 1-8 be the Take Sweet cards. Instead, he used the sequence of Cards 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, 28, 36, and 45.

The game would be much harder if they were 1-8.

Once you'd scored cards 1-8, you would be hard pressed for Sweets for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
gillum wrote:
I suspect that the designer worked very carefully on the distribution of cards like "take sweets" to ensure that players would get sweets (and other benefits) with an appropriate frequency throughout the game, even as cards are scored and removed.

My point wasn't about the number of Take Sweet cards but which of the 48 cards had the Take Sweet action. 8 cards have this action, and he could have assigned the action to cards 1-8. Instead, he assigned the action to cards 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, 28, 36, and 45. I found that curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
gillum wrote:
schnel wrote:

The game would be much harder if they were 1-8.

Once you'd scored cards 1-8, you would be hard pressed for Sweets for the rest of the game.

Ah! Of course. :)
So Take Sweet cards are removed from play at a slower and slower pace. Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are scoring cards in ascending order, if sweets are in 1-8 cards you will run out of sweets pretty quickly, because all cards that give sweets are out of the game, they are in the scoring pile and you only relay on moving large sequences of cards from present area to the past area to gain more sweets.
In that case it will be much more difficult beat the game and maybe been imposible to solve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:

So Take Sweet cards are removed from play at a slower and slower pace. Interesting.

Yes, the game helps to keep your stash with sweets through the game long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.