Unearth» Forums » General

Subject: Unearth: Is there enough meat here to play several times? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Chand
United States
California
flag msg tools
Recently, I stumbled across Unearth in a 'Top 10 games of 2017' list. I was intrigued by the art of the game and decided to dig into the game further. Upon learning the game mechanics, I realized that this might actually be a great game that has an exceptional balance of luck and strategy. The one down side seems to be that the replay-ability on this game is not as high as what I would expect from a game of this weight (light-medium). This is a big concern for me since I have a relatively small budget for new games this year and even less space on my shelf.

So, what do I need from the BGG community? Well, I'd like to hear your own personal accounts of the game. How has it been in your gaming group? How many times you have brought it out and what you personally think about it's replay-ability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of this weight, meaning? It’s a fairly light dice rolling game. The replayability is decent, because it’s generated by the situation on the cards (how many dice, which numbers). But it doesn’t have much staying power - even if decisions matter and differ, the general framework for the game is quite similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Chand
United States
California
flag msg tools
rattkin wrote:
Game of this weight, meaning? It’s a fairly light dice rolling game. The replayability is decent, because it’s generated by the situation on the cards (how many dice, which numbers). But it doesn’t have much staying power - even if decisions matter and differ, the general framework for the game is quite similar.

Game of this weight meaning that it's a lighter game. Usually light games should have a lot of replay-ability for me to want to buy it which is what I was concerned with. I think your comments seem to agree with the general consensus.

Thanks for your input :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
trim9001 wrote:
Game of this weight meaning that it's a lighter game. Usually light games should have a lot of replay-ability

That's... interesting approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Chand
United States
California
flag msg tools
rattkin wrote:
That's... interesting approach.

Lighter games tend to make it out to the table a lot more with my game group than the heavier games so my personal selection for lighter weight games almost always has to have replay value in mind. A game the group gets bored of quickly will not have much staying power. Since money + space are both limited resources, I take the replay value of a game into consideration heavily when purchasing new games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I was always under the impression that lighter games, in general, have low replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Chand
United States
California
flag msg tools
I don't think that necessarily has to be the case. I hate to bring this example up but Codenames is a great example of a really light and repayable game. Sure, it lacks depth and strategy, but it makes up for it with the countless combinations of words that you can connect. Another nice light game with good variation is Tiny Epic Galaxies although I could see that it and Unearth struggle with the same issues with staying power.

I'm still thinking about Unearth and maybe it will end up making it to my collection at the end of the day! Who knows, maybe I'm just too pick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ewing
United States
Kasson
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Personally I got a lot a replayability out of this game. I played it 19 times last year (second most of any of my games). It seemed to work well with all of the groups I played with and was easy to teach. Also my wife loves it. I will admit it hasn't come up lately but I have been itching to get it out and probably will soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.