Subject: Stalemate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
A very unusual situation occurred in one of the online games on the BoardGamePlay site:

* according to the rules:
Quote:
If you Generated on your previous turn, you must choose to work

* but then, rules also say the following:
Quote:
To place on a location, you must have sufficient resources to perform the location's action
and for "Oil Drilling" location, this:
Quote:
An Oil Well may only be placed in an unpolluted space marked by the Drilling symbol. If no such space is available, you may not drill for Oil.

* in order to place a worker on the "free" location that requires no resources to be spent, the requirement is:
Quote:
you must be placing the tallest stack in the location
(i.e. you either stack enough energy under your worker or you can't use that location)

Now, the situation we got is this:

* player's previous turn was "Generate", yet they rolled no dice (they had none of their own dice and no Oil to gain temporary petroleum dice) and thus generated no energy

* on current player's turn, they are not able to place a worker on any board location b/c they either have no resources to perform location's action (in fact, they have no resources at all) or - for "free" actions - b/c there's another player's worker placed there and current player has no energy to stack under their worker in order to activate that location (and their oil drilling spaces aren't empty either)

So, all in all - a classic "stalemate" situation.

I was wondering if Luke could help us to figure this one out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You Generate again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting case. without resources, a player can still go to several positions on the board, but if they're all blocked, and the player has no energy, I'd have to agree with Eric - this would be an exception where a player could generate again. With the thousands of people who've played, I've never heard of this occurring, but I guess it is possible if a player is getting no energy and not keeping any resources, and is also blocking their oil spaces on their environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
LL Games wrote:
That's an interesting case. without resources, a player can still go to several positions on the board, but if they're all blocked, and the player has no energy, I'd have to agree with Eric - this would be an exception where a player could generate again. With the thousands of people who've played, I've never heard of this occurring, but I guess it is possible if a player is getting no energy and not keeping any resources, and is also blocking their oil spaces on their environment.

If I were them I'd also change my strategy immediately, as whatever they've been doing all game doesn't seem to be working at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
LL Games wrote:

Perfect, thanks Luke!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.